“Island of peace for two” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5/5 Moo 5, Tong Nai Pan Noi Beach, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand (Formerly Rasananda Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Romantic Getaway
Ranked #2 of 91 hotels in Ko Phangan
“Island of peace for two”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have spent 5 nights in May in Anantara with my boyfriend and it was probably the most relaxing holiday I had in some time.

The setting of the hotel is really amazing, with lush gardens, great beach, cute library. Our villa was beautiful with very comfortable bed, spacious bathroom and nice setting in the garden.
We chose to arrive by public ferry and then were picked up by the staff - as much as the speed boat arrival has its charm it also had its disadvantages in my eyes: you arrive with more people at once, so there are more of you checking in and most importantly - you do not experience how remote is the beach thanks to traveling through the jungle there..

The service is good, but you shouldn't expect European level of service in a 5 star hotel. We had some trouble with our apple tv in the room, and only after the (very helpful and nice!) operations manager heard about it, they managed to solve the problem (but then immediately). Don't get me wrong - the staff is very willing and kind, but there is definitely some room for improvement on following up on guest requests etc.

We had a few dinners in the hotel (sea food buffet, thai dinner, surf&turf) and it is definitely a pleasure to dine on the beach, however you need to remember its also quite expensive. An alternative are the restaurants in the village - i can recommend burgers in Handsome Sandwiches, dinners in Luna,... there are enough options for everyone!

We also had a spa treatment - its really worth trying it out, as the spa itself is so beautiful and employees competent.

Dont forget to try the Passion Sling drink in the pool bar, we had it almost every day :).

To sum up, I would definitely go back to Rasanda!

Room Tip: Villa 28 is quite, has a nice plunge pool with sun in the afternoon.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear sugar_sunrise,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I am sorry to read that you experienced a problem with our Apple TV and that we only fixed it after Farah, our Executive Assistant Manager, got involved.
We hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future arrangements.

Khob khun krub

956 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was concerned before my arrival at reading some less than positive reviews. I cannot understand how anyone could give this resort less than 5. It is fantastic.
If you want to shop or rage do not come here but if you want peace and relaxation - it is wonderful.
We stayed in a beach front villa but any of the beach front rooms would be nice, better to be on the ground floor and have direct access to the beach but even upstairs with fantastic views would be great. I personally would not like to be in the pool suite nor garden villa. They do offer a great deal of privacy but seem a bit confined for my liking.
The resort is beautifully maintained anyone who travels in tropical countries knows the damage that can be done in a short amount of time to hardware but the rooms and common areas are all fantastic.
The beds are extremely comfortable (not always the case in Thailand.)
The beach is beautiful with lovely sand and clear water - although tides around the island were very low we only had to walk out about 50m to swim.
The staff are also some of the best we have encountered. I cannot praise them highly enough. Nothing was any trouble, all spoke great English and were genuinely friendly.
We went for a tour around the island with Sam (well worth doing it is a lovely island), I used the spa once which was lovely.
The village - and it is only a village- has some great places to eat. We only ate at the hotel one night and tried a different local restaurant on the other nights.
We had a lunch a couple of times at the hotel. Make sure you try the green papaya salad with soft shell crab - ask for it spicy though.
Breakfast was great - make sure to try the yoghurt and fruit purees. One thing is don't bother with poached eggs (sorry Don).
I cannot believe people trying to compare the price of food in the village with those at the resort. Any resort will be dearer than local prices. I thought the resort prices were very fair.
This place truly offers excellent value on the quality/price scale.
I cant wait to return.

A couple of other points
1. Sun lounges were very comfortable but are often brought up high on the beach which in our location made them on quite and angle. We preferred to use of daybed on our deck anyway.
2. Dogs - although I am a dog lover I ignored the dogs and they ignored me, even the one that decided to sleep on our deck. Generally they looked in pretty good condition.

The only negative comment I have is that water should be provided with all meals. I did not like having to pay for imported water to drink with meals. Also on the beach and around the pool water should be provided as it is in every other hotel we have stayed at in Thailand. Fruit is nice but giving and topping up cold water would be much better.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the beach
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear AussieAnge,

Thank you very much for your thorough review on TripAdvisor and I am particular thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us after you initial doubts. We hope we will have a chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise and it would be my utmost pleasure to assist you with any future arrangements.

Khob khun krub

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked the accommodation about 50 days in advance (I remember counting the days with my trainer) and was looking forward to a break from my stressful work.

The waiting lounge by the port in Koh Samui already served a wonderful start to my vacation. We were given refreshing cold towel and fresh drink after going through a long queue at the airport immigration.

The boat ride was about 20 mins. If you want to see the sights, go for the backseats. We were given another round of cold towel and soft drinks on the boat. The boat arrival point is at the beach itself in front of the resort. We were greeted by the GM and staff of the resort.

During check in, we were served with this unique drink in blue colour that turns purple when stirred with a certain herb. Lovely!

We stayed at the Ocean Pool Villa. The dip pool was great for a refreshing cold dip after spending the day under the sun at the beach.

Breakfast spread was good. They made fabulous poached eggs. Fresh mango is also available upon request. Juicy Thai mangoes.

The spa is a unique experience as the treatment rooms were all over the stairway. It was almost like hiking climbing up the stairs to the treatment room. I spotted two friendly dogs there. According to the masseur the resort has five dogs. All friendly.

All the staff were friendly and I was happy with the attentive housekeeping staff. They made the towel elephants for me beautifully every evening.

It is a beautiful property with stunning beach. I will be return again for another round of rejuvenation.

• Stayed May 2013
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear SharinaS,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we are excited that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially thrilled that our staff provided you with the excellent service we aim for at all times.

