“Exceeded all expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Resort & Beach Club

You added Hacienda Resort & Beach Club to your Saves list
Hacienda Resort & Beach Club
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   100/3 Moo 1, Ban Tai Beach | Thong Sala, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #62 of 113 Ko Phangan B&B and Inns
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Before arriving we had numerous reviews and to say the least we were worried what kind of place we would be staying! They had offered a free pick up from the port - which was extremely late and just caused us even more worries! HOWEVER upon arrival we couldnt have been more please - the customer service was prompt and friendly whilst the resort was clean and modern. It must be noted a large deposit was requested in advance which was not advertised in advance - this is expected along with passports. Our rooms were actually some of the newly renovated villas which were large and clean with a large bathroom, fridge, powerful fan and balcony with hamock. We mentioned some of the reviews here and the staff showed us the overflow accomodation - this is sold as cheap last minute booking, through agents in Bangkok - it is these agents who miss sell the rooms apparently. Overall we were very pleased. The beach suited our needs, there are many restuarants pretty close and transport to Had Rin for the full moon was easy and relatively cheap both on the night and the next morning.

Room Tip: Book in advance preferably direct and request one of the new referbished villas.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
David D, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Hi Jay,
Many thanks for your comments and compliments.I appoligise about the late pick up however we have recently added another taxi so hopefully this won't happen again.
I'm pretty certain that you are confusing the large deposit with another Resort as it is simply something we don't do. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and also your time in the newly renovated bungalow ( including hammock ).
Thanks again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

if someone is going to ask me where to stay in koh phangan I will not hesitate to recommend this. It is really good and I dont know why it has so many bad reviews. I guess people who experienced bad in Hacienda are more likely to write a review and masking the good ones. Anyway, this place is really good. I will give my reasons why.
1. the location is good. waking up in the morning with the beach in front of you is just amazing. it is also near to shops, laundry, etc.
2. the staffs are cool and kickass. best staffs ive ever had in thailand (i went to bangkok, phuket, koh phiphi, koh samui). they can speak english (because many are from aussie, us, uk) so you can communicate a lot easier and they hang out with you! the local staffs are able to speak proper english too. well, better than the place ive been to.
3. facilities are pretty good. They have pool place connected to the bar, pool table, aircon, seats and tables by the beach, etc. The quality are not the best but hey, if you are in the island then thats all you need. the toilet and bathroom couldve been better but it is descent.

hopefully this review helps! By the way, i reckon this is good for group of friends, solo and couple. It is alright for family but in my opinion, it wouldnt be fun for kid coz i see that place as adult place...kinda. haha

Hello Dave,
The whole team really can not thank you enough for taking the time to write such a well rounded, honest and sincere review. It was a real pleasure having you as our guest.
Come back and see us anytime.
Cheers mate.
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I'm quite shocked at the number of bad reviews here, but this place is not that bad ! I book a cheapest room in the resort, it is small but quite clean. However, there is only one outlet in the room and I couldn't charge my phone or camera while using fan, that is very uncomfortable. Food is very tasty, highly recommend! The staffs are nice and friendly. Anyway, it is a good place to stay, with reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Meow,
Thanks for a good review and a bit of constructive criticism. All of the renovated cheaper bungalows now have a least two electrical sockets.
Many thanks.
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was with a group of 6 and we all really enjoyed our time here. The staff were very friendly and let two of our friends stay in our rooms when they were fully booked. The food is expensive but its good quality so I see why, the atmosphere is great also. When we had a problem with bugs in out room it was sorted imediately.
Bad point:
You get warned about having to pay for sheets if you get paint on them, so on the night of full moon I was extra careful about getting paint on the sheets, i tried to get it all off and even when i thought i had i wore trousers and a long sleeved top to make sure i didnt. In the morning I saw that I had got a small bit of paint on the sheets so knew id have to pay, only i felt so ripped off having to pay nearly 50 pounds. I didnt mind paying but sheets dont cost that much so i felt bitter and ripped off. Should have gone and bought some myself as I know for a fact they arent that much money, I also saw quite a few people in the same position. Such a shame to leave Hacienda on a bitter note.

