“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 58 Reviews
Long Beach, California
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I spend the month of July traveling throughout Thailand and ended our trip at Monte Vista. We really did not know what to expect as we had volunteered at a few other places throughout Thailand and one of which was definitely not what we were looking for. I was very happy when we arrived to Monte Vista because it exceeded my expectations. Our bungalow and the remaining grounds were kept in great condition. There were definitely some geckos sharing our bungalow with us, but their presence is inevitable and you learn to share your space with them as Koh Phagnan is just as much their home as it is ours. Plus, they keep all the other unwanted creatures as bay. Jackie and the staff were very wonderful to us and I grew to appreciate and care for each one of them. I was feeling under the weather for a portion of my stay and Jackie was very helpful and caring in giving me advice. The daily yoga practice was really great and rewarding, Gabby is a great teacher and I really was sad to leave her class when I had to go. The Ayurvedic meal is kitchery, not my first choice in a meal but I signed up for a detox meal, not a gourmet experience. After my detox was done, however, I enjoyed all of the meals that Su cooked. She is a fantastic cook as well as a very special person and I was incredibly sad to say goodbye to her and her young daughter.

I will never forget my stay and the relationships I created at Monte Vista. I think of it often.
Very grateful for the experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Monte Vista Retreat Center changed my life. Nervous at first, I signed up for the 3 week Ayurveda Detox, but it was the best decision I made as I have never felt better mentally and physically. The support and guidance that Jackie, Andy & Gabby provided was beyond expectation. I felt like part of the family and was quite sad to leave. I miss my bungalow overlooking the sea with a hammock on the balcony that I spent countless hours on. The food, yoga, mediation and treatments included were of great quality. Thank you and miss you all. Hope to be back one day soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Belait, Brunei Darussalam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I strongly suggest that readers read the reviews on Google. Monte Vista is ridiculously over-priced. I stayed here for a month for a yoga teaching training course. I cannot emphasis enough that under NO circumstances should payment be made in full. There are many better options on the island.Once you have paid, there is no refund option. The so-called "ayurvedic" kitchen is very basic vegetarian food. The accomodation is basic. Over a period of a month there was consistent inter-personal and unprofessional issues between the staff, management and the members of the yoga teaching training. With the management arguing within ear-shot of guests and their son telling guests that he gets slapped in the face, the atmosphere is distrurbing. You will be handed a page of rules when you arrive. I have never been told by management not to ask for anything because the answer will be no, and it is best to avoid a difficult situation. The view is great, however there are amazing views to be found all over the island with a much better atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Jrichard19831983, Owner at Yoga Veda, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
First of all let me say that I truly hope that you enjoyed your Yoga Teacher Training course.
Google’s reviews are those that have been removed by TripAdvisor management as they were found to be outside of TripAdvisor’s review guidelines. I assure our guests that our TripAdvisor reviews are a much better representation of our center. But thanks for pointing that out!
I feel that I have to respond to this review, as it is such an unjust reflection of our center, ourselves and our staff. However I cannot say that it was unexpected due to the circumstances of which it arose. Of which I believe you are due an explanation.
Your training course was run by outside instructors that simply rented the space that Monte Vista provides. This is in no way a reflection of our day to day programs, our staff or our guests. This fact should have been made clearer by myself and our staff upon your arrival. Your group was not coming to experience any of the programs that we offer. Your group paid for food, accommodation and your training course. That’s it!!!
Our “rules” are really guidelines that have been in place for years, and are designed to keep the center running smoothly. These were consistently being pushed and broken which placed ourselves and our staff in a space that we would prefer to avoid. I am sorry that this was reflected in our interactions with your group. Your group was quite simply demanding services that we were not able to provide to you provided the arrangement with your teachers. And yes, created some unnecessary hostility among our management and staff as well.
Your Instructors requested that we design a menu and price that would be suitable to your group, which we did. The menu does not reflect our normal Ayurvedic kitchen for our programs. Of which I do not believe you can honestly attest, as you did not experience any during your stay. Your group was consistently demanding more and more and we simply were not able to provide it to you.
Our personal interactions, including that with my over-imaginative 4 year old is none of your concern. Please do write me when you become a mother yourself. I would love to hear all the funny things your kids say to others that have no basis in truth and are quite honestly, embarrassing  But thanks for putting it out there for everyone else in the world to read too! Greatly appreciated 
I wish you the best in your bright new future as a certified Yoga Teacher.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

First off this was a very last minute addition to my trip so I had no idea what to expect. It was also my very first detox and yoga experience as well.

All I've got to say is it was life changing.

A huge thank you to Gaby for introducing me to a very pleasant and encouraging yoga experience. I know because of her I will definitely be pursuing yoga when I get back home.

Also, because of what I learned while at monte vista my eating habits will definitely no longer be the same.
I can't wait to get back home and share what I learned with my friends and family.

As far as the facilities go, it reminded me of a summer camp experience. Private hillside bungalows with incredible views and hammocks to boot. Wifi worked in my bungalow, but with all the books they have to select from I found my self mostly ignoring technology and instead I just relaxed and read a good book.

Staff was nothing but friendly and accommodating. Good food and good vibes... What more could you ask for?

Highly reccomend Monte Vista to anyone looking for a tropical island yoga retreat!

• Stayed June 2013
Omemee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The accommodations were really great and peaceful! The view for the yoga was awe inspiring. In doing the activity, Jackie and Danny were really informative and helpful. I learned a lot. The same can be said for the rest of the volunteers. The yoga was great too. I felt much more flexible after leaving. The food for the detox program was a bit bland, but that cant be avoided. It feels great when your done however and the food tastes great! All and all, it did a great job of giving me time to distress and get myself mentally sorted (plus I lost weight). I had my doubts before I left about if I should do something like this, but I don’t have any doubts about doing it now.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nyon, Geneve, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hi! thank you for this amazing time ! two weeks of friendship, laugh, delicous food !!! I had a great time with you and the volunteers, Monte vista is the place to be!!! i was feeling as a member of a new family! thank you for your help and support! I'll come back!
big hug
Orane (switerland)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Goslar, Niedersachsen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

February - April 2013
At the beginning I was planning on staying three weeks, I just kept staying - spent eight weeks.
I was volunteering and was able to join a Yoga-Retreat at the end of my stay.
I got to know so many interesting people, worked five days a week for six hours, learned a lot about cooking, about how people are able to change the atmosphere on a steady place and so on and was able to join the meditation and yoga class in the morning very often. Jacky is a lovely person, so are all the other people I met there. Thank you so much for everything you shared with me!
The Yogateachers are extraordinary good! I am glad to made the experience I did, so check Monte Vista out ;)

many greetings and hugs
Mareile (:

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Yoga Veda? Share your experiences!