“Better places for the same price on Salad Beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Asia Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Phangan
Asia Bungalows
You added Asia Bungalows to your Saves list
Haad Salad Beach, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
London, UK
“Better places for the same price on Salad Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Asia Bungalows do have one of the best spots on the beach, however if you want to stay somewhere where you see the management/get help from them to book ferries/trips etc. then there are better places to stay. I stayed Dec 09/Jan 10 for a week - was staying on my own but traveling with friends who were staying at other places on Salad Beach. The bungalows are good - spacious rooms, air con and fan, fridge, hot shower etc. (no safe) but in the 6 nights I stayed, my room was only cleaned once. Normally I wouldn't mind, but as you have to put all used toilet paper into an (open) bin, I would at least expect that to be taken out daily. When they did clean my room they didn't leave any fresh towels or sheets which I had to go and ask for. I'd also recommend that you ask them for one of their light duvets – the sheets they provide are more like a shawl than a bed sheet and the duvet is much more comfortable. They do however give you fresh bottles of water daily which is good. I think the main sticking point for me was that my friends who were staying just up the beach at Salad Beach Resort got a much better deal – they were paying the same price, but had loads of facilities – much nicer rooms, pool, laundry service, room service, restaurant/bar, activities centre, spa and had breakfast included – so I think Asia Bungalows shouldn’t be charging the same price when they have no facilities whatsoever. We ended up spending all our time at Salad Beach Resort as all the staff were so friendly and helpful and the place itself was fantastic (the nightly BBQ is incredible). All in all, Salad Beach is probably one of the best beaches on the island, but I would definitely recommend staying at Salad Beach Resort over Asia Bungalows.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
athens
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

Although the setting is the best in Salad beach, the person that organizes this resort is un professional! I had booked a sea view bungalow through sawadee.com two months before arriving at the resort! The lady confirmed the booking and sawadee, upon arrival we found out by a lovely care taker that there is NO bungalow and she didn’t even know we were coming! We had arived from Greece along journey to find out that what I booked is not available because it was occupied! Can you believe this???? I was so upset and angry, it was my birthday and our 1 year anniversary. So, I would think twice before you book this resort! The lady gave us the deposit back in which it was the least she could do! She didn’t even show her face to apologies, this is not how we do business or am I wrong? Eventually, we found elsewhere accommodation spending more money then anticipated. The rooms are basic and not the best! NOT HAPPY!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

If you are on a somewhat tight budget, looking for an idyllic island paradise to call come for a few days / weeks - look no further.

My partner and I spent 7 nights at Asia Bungalows - and could have stayed another 7 nights with ease. Haad Salad (Pirate Beach) is a postcard perfect stretch of beach borded by lush forest, a tiny dirt road with a few convenience stores / travel agents / internet cafe's. There are a number of small resorts / bungalows lining the sand, with about 5 having restaurants on wooden decks literally built on the sand. If you want to feel relaxed, Haad Salad is your place.

Asia bungalows is mid range in the standard of accommodation on Haad Salad. I would classify it as a 2-3 star operation, with the rooms being basic but clean. The balcony off each room is great and a fantastic feature. We were very happy with the standard of accommodation, considering we were paying approx $15AUD / night, and we had a hotel standard room within 15m of the sand. For the price, location, value, you couldnt do better.

On the negatives - yes the water is shallow, but it really didnt detract from our experience. There is no restaurant at Asia Bungalows, but this is no problem at all - you can find places to eat along the shore, all within 100m.

When we visited Asia Bungalows, my partner and I had been travelling for 4 months, and I can honestly tell you that within 10 minutes of being at Haad Salad, I have never been more relaxed in my entire life. How's the serentity! On our trip to Thailand, we spent a week on Koh Samui, a week on Koh Tao, and a Week on Koh Phanan (at Haad Salad) and this was our favorite place by an absolute mile.

If you are looking for noise, energy and excitement - go elsewhere. If you are looking for a great vibe, meeting fellow travellers over a meal / drink, while watching the sunset in an open air restaurant - you have found paradise.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

Spent a week here in March on the quiet side of the island for sun and snorkeling. The bungalows were large with air con and fans, but the kitchen only had a sink and fridge - no kettle etc. The bungalows are right on the beach and there is a refreshing shower that people can use to wash off sea water and generally cool off. The sea water is really warm, the beach is really warm so a dip in the ocean is not as refreshing as you would expect!
Snorkeling is fantastic, it is so shallow you can walk out about 50m and then snorkel around the coral. The bungalows provided snorkels but these were worn and had many broken pieces that it may be worth purchasing your own before you get there.
There is no restaurant but loads of places to eat along the beach, my favourites were Coral Bungalows and Salad Hut Resort most of these places also have free wi fi.
I think the beach area in from of these bungalows is the best as down to the right the tide comes in and there is only 1 metre of beach to sit on and to the left the beach is too rocky to swim out into and covered with archored long boats.
10 minutes down the road is Koh Ma where snorkeling is incredible but I would advise taking coral shoes as I managed to cut my foot open on more than one occasion trying to get out of the water - and coral cuts hurt!
Only had one bad experience at the bungalows and that was our transfer to the port for the catamaran. We booked the night before but the manager seemed to have forgotten the next morning and we were almost left stranded!
This place only takes cash payments as well, so stop at an AMT in Thong Sala before you get to the bungalows.
Not sure if I would go back there again, as I would prefer somewhere with a pool so I can cool off.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I stayed here in August 2007 with a group of friends and we LOVED the place. I booked due to the good reviews we'd read online and we were not disappointed.

For the price (we paid THB$900 NZD$36 per couple per night) it was absolute luxury. The rooms are tastefully (and newly?) decorated, beds were large and each room had a mini kitchenette with fridge/bench etc and the bathrooms were very nice.

The bungalows are set in a nice well kept lawn/garden area with little pagodas you can sit out of the sun in. It's only metres to the beach (which was unfortunately very shallow and not much sand left when the tide is in). The bungalows have no restaurant, but this was not a problem at all as there are many restaurants to choose from if you walk up and down the beach. We found the place next door particularly good!

Staff were friendly and very unintrusive. Motorbike hire, massages, and gift shops were all available very close. All http://www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewround a great place to stay!

I don't think Asia Bungalows has a website, but you can check it out online at:
I can attest that the pictures do not lie!

• Liked — Tasteful interiors and value for money
  • Disliked — The shallow beach
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends

Been to Asia Bungalows? Share your experiences!