Great place but maybe save 50 pounds for a speck of paint,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
David D, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Hi Kate,
It was great having you and your group stay here. We were more than happy to accommadate your extra friends. I thank you for your comments and praise.
The reception staff and cleaners dread finding even a speck of party paint on the sheets We try our best to clean them prior to check out however you must realise that this is paint and it will not come off. These sheets are "hotel quality" and are expensive. If an item is broken or damaged it simply has to be replaced.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were collected from the pier which was a good start, however check in (and check out) was difficult at first with the language barrier (some staff, not all - once Erica arrived she was great)

The first impression was good, but then the overwhelming signs around the resort mentioning "no outside food or drinks purchased outside are allowed on these premises, a fine will be issued" - instantly gets your back up. Referring to previous reviews the response from staff has been that this refers to the bar and restaurant area, but perhaps this should be made abundantly clear on the signs, as one would assume this refers to your room and makes you feel as if you're walking on egg shells throughout the duration of your stay. It can make you feel as if you're on a school trip, opposed to a holiday.

Pool is fantastic, only sometimes occupied by the diving course. Beach is on the doorstep - really good walks on the beach, no swimming unfortunately as it's very rocky.

Restaurant / Bar prices are relatively high, if you're on a budget. Try to avoid the bungalows near the reception as the early morning excursion set up noise can be rather loud, very early.

The vibe around the resort / pool area is great, thanks to fellow travellers and holiday makers :-)

Hi Darburnett,
Thank you for your positive comments on our facilities and services, and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We have absolutely no problems with guests consuming food and drinks purchased from outside in their rooms or their balconies in fact we will tell you the best places to go! The problem we have is when guests bring in food and drinks then consume them in the restaurant or at the pool bar. Would anybody even consider doing this in their local Pub or restaurant? We don't want to make people feel uncomfortable however these signs are the only way we can get our message across.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm quite shocked at the number of bad reviews I've seen on this place. I spent 5 nights in a bungalow there and thought my stay was very good value for money. The staff in the diner and the pool bar made me feel welcome and always seemed interested in keeping me happy and comfortable. I never saw a member of staff without a smile on their face.

The beach is a little rockier than I expected, but that's what the Ban Tai beach is like. The islands not exactly huge, you can get to a softer-sand beach within 20 minutes. It's still perfectly passable for catching some sun and meeting other residents, plus the pool is right there and the perfect temperature for cooling down if the sun starts to get to you. Nice and deep the pool is too, and I discovered why when I looked down to see people practicing in their scuba diving gear at the bottom of the deep end.

I took advantage of the scuba diving instructors that are within the same facilities and for a first time diver: I was incredibly happy with how light-hearted and friendly the instructors were above ground and the consummate professionals they became when it got down to business. I felt safe the entire time even though I've never done anything remotely like it before. The day before going out to Sail Rock to dive, the instructors ran through the equipment with me and taught me everything I really needed to know to do a one-day dive. If I'd had more time on the island I would've done the three-day course to go diving alone because it was that much fun.

The only thing I can really complain about is the fact that none of the cues for the pool table had tips, though it became a bit of a running trend during my travels through Thailand that I couldn't find a pool table without at least one glaring fault; I can't say they're alone with that heavy burden.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
David D, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hi Phil,
Thanks for a great review.. We love it when solo travellers like you come to the island and just accept it for all that it is and simply " go with the flow ".Your praise makes all the hard work and team effort worth it.
The Diving crew certainly appreciates the kind words and your honest opinions.
Come back anytime and your first beer at the pool bar is on me.
Thanks again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We booked this in Bangkok through a travel agent on limited budget without reading any of the reviews before hand and were very worried when we started to read the reviews about what was going to be in store for us..so our expectations going there were low but pleasantly surprised with what we got.. We booked a poolside air conditioned room.. Great location on the beach.(Admittedly this side of island water not very deep) pool was great as was the poolside bar which was our next stop to celebrate a sigh of relief as well as soak in the surroundings... 10 minute walk to town where there is a great little night market.. Room was basic, but clean with air conditioning and cleaned every day and had tv and was what we had paid for!! .Had breakfast there every morning and loved the massaman curry!!! One really great selling point is the staff!! Friendly, fun and most of all really helpful. Went out of their way to fetch some ointment to help heal ankle sprain . Place can be as lively or as relaxing as you want..we opted for relax but enjoyed the buzz around the place.. over all place gets a thumbs up !!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Caroline,
Thank you very much for such a wonderful and positive review. All the team are very grateful for you taking a little bit of time to show your appreciation of all our hard work.
Thank you again.