We all look forward to your next visit at Anantara Rasananda.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is simply a stunning hotel with beautiful views and excellent service. My partner and I stayed here for two nights during our trip to Thailand and we both agree it is the highlight of our holiday. We were given a warm welcome by staff and offered a yummy refreshing drink on arrival, when shown to our room we were only amazed at how gorgeous the room really is, just like the pics on the website! We booked the ocean view with pool which was just perfect, the views were breath-taking and the pool with jacuzzi was a nice retreat after a hot day in the sun as its cooler than the sea and main hotel pool. The room itself is spacious with a comfortable bed, sitting area, walk in wardrobe and large shower. The room is made up a few times a day - I would come back in the afternoon to see my coffee cup which I had left in the balcony from morning has been washed and put away (even after the room has already been cleaned first thing) somone would also come in while your out in the evening to prepare the bed ready for sleep (put away the decor cusions and arrange the mosquito net around the bed ready for you to jump straight in! The hotel is well equipped with mosquito repellent - plug in repellent and oil burners to keep them out! We had no problems in the hotel, but got bitten when out and about. The service is outstanding with friendly staff, especially Tony who works at the pool bar and Joyce (name may be incorrect... she's the Italian lady) very friendly and helpful. The food offered is of good standard and not too pricey in my opinion but is more expensive compared to the village nearby (who also offer good food but obviously not with a 5 star standard) we spent time in the village going for massages, lunch at Bamboo Hut and cocktails at Rasta Baby. The full moon party is about 40 mins boat trip away which can be arranged on the beach however I would recommend getting a taxi on road as getting on/off the boat in the dark wasn't a great or safe experience! We took the ferry trasfer back to Koh Samui, its much cheaper and takes the same time as private! Khob kaun ka to all staff at asandara for a wonderful experience, we hope to be back soon!

• Stayed April 2013
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Katarinaaa,

Thank you very much for your thorough review on TripAdvisor and I am excited to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us. I am particular proud that you scored us with five star for our service which we, at Rasananda, feel is most important.

Thank you very much once again and we look already forward to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights at the end of our honeymoon, and we definitely saved the best till last! The hotel we stayed at on Koh Samui was fantastic (Mantra Samui) and we weren't sure if we could top the experience but as soon as we arrived at the speedboat transfer location we knew we were in for a treat. The shared speedboat was a little pricey compared to the public ferry option, however it was the quickest, easiest and most comfortable way to get there and we would highly recommend it. We arrived at the hotels and were greeted by Patrick the general manager and his team which was a nice touch, before being escorted to our room. We stayed in an Ocean Garden Pool Suite and from the moment we walked into our garden area and saw our day bed and private pool we were in heaven.

The room itself was big and very comfy with a large walk in cupboard and huge bathroom. They also provide free spirits which we certainly made use of. The beach was beautiful with crystal clear water and while our pool was a little colder than the ocean it was always refreshing after a day in the sun. I am a big dog lover and made a couple of doggy friends, but even if you’re not a big dog fan, they really aren’t any hassle. They’re very friendly and well behaved so if anyone has that big of an issue with them you probably shouldn’t bother visiting Thailand!

The service from the staff was fantastic, and our room was made spotless every day and there was also a couple of guys who came around each day to tidy our garden area of any leaves and clean our pool. I can’t remember their names but they all did a fantastic job. We also had the pleasure of meeting Joy at the free cocktail night which is put on by the staff and she was just lovely.

The main pool area is lovely with a cool little swim-up bar. We didn’t eat at the restaurant other than at breakfast (which was amazing) as we did find the prices a bit high in comparison to the village which is only a minutes walk form the hotel. I had the best pad thai ever at Bamboo Hut for about $3 so it was hard to compete with that. The village itself is very quaint and the people are lovely. We ate at Bamboo Hut, Better than Sex and Luna and Rasta Baby – all great food and drinks and great value.

Overall this resort was the highlight of our honeymoon and we spent hours just relaxing on our day bed listening to music and looking at the amazing view. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Koh Phangan. Splurge on the ocean front rooms if you can – they are worth every cent!
beach

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great review and I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your honeymoon with us. Hopefully we get the chance to welcome you back to our little slice of heaven.

Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

So we were a group of four persons in Thailand for christmas vacation.
We decided to celebrate new years eve in Ko Phangan since the full moon party was going to be massive.
and YES! IT WAS MASSIVE!
I decided to book Anantara even though it cost us $500 something per room per night. But the resort is to die for! amazing beach, amazing food (i got hooked on their salads, chicken brie sandwich and their cocktails). We had a room with our private pool (OOOOOH WOW!!!!!!).
Its a bit far from the full moon party beach (Haad Rin), like 30 min drive but its fine..
There is a small street next to the hotel with few restaurants, mini markets and pubs but Im so sure you are not going to attempt to leave Anatara grounds.
You can book a ride into the busy part of the island via the hotel which is expensive or a shop next to the hotel. You can also book a ride to the hotel from the pier via the many tuk tuks and trucks all lined up. Expect to pay around 150baht per person if you have big luggage. The road can a get a bit bumpy and frightening, you might feel like its a horror movie waiting to be filmed, but trust me it will all be worth it when finally reach anatara!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear bunnyfluf,

Thank you so much for your detailed review and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed not only our property and services, but also the various excitements Koh Phangan has to offer. We sincerely hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise in the future.

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very nice service. Great beach and sea water temperature. The food in the hotel is expensive but outside are several alternatives of price and menu. Space to walk on the beach. Possibility to arrange trips by sea or around the Island. Don't loose the full (or half) moon party.

Room Tip: Both beachfront or garden are quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!