“This is gourmet pizza made by a French chef” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 250 Restaurants in Ko Phangan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: mateo pizza close on april open in october thank youfermeture annuelle de avril a octobre merci :)
Calgary, Canada
“This is gourmet pizza made by a French chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I travelled to Thailand over December and January 2010. We stayed at the Sunset Cove resort just next door from Mateo's Pizza. We were exploring the area visiting the massage place just down the street and the treehouse style coffee shop a little further up the road. We kept walking by Mateo's Pizza while it was being built, a covered bamboo deck, right off the highway with a pretty good view. We hoped it would open during our stay. It did and we had some of our best memories traveling in Thailand chatting with Jessie and Allison (the owners) and sharing some of the good French wine which Jessie had shared with us from his own stash. We talked about Canada (where we are from) and France where they are from and talked about their business, their decision to move to Thailand and how amazing it was for them and their little family to follow a dream. We even practiced our bad western Canadian French with them while they helped other guests and genuinely felt like we made two new friends. Just incredible people and great hosts: sharing traveler stories with other travelers like them is always a good time.

They were amazing hosts, the food was incredible, the wine and conversation couldn't have been more fantastic. I know that you may want to only eat Thai while in Thailand but good, gourmet thin crust pizza with fresh toppings is good anywhere in the world-especially when made by a French chef. I have traveled a lot, to many places and eaten many pizzas and not only is the atmosphere great but the pizza is some of the best I have had.

You have to eat here and stay for the conversation. I'm glad to see the restaurant is still going and the family is still living the dream.

Congrats and thanks so much for the wine and food and a couple of fun nights!!!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dusseldorf, Germany
“Great food, great place, great people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Been there in January 2011 some days/weeks after their opening. Runned by a lovely young french couple doing their really best from their hearts.
It a great chilled and cozy atmosphere place directly on the small road up hill after you left Ao Chao Pao on the way to Had Yao.
You can sit thai style on the ground, listening to chilled music and getting served by the owners directly (mostly her or a thai waiter) meanwhile her husband is doing the food. I was really impressed how authentic the pizza tastes. Great salads by the way as well. Wonderful creations of the pizzas. I remember they all have names from persons (like from the owners or the owners little son...)
Besides this they serve Pastis and good wines.
I was travelling to Thailand more than 10 times and I know how hard it is to find good pizzas and good wines... You won't expect to get it at this tiny place on Phangan... but be sure you get it there.
Had some great evenings there on my honeymoon with my thai wife as we stay at Sunset Cove Resort - which entrance is close to Mateo Pizza.
Everyone who is staying at Ao Chao Pao or driving by... go there and try the pizzas, enjoy a glass of wine and the chilled atmosphere.
Will be going there again in May although I am staying on the East Coast of Phangan this time!

• Visited January 2012