“A special place and special hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa

You added Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5/5 Moo 5, Tong Nai Pan Noi Beach, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand (Formerly Rasananda Resort & Spa)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 90 Hotels in Ko Phangan
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A special place and special hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I am not the type of person to read hotel reviews on forums, never mind write them but I have felt compelled to put this review together given the sheer brilliance of the experience my wife and I have had on our Honeymoon recently.

We stayed at three very different hotels in Thailand and Singapore, but The Anantara Rasananda stood out for so many reasons:

The hotel itself is small, intimate and extremely well positioned in the Koh Phangan vegetation to give you the feeling that you are in the top of the jungle canopy in the middle of nowhere.

The rooms are large, modern and each has it own private pool which we didn't use too much, given we were so close to the beach, but was nice to have.

The service was EXCEPTIONAL from the point we arrived to the point we were waved off by all the staff from the beach on our speedboat trip over to Koh Samui.

Even the music policy was spot on with contemporary bands and dj's playing classy soulful house on the beach at night.

The only slight downside was that the food and beverage menu was expensive for Thailand, but there are a number of other restaurants nearby if you want a more reasonable meal.

I would highly recommend going for a honeymoon, anniversary or relaxing break to this hotel. If you are going to Koh Phangan for the full moon party, this hotel may not be for you (even though they do offer a speed boat trip straight to the full moon party from the hotel!)

I only wish we had also stayed at the one of the Anantara Hotels on Koh Samui also, as the one we went to was not a patch on The Rasananda!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write about your honeymoon at Anantara Rasananda on Trip Advisor.

We are absolute delighted that you enjoyed the facilities and services we have to offer and made this special occasion a success. We sincerely hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you to our little island paradise.

Patrick Both

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Arriving at the hotel by speedboat onto the beach was a very unique and magical experience. The staff and hotel manager were waiting on the beach to greet us personally - a nice touch and an indication of the type of service they try to provide.

The hotel is not large (60+ rooms) so service aims to be more personal. The english language skills of the local staff were excellent and they would engage in a normal conversation (not just standard 'scripted' greetings). This makes your stay much more personal. They remember your breakfast preferences and serve you accordingly - a nice touch.

The rooms have character and are well sized. Sea view rooms are superb, the garden rooms don't have a view. Every room has a jacuzzi/plunge pool on the balcony.

The hotel is in a very remote location so it is ideal for a quiet relaxing stay to get away from everything. There is a small local village outside the hotel where you can get local food and drinks or the hotel food is excellent.

Not the cheapest place but a very unique and very presonalised service. Look forward to going back again.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear ScotSG,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will have another chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have just arrived back to sunny England after spending the latter half of our honeymoon at the Rasananda and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was beautiful, spacious and above all spotless! We absolutely loved our private balcony which had a small swimming pool on it. This got the sun for most of the day and so we spent a lot of our time in this peaceful setting. The whole resort was spotless and the staff were all very friendly. The resort created a very relaxed atmosphere. The views of the beach from the swimming pool were divine and the beach itself was very inviting.

The spa treatments were lovely, if not a little expensive. The food was okay but we felt it was quite over priced and so mainly had our meals in the village behind the hotel. We particularly enjoyed eating at the Lunar Lounge, however we would advise booking a table as it was very busy towards the end of our stay.

However, we felt that our stay was a 5 star stay and we would definitely return to this resort in the future. It was everything that I could have wished for for my honeymoon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write about your stay at Anantara Rasananda on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed the facilities and services we have to offer. Now we hope you will come back soon to enjoy another holiday in our little island paradise.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We have just come to the end of a four night stay at the Anantara hotel. The hotel is in a fantastic location on a lovely sandy beach and the views from our room (an ocean garden suite) were stunning. The room itself was very nice and spacious with a large balcony and plunge pool. Our pool faced the sun for some of the day so was very pleasant to swim in. The hotel is near a strip of restaurants and bars so is very well located - the Luna Lounge served great food and we would definitely recommend it. The spa in the Anantara was of a very high standard and I really enjoyed my treatments there.

Unfortunately the service at the Anantara is not five star. We arrived on the hotel's speed boat at midday and were told that our room was not ready. We were given a complimentary 15 minute head and neck massage (which we later discovered was given free to all guests) and then offered a complimentary lunch and soft drink. We eventually got into our room at 2.30. The staff were very apologetic but we found the delay quite unacceptable - they knew what time we were arriving at and we seemed to be the only people who arrived on the same boat who had to wait. Also, about three different staff from the reception desk were providing updates during the time we were waiting and there seemed to be no communication between them - it would have been better if we had dealt with one person.

