“nice staff, bit expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of B52 Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Phangan
B52 Beach Resort
You added B52 Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ban Taai Rd, Ko Phangan, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Direct Booking Offers!!!
Ranked #35 of 107 Ko Phangan B&B and Inns
The Netherlands
“nice staff, bit expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

B52 is a nice place. Too expensive for the backpackers (who frequently can take over a place), but not too posh -so still having the feeling of being in Thailand, which feeling the staff gives you as well since they are very nice and like to joke around. The pool is nice, but lacks places in the shade. The beach, by far not the most beautiful on the island is rocky and the water can be very far out (although a lot depends in which time of year you visit -tides in the Thai winter are favourable here). Foord is great and they have a nice pool-bar with great cocktails. Not the cheapest. Bungalows are basic, but provide all you would need. Thong Sala is very close by, so nice if you like local food and a street-market vibe. There are a lot of cheaper places nearby, but none with a pool as nice as here. This is probably what you pay for. So if you want to be sure you are accomodated well within nice grounds, and don't mind paying a little bit more, this is a great place. Though they should expand places in the shade.

Koh Phangnan itself is an islang I have visited a lot in the 80's and early 90's. Though I think it is still a nice place, it can all be a bit confusing, because this Full Moon Party seems to dominate (at least this part of) the island. Either all is very crowded or either feels a bit deserted. When outside of season a lot of places are closed, or have no vibe, during fool moon often lacking place to even be seated. I think when you choose B52 either way you would be happy. Again staff is very kind and good to have more than a few laughs with (which is why I am in love with Thailand). Besides the food the food that is.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

After reading all the reviews about B52 we were looking forward to come and enjoy our 4 nights there, however it turned out to be the worst part of our trip.

Pick up from the ferry
Prior to leaving Koh Tao, we have contacted B52 to arrange the pickup. On the day of arrival a guy met us at the pier. He did not say hello or smiled which is quite unusual for Thailand. For the whole journey we was having quite loud (shouting I would say) conversation over the phone with someone. Not a good start, but I thought that maybe he had a bad day.

Meeting at the hotel
When we arrived the driver just put our bags on the ground and disappeared without a trace. We had to go to the reception and ask someone to help with the luggage and check-in. After about 10 minutes waiting another guy took out luggage and dragged it to our bungalow. He did not seem to care that dragging luggage on a mixture of sand, rocks and debris can damage it. He just did not care.
Check in guy was ok, but it looked like we interrupted his facebook surfing. One of the first things he said that we have to pay 500TBH for the room key in case we decide to steal/loose it. Never happened to me before on arrival to a hotel. At the end we managed to check in and I was hoping that it was just an unlucky day.

Room
The room itself was very nice. We had the biggest beachfront villa and the view was just magnificent. I am not very fussy about TV, hairdryers etc. as long as it is clean, decent size, nice view and internet. The villa was truly beautiful and we enjoyed the time we stayed there. The disappointment appeared when we were leaving our room and had to be in contact with the staff.

Hotel Facilities
Nothing much except for the pool and restaurant/reception. No massage or spa. The pool is nice. However I did not have a chance to enjoy it as the staff and their kids were using it all the time. Kids jumping in water, splashing everywhere, staff sleeping on beach beds etc. I genuinely had a feeling that I am an uninvited and unwelcome guest at their house and should leave asap.
Breakfast was very poor even for this price range hotel. I would not suggest to order anything other than omelette as they don't know how to cook anything else. For any extra coffee and slice of toast you have to pay. And you don’t have choice as the provided breakfast is just not enough.
Lunch/Dinner very uninspiring and I had concerns about food freshness after I saw woman-cook who did not look very clean. Taste-wise it will do if there are no other options and you can't go to eat anywhere else.

Surroundings
There is nothing much around in terms of bars, restaurants, massage places etc. The breach is relatively nice, but very windy all the time. The staff told us that it is due to location there is hardly ever calm days with no wind. The town is probably 15-20 minutes walk away. We did not like hotel surroundings and rented a jeep to discover the island and it was just great! The north is very beautiful and there are many little bays to discover. If I had to go back I would definitely book a hotel at north of the island.

Overall
I would not advise staying there as the staff was extremely rude and don't care about anybody. What they seem to care is that you pay them and leave them to watch Thai box on TVs in the restaurant and use hotel facilities. When you need something like cleaning room or other help they are not helpful. It was the first time I experience such inhospitality in Thailand and I have visited 6 different places. I figure it was because the owner of the hotel was not there the days were we staying and they were just taking advantage. If she is reading this review I strongly suggest to review her staff as this can ruin her business.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Mooloolaba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Great place, great service, awesome pool , great view, walking distance to Thong Sala where all the shops and food markets are, everything we needed was just no problem for Gayle, Chai and staff. We had no electricity on the last day so no way to access money, or credit cards and they even let us pay when we got home, they also lent us some money coz we couldnt use the atms or get cash from banks , highly recommend this place but I almost wanna keep it a bit of a secret so we have it less crowded everytime we go back, and we will be going here again... Food here is also pretty damn good and reasonably priced too.....rooms are small but very cute and have all the facilities required, new rooms being built now.....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Marseille, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

my husdand and i stayed there for 5 days, B52 is a quiet hotel (i don t know if it s that quiet during the main season), the rooms are beautiful... we took a villa bungalow... which was very clean and cosy.... the staff is very helpfull and friendly!!! the swimming pool was very refreshing and nice with its bar on the water. the beach was also nice, the only thing is that after black moon party there s a lot of bottles and plastic glass on it the next day, but i guess it s the same on each beach... it s a shame that the party people throw their garbage in the water.... the hotel is not far from the full moon beach if you rent a car or a motobike ( around 15 -20mns) and it s also close to the night food market.
our stay was perfect, and we ll go back again for sure on our next trip!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

The staff here are very friendly, we have made some good friends and are sad to leave. We have enjoyed relaxing and socialising on the beach and by the pool.
The rooms here are beautiful and very clean. We enjoyed it so much we extended our stay by 4 nights.
The food at the resort is to a high standard and has a lot of choice.
Thankyou to all the brilliant staff at B52. We have loved our time here and are very sad to leave. We will certainly be back again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to B52 Beach Resort? Share your experiences!