“Peaceful stay” 4 of 5 stars

111 moo 1 | ban tai, Ko Phangan, Thailand   |
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Ko Phangan
“Peaceful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

2 nights we're great in the resort, the price is not expensive at all, we stayed in a fan bungalow wich was very hot doring the day but very pleasant in the night. the staff was very nice, the restaurant is also very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Whilst the beach is fine and the staff are lovely, I was wildly unimpressed by the attitude of management.

I stayed in the economy bungalow. It must have been 40 degrees in there - the fan was useless. It was full of mosquitos, the toilet was outside and secluded (not what you want at night) and one wall of the bungalow is made from glass. Just like a GREENHOUSE. Designed by a total numpty. The curtains did not cover the glass fully, leaving you exposed. I woke to find a man wearing only his pants watching me through the glass from three feet away. It was terrifying. I called reception for nearly two hours - nobody answered. There were no lights around the bungalow. The manageress laughed when I told her about the man the following day. She said that she knew the man I was describing (next bungalow to mine) but not to worry - he was checking out the same day. Presumably to go and threaten some new female travellers. She also insisted she had been up at 6am and there were lights - not around the area I was staying in. She refused to meet my eyes throughout the conversation indicating she was lying through her teeth. Terrible attitude, and she had the audacity to charge me for my meal the previous evening despite leaving me in an exposed bungalow with no security lights or night staff. There is nothing at all in place to prevent someone targeting you and the lock to the glass doors was really poor. No bolt, they could have been easily forced open.

It's simply untrue that there is wifi in the bungalow - this is false advertising. They explained to me that there was no wifi, not that it had broken down etc.

I'd avoid this place at all costs if you are a solo female. Whilst the resort is not accountable for the actions of its residents, one would expect some basic safety features and a more professional attitude from management.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
PhanganBeachResort, Owner at Phangan Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
i have read the review and i understand the worry you may have had with your neighbour trying to look into your room, the curtains do cover the windows completely so i suspect that you didnt quite close them enough, even being this should not have happened,the room that you booked was a very basic,but new, budget room ,the lock on the front glass doors is the same as you would find on any patio doors around the world , we only have 2 rooms that the bathroom is seperate from the bungalow and these are both our budget rooms,new lighting has also been installed since your stay as we do find it important to listen to our guests comments ,regarding the charges for food? i do not see why the resort should have waived the charges for food that you had eaten and enjoyed because of your neighbours actions,it clearly states that reception is not 24 hours and that the office closes from 8pm, also regarding your comments on the wifi,nowhere does it state that we have wifi in the rooms? where did you get this information from? we do have free wifi in all common areas such as the restaurant,bar and swimming pool area ,sorry you didnt enjoy your stay but it seems that you have mixed up some of your review with other accomodations you may have stayed in,regards,andy,pbr
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I went to Thailand for our Honeymoon in early 2012. I have stayed at Phangan Beach Resort previously in 2006 and I went back as I found it's well positioned on the island. Central to everything but also far enough from all the noise and chaos that happens around Haad Rin. When I returned in 2012 I noticed the vast improvement, the pool and bar were new to me. All in all we had a great time, we spent a lot of time around the bar and pool area and Adam the barman was really friendly. The owner Andy gave me info about the rest of our trip as we were in Thailand for a month, everything from what times to get ferry's and safety precautions. When we needed our room cleaned I asked Andy and he had it sorted out by the time we got back to our room after breakfast. I've noticed people commenting saying their rooms werent cleaned, this is so as not to disturb you. We asked for our room to be cleaned twice during our stay and it was done immediately. We ate many of our meals there as the food was delicious and very cheap. There was a Thai guy working there, I can't remember his name and his English isn't that great but he made up for it with his great friendly attitude and willingness to keep us happy! On the night of the full moon party they had a delicious barbeque which was free of charge! Adam also accompanied my wife and I to a black moon party and even got my wife in for free (thanks Adam ;) We had planned to go back now in March but we have a 3 month old baby and work just doesn't permit it. We have however booked tickets to go in December/Jan holidays and we plan on spending most of our time at Phangan Beach Resort again. My wife and I go through our pics almost daily after a hard days work and dream about returning. All in good time as they say!