This lack of communication between staff seemed to be an ongoing theme during our stay. I had a lengthy discussion with one staff member at the front desk about our departure plans - time of speedboat, flight time etc. and the information was all logged on a computer. The next day I received a call from front desk asking for all the same information again - they had no record of the initial conversation. When i booked my spa treatment with reception i clearly stated that it was for one person but when I arrived it was booked for two. On the day of check out our bags were collected from our room and ten minutes later we received a call from the front desk asking if they should send someone up.

Lastly we decided to indulge in the 'dining by design' - a private meal for two on the beach. We met with the chef before to discuss the menu and the set up of the table etc was gorgeous. All in all it was an enjoyable evening but they forgot to send one of our courses (the salad) and in the end we had it with our main course which was really too late in the meal. Also, one of our four main course dishes never arrived. The lady serving us was very apologetic but I don't think it was her fault. Given what we paid for the meal (approx £350 including drinks) I would have expected someone from the kitchen or management to follow up and apologise and also check that we enjoyed the meal. Again, this rather passive approach seemed quite typical of the hotel - no one made any effort to check whether we wanted help with trips etc or seemed genuinely interested in whether we were happy with everything. This was in notable contrast to the service in the hotel we stayed in on Koh Samui which offered attentive but in no way overbearing service.

All in all we did have a lovely few days but this was probably more to do with the great location and hotel facilities than the service. For the price we paid we expected better.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Natashajen,

I am sorry to learn that you left the resort disappointed with the service you have received. We take feedback serious here at Anantara Rasananda and we certainly discussed you review within the management team.

Should you nevertheless ever consider visiting one of our Anantara properties, it would be my utmost pleasure to assist you with any future arrangements.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I had a garden villa at the Anantara, which was large and comfortable. The room is well equipped with apple tv, some spirits and a lovely plunge pool.
The spa is excellent, beautiful and the massages are great ( I lived in Thailand so I tried a lot of spas). Ths one is one of the best spa I have ever been to.
The beach is beautiful, and nearly private. The biggest part of the beach is dedicated to the hotel sunbeds, the white sand is gorgeous. No beach vendors to bother you every five minutes in order to sell you ice creams, sarongs, carved pieces of wood, fake buddhas etc.

But above everything, it is the service that is brilliant in this hotel. I was a difficult customer, requesting particular attention due to a broken elbow ( did not happen whilst I staid at the resort by the way), and all staff welcomed me as a family member or as if I was a celebrity. Fabulous. I had a tough time considering the pain and wearing an heavy and disgraceful cast, but all the staff took a great care of me, with a lot of care and warmth and made my stay enjoyable.

I could not thank all the staff enough, and also congratulate them all for their professionalism. Additionnally, their english is good, which is quite unusual in Thailand.
A particular thank you to the front desk manager and her team, and khun Tua in the restaurant (I hope I got the name right), as well to the house keeping team and their manager. All excellent.

The hotel is very well managed, with the GM always around, looking also after the customers. Any issue is fixed quickly ( i ad trouble with air con in my room late in the night and they sent straight the engineers at 11pm to fix the problem).

The breakfast is also good, although i wished they had waffles or crepes available ( but this is picky)

The resort is next to a small village with few restaurants and shops.

Overall, a very nice stay. I will definitely be back.

I also recommend the speed boat transfer, this saves significant time as it takes only 30 min and is much nicer than a painful ride in bumpy roads in the jungle.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and we hope your elbow is better. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are especially happy to read that you thought our service is brilliant.

We hope we will have another chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This a very pleasant and good quality hotel situated on a lovely beach. It has very comfortable, well equipped rooms with good space, effective AC and good size plunge pools. The staff are very good, particularly the breakfast team.

A few observations: the transfer via speedboat to hotel is rather expensive and seems to often involve wading in knee-to-waist high water through waves (which is not appropriate for a 5-Star hotel) - they need to provide a gang-plank to restore the impression that they care more for their guests than their boats. The bar and poolside drinks are a little expensive, however a nice touch is that each room has 3 decanters with a few free tots of whisky, gin and vodka. They provide a reasonable number of free canoes on the beach but the hotel lacks any dinghies or catamarans for use - these would have been perfect.We were disappointed that our original allocated room overlooked the busy and noisy Buri Rasa hotel and street area and we asked to be moved which after 2 nights there was done.

Room Tip: Make sure that you don't get a garden room at the Buri Rasa end of the hotel. We found our room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DavidHowells,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are also grateful for the listed observations. We certainly take feedback seriously and continue to work to improve ourselves.

