“OK if you're only staying a night” 3 of 5 stars

Power Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Moo 1 T. Ban Tai, Ko Phangan, Thailand   |
Ranked #86 of 92 Hotels in Ko Phangan
Frankfurt, Germany
“OK if you're only staying a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Koh Phangan hoping to sort out some accommodation at the pier and that's how I heard about this place. There was not much accommodation available owing to the Full Moon Party the night before. Staff were very casual and there seemed to be quite a few just hanging around reception giggling all the time. My room was nothing to write home about, except for ants and the plants growing through the roof of the bathroom... They have a strict policy on no food from outside the hostel, so I ate in town and then I got told off by a waiter for not eating dinner at the resort!

Swimming pool is only available 9 am-10pm and there are fines for this (and everything else) if you break the rules! Laundry was expensive at 50 B per kilo, but it was a quick turnaround. Wifi is pretty sketchy.

• Stayed February 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have stayed at this property 3 times and Im finally writing this review. I love coming to Power Beach Resort, I have been to 3 full moon parties and always choose to stay here. The price is great for what you get, I'm not sure why there are so many complaints about the price when my opinon it is very cheap. The location of this place is great, the trip to the Haad Rin (full moon party beach) is close and theres always transport at the Hotel waiting to take you, I think the longest Ive had to wait is 10mins. Food & Drink prices I found to be normal, not that high or low. I really recommend this place if your not looking to spend a lot of time in your room and want to enjoy island life without paying big dollars!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

- many bungalows to high, you have to walk 100 stairs
- beach/sea with a lot of stones, no white sand beaches
- staff isn't helpfull. The way back they will charge you 300 baht per person, or send you to the other beach (and wait for about 3 hours) for the boat.
- staff says 'sorry', but doesn't change behavior
- tooo expensive

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I went backpacking with my best friend and we booked this room at a travel agents in Bangkok to guarantee we had somewhere to stay on Phangan for Full Moon Party. We were not shown any pictures and told it would be a shared dorm. It was a fantastic surprise that it turned out to be a luxury mini-villa with spectacular views and a lovely beach footsteps away. It was nice to come back to a more tranquil and peaceful resort after the partying at Haad Rin Beach. It was a little bit more pricey than we had been paying anywhere else but was lovely and worth the money. It had a nice food area, (expensive) internet access, a good sized swimming pool and friendly staff. Our room had a TV which was a nice bonus and a lovely ensuite. The only downfall was that it was a little too far from the Full Moon Party atmosphere and was more of a couples retreat.

It was also the only place we stayed in (some of which were no way near as luxurious as this) with cockroaches!! It made sleeping a little uneasy as we lost track of chasing them round the bed! Though as a whole it was very clean and didn't put us off too much!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

These guys really need to shape up - load of employees who are doign nothing. They sit next to Relax beach resort who are cheaper, have a great restuarant and offer a great service. Power beach offer none of these and should really up their game. I only stayed there as everywhere else was full.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The rooms were nice... but too far away from the full moon party.

The beach was beautiful but I kept getting wiffs of poop... We rented a scooter and hung out at Haad Rin beach which was much nicer and the place around Haad rin looked better too.

Stay closer to the party!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

So myself and 2 friends booked online to stay here. The price seemed high but then, it was peak season so we thought it would be like that across the island.
The room (power bio bungalow) was gross. It was dark, damp and dirty. The bathroom, if you could call it that, had mould and a shower that barely worked. In fact, the shower broke when we were there and we could not turn it off. It took them two days to fix this! So we had a constant running shower for two days. I won't even go in to the amount of bugs in the bathroom. Or even the resort in general- the mosquitoes devour you at night and the flies pester you all day. I know this is Thailand but having travelled south east Asia for the last 3 months I have never experienced mosquito or flies like this. I think there is an infestation.
Breakfast, which was included, was also disgusting, covered in flies and I stayed away despite it being included in our room rate.
Anyway, after the disaster that was booking this place in the first instance, we found out from some other people who just turned up at the resort that their (same room as ours) rate was two thirds the price we paid! I mean 2000baht a night cheaper, not just a small amount. When we challenged this with the resort, the man got aggressive at us and told us it was the website's commission we booked through. 200% commission? Yeah right! It was a total scam by the resort and handled so badly.
Oh, and the beach is not kept clean, the sand is horrible. There are resorts next door to this one which I wished we had stayed in instead.
Just stay away, there are better deals on the island. Ignore the free transfer they offer at the pier to get you in. Horrible place, horrible people.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Power Beach Resort? Share your experiences!