Room Tip: The concrete beach front rooms are well worth it!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I am travelling a lot and doing my second world trip right now. For Christmas two months ago, my boyfriend from Germany came to visit me and we planned to spend some wonderful days in this resort. Normally I do not review any of the hostels/hotels etc. where I stayed, but this needs to be written down. So, we did spend 6 nights in this really beautiful looking resort. The beach is nice and relaxing and the bungalows are nice. When we arrived the owner told us, that there is a booking problem and we are lucky, we do not have to leave, we just have to move to another bungalow. Nobody was honestly nice and instead of welcoming us, they told us all the rules and did invite us for the Christmas Diner on the 25th December. Because we havent seen each other for half a year and we are celebrating Christmas in Germany on the 24th December, we said thankfully no, because we decided to celebrate on our own. From this second on, they changed and we really did not feel welcomed. But anyway I did not care. In this week we did plan to spend some relaxing and nice days at this resort. Unfortunately, we did not know that this was a party resort, with dozen drunken people. The bar also plays quite loud music until well into the night when everyone else has gone to sleep except the staff! The party people did warm up at the bar, came home late in the night, where screaming and fighting in front of the bungalows and every morning we found numerous alcoholic persons laying at the beach, in the hammocks or around the bungalows. We are also young and went to the fullmoon party and did drink, but we would never behave like this or rather would accept that behavior as an owner of a location like this. Poor families who stayed with us, the little children were crying at night time, because they could not sleep and it was Christmas. I did not believe those negative reviews before, but we have chosen a Teenager camp...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PhanganBeachResort, Owner at Phangan Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
thank you for your review, we welcome all feedback even if it is not too possitive, i have looked into the concerns you had during your stay ,i have also emailed the french family who was staying with us(you mentioned children crying) and they have confirmed to me that there was no problem at the resort what so ever,they did mention that ok some of the other guests where a little noisy on the 25th but also understood that some europeans celebrate christmas on the 25th not the 24th,i am unsure of the response you may have thought you got regarding the christmas dinner? i would maybe understand this if it wahere a paid event but we do not charge our guests for the christmas gala dinner,this is a gift from the resort to all of our guests during the festive season .one point i also do not understand is you mentioned the staff and owners up all night at the bar wfter the guests left? i see no truth in this as during the busy peak season my team have to work very hard and there are not enough hours in the day to be up all night drinking, i, as the owner of the resort know i wasnt up all night as i have a 6 year old boy whome i spend my christmas with together as a family ,maybe it seems a lot worse than it was as it was 2 months ago? , i will take heed with your information and look into it a little more but i am sure you could have approached myself or my partner if there was a serious problem?
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in October 2012. It was much better than i expected. Nice bungalow, great beach, really nice and friendly staff. At 1st day we got there the staff invited us to join them to go to the floating party. Party wasnt anything special but we got to know most of foreigners who lived on the island right from 1st day at the island. Also if u need some personal space during the day time u can always chill on their private beach which is really nice. I would definately stay there one more time!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in February, teh resort was great. We found the staff exceptionally friendly and super helpful they went out of thier way to ensure we had a pleasent stay ans that we had return ferry transfers and cab rides. The food was great andteh staff all spoke English, I would definitely stay here again, we felt it was very reasonably priced

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at Phangan Beach for eight nights. The resort is not directly located at the main road, a small gravel road leads to the resort. If you got much luggage and missed the shuttle service, ask the driver to let you out in front of the resort and not at the main street.

Phangan Beach is a very beautiful, clean and well-kept resort with nice owners and employees. They got some concrete bungalows and the standard wooden bungalows. We stayed at B7 and had a wonderful seaview with lots of kite-action.

For kite-boarders and those interested in that sport Phangan Beach is probably the best choice, if you prefer swimming and snorkeling you should do trips to better areas (Haad Salat, Koh Mao etc). The sea is pretty low there, so swimming is perfect for litte children, but maybe not so good fun for adults.

The restaurant has some nice snacks (Pizza, Honey wings) but was not as convincing as other restaurants we visited. A match billard costs 20 Baht.

An internet terminal is missing, but they got free wifi for those who bring their smartphones/tablets with them.

Concerning the room (B7): We thought the AC was placed a bit bad directly over the beds where the heads are rested, but it has probably to be there due to lacking alternatives. The room itself was ok, even though the small whirlpool-fridge a bit to loud. But overall: A beautiful room in a really nice resort with many awesome people and an incredible beachbar.

The only thing they could improve is the music, but thats just a matter of taste, right?!

And a word to Ban Tai: there are way more beautiful bays, beaches and villages on Phangan like Haad Salad or Haad Khom, Ban Tai itself is not the most beautiful village, located directly at the main street.But what makes Ban Tai really so special is the location: you can get to everywhere in no time. So it's really worth a thought about making Ban Tai the homebase for day trips to the rest of the island.

Room Tip: Concrete rooms are always better than wooden bungalows. The seaview is incredible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Phangan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!