We hope we will have another chance to welcome you to Anantara Rasananda.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was my first experience in Thailand and at an Anantara Resort and my husband and I were both blown away - which I feel like is saying a lot since we both travel a lot and have stayed at some other unbelievable places. I can honestly say that the pictures seriously do NOT capture it's beauty.

COMPARED TO SANTHIYA
We were seriously considering staying at the Santhiya Resort because I liked the way the rooms looked better. We didn't get to go into the resort, but we did Kayak over and see their beach/restaurant area. My thoughts are that 1) the beach at the Santhiya did not look as terrible as some of the reviews made it sound. That being said, it was significantly smaller than Anantara. At Anantara, we were spread out and each room had a private spot. At Santhiya, since the rooms were up in the mountain, everyone had to come down and share a small beach.
2) Santhiya looked lovely - as I said - I can't speak for the rooms, but the resort as a whole looked lovely. It seemed much bigger than Anantara and thus had a more camp/resort look (in a good way), but I was pleasantly surprised.
3) I am so glad we stayed at Anantara! Our consideration for this trip was the beach - we wanted to be on the beach and the Anantara occupies the majority of the beach on this side of Koh Phangan. My biggest concern was that the room and place were a little boring looking and not that special and about that I was so wrong. As I mentioned above, the room/hotel cannot be captured in pictures - it was truly stunning.

ARRIVAL
Let me first start off by saying that the boat ride from Koh Samui is DEFINITELY worth it. While it seems a bit pricey at first, the alternative is a cramped boat and uncomfortable car ride in the back of a pick-up truck halfway around the island (and the roads are not paved). So bite the bullet and arrange the boat through the hotel - it is worth it.

ROOM
The room was very comfortable. We were in room #1 on the beach and at first we were concerned we would be too close to the "action" - room #1 is right next to the main pool area. However, we didn't hear a single thing and it felt very private. We had beach chairs reserved for us on the beach each day and we liked that we were a bit away from the middle part of the beach. As others have mentioned, there is free alcohol daily in your room - we had whiskey, vodka and rum - each bottle only contains one large glass, or two small glasses, but it is refilled each day.

VALUE
Compared to other luxury hotels around the world, obviously the value in Thailand is much better. We were shocked how much space we received. We went to the Maldives a few years ago and I would say this room was very comparable - outdoor shower, large indoor bathroom, walk in closet, dip pool, etc - except that this room was about 1/5 of the price.

SERVICE
UNBELIEVABLE! We could not have asked for better service - the staff were so polite and friendly. They remembered us each day at breakfast/lunch/dinner - even remembering small things we liked, which table we preferred, etc. They are such a gentle, warm staff - highly recommended.

On our last day, we had an early afternoon flight and in order not to miss it, the hotel arranged for us to take the early boat to Samui and then spend the morning/early afternoon at the Anantara there (before our 3:00 flight). We thought this would kind of be annoying, but it was all so seamless, we really enjoyed spending the day there. (Although we were glad we decided to stay in Koh Phangan!)

FOOD
Others have knocked the food a bit and my husband and I come from New York, so we are a bit of food snobs, but we were pleasantly surprised. While I would probably give it a 4 out of 5 - there was enough variety to keep us interested. The dinner at the restaurant was significantly better than room service. We did go out to Luna one night and I would highly recommend it.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and we were astounded by the selection - it was truly one of the best continental breakfasts we have had.

SPA
My favorite part I think (but hard to say because I had a lot of favorites) - It was incredible. Sort of like Swiss Family Robinson - it was built into the side of the mountain and each room was separate from the other. We had a steam in the "cave" - literally a steam room built into the mountain. Words cannot explain how much I loved the spa.

EXCURSIONS
My last comment is about the excursions - we did the elephant ride and a full-day trip. We loved the elephant ride and had a lot of fun. The hotel arranged a car to and from the camp and it was great.

The day excursion to Koh Tao was through another tour company - NOT THE HOTEL - and we were not fully informed of that. While it was noted on some of the handouts, it was not told to us in person. While it wasn't horrible, I wouldn't really do it again if I had the the chance. We were loaded onto a small boat with about 30 other people and the whole day was a bit cheesy to me. I do not really like "group" tours and would have preferred to hire a private boat.

Room Tip: We had room #1 on the beach, and I would suggest a room on the beach. While the ones above were not...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for the great review on Trip Advisor. We are excited that you enjoyed your stay this much and we are especially proud that you felt the service was unbeatable. We hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise in not too far future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Phangan
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan
#2 of 90 in Ko Phangan
4.5 of 5 stars 769 reviews
Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan

Been to Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!