“Loved this Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 90 Hotels in Ko Phangan
wellington nz
“Loved this Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I loved our stay at Bottle Beach II. This is my favourite swimming beach - the sand was silky white, the water crystal clear and you could swim all day, with low tide not making much difference at all. We had a beachfront bungalow with a deck over the sand with a fantastic outlook past the palm trees, over the sand to the crystal clear water and blue sky. Bungalow was great value at NZ$37 and for this we got a deluxe beachfront with 2 double beds, table and wardrobe. Bathroom was a bit old but fine. It was all clean. Toilet paper in the bin, but they gave you spare bags, and when you asked they cleaned your room and linen every 2 days. They have loungers and chairs on the beach, comfy chairs on your balcony and some even have lilos. They also have a lovely big clean swimming pool although with that beach it is redundant. We found their restaurant had the best restaurant setting and food on the beach, although no ambiance at night (in fact nothing happening on the beach at all at night) Loved the friendly waiters. This beach had lots of day trippers but had an unspoilt/undiscovered feel, it was lined with budget bungalows, although sad to see a few motel style units – but no 5 star resorts like Noi! It was very relaxing sitting in a chair by the waters edge, feet sitting in the lapping water, reading a book, sun beating down - bliss! Loved our stay, although we nearly missed out as they did not respond to requests submitted on their web site or emails, so we rung in the end, and they even came and picked us up for reasonable rate. My only complaint would be the reception girls, not very friendly at all and very inefficient billing system.

Room Tip: Get a beach front
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple for 5 nights in August. We originally had planned to use the resort as our base for 2 weeks while we moved around koh phagnan but we moved on after 5 days for a few reasons. The beach is stunning here, the water is deep & clear, great for swimming & it's hard to find better on samui or phagnan. We took a delux bungalow a row back from the beach which we were told included breakfast. From the beginning the girl at reception was very concerned that we settle our bill daily or every two days. We felt this was a bit strange but as requested we checked it on the 2nd day & saw we were being charged for breakfast. We tried to discuss it with the same girl who told us only 80 baht of a breakfast was included. This was not even the problem but the girl was so rude, talking in Thai & rolling her eyes to the girl beside her & eventually being really aggressive to the point where we just left & said it was fine. We felt the staff in general were unprofessional & immature & when we ordered food/drinks we always felt like we were annoying them. They are mostly teenagers & more concerned with playing with the younger guests. One guy Yoyo from Burma was very nice though. Our room was ok, the bathroom was full of ants on the walls & there were so many geckos in the room regularly & larger lizards too, but you are in the jungle so it's to be expected. No fridge ithe room which iwould prefer to the tv as we never even turned it on. Also the room was never cleaned & the small towels were never changed. The food on bottle beach is very basic but inexpensive. Don't expect great food but the prices are cheap. drinks are also cheap here but f you're staying a few days, bring some water & snacks as there is no shop and you have to buy everything from the hotel which takes ages & obviously you pay a bit more. When we were checking out, they deducted the breakfast from our bill which was a nice gesture but at that stage the staff had left a dent with us & we were ready to go. We never had an issue with the price, we had just been asking a few questions. Overall bottle beach is nice for a couple of days but the accommodation & restaurants are basic & it's soooooo quiet at night.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Koh Samui
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

we book this hotel with a tour operator, ABF, transfer included, when we arrive, must wait 1 houre for the transfer, the hotel forget, when we arrive, the staff give to us a bungalow garden, every thin was borken inside, we booking with the tour operator a family bungalow airconditioned, sea view, i speaking with the staff and give the voucher, but said all is full, i phone to the tour operator, and after 30 minute the staff change us a room, every morning we go to take ABF, and the staff give the menu for chose what we want, and surprice in the end all was charge tu us, we asked what is this, the staff said to us includ is only 80 Baht, all the rest is extra, i said you must todl the client befort and said exacly what is includ, was the same for the room, we stay 5 days, and now one comme to clean the room and change the bed shet, we asked and staff said is normal, we chang every 3 days if we have time.

if you want to be like robison is a good , but if you want a service chose other hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I spent a week there and loved it!
Its not for party nights its more for people who likes to spend time on the beach away from civili noise and all the main city
I went for relaxing and chilling
I recommend this place with all of my hurt!
you will never forget it

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We have just spend 4 lovely days at Bottle Beach and Bottle Beach I resort. We stayed in Carrot Room wich was very nice. Very friendly staff - and good atmosphere. A speciel thanks to Kai for a great experience hiking to the view point and for his games and fun with the children. The best beach of Koh Phangan. We got totally relaxed and enjoyed the time in the restaurant "relax-area" and got used to that everything takes time - food, drinks etc. We had some cockroaches, gekkos etc in the room, and found a very big lizard in the pool, a snake in the restaurant etc. - so be prepared going back to nature - we weren't, but still had a very good time and will remember the stay for all the good things, the food, the view, the beach and the silence when all the day-tourist had left...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The location is one of the most beautiful in the world - & the staff at BB1 make this one of the most enjoyable places to stay. We've been for 4 years in a row & love the whole experience. Great diving with Paul too

• Stayed March 2012
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

After having my bungalow invaded by rabid monkeys in Khao Sok (see my review of Art's Riverview Lodge), I wanted a place to relax, unwind and start to enjoy my vacation again. Luckily, during the one 30 minute period in Khao Sok where there was power I had been able to scribble down BB1's phone number. I gave them a ring from the bus on my way to Surat Thani, and booked a beachfront bungalow (fan, cold water only) for 450 THB a night and car/boat pickup for 300 THB. It turned out to be the most relaxing part of my 2 month vacation in SE Asia.

GETTING THERE: There are technically 3 ways to get to BB:

1. 2+ hour hike from Chaklokum along a route marked by empty water bottles. NOT RECOMMENDED, since route markers are missing along some stretches of the path and it is easy to get lost if you don't have an experienced guide with you. There are thorny plants, so I ripped part of my shirt and got 5 cuts in my left leg, and TONS of mosquitos - I literally got 60+ mosquito bites when one morning I decided I want to try it out, and set off with a big bottle of water and very small knapsack. I followed the path for 1.5 hours before the route markers all of a sudden disappeared - I doubled back twice to make sure I was going on the right path but I think the markers had been washed away by the river in wet season and now there was nothing to tell me where to go in dry season. Since my phone didn't work (I had AIS but somehow the call didn't go through), I just did my best to forge a path for myself down to the nearest beach, where I had the luck of being able to wave down a nearby boat making its way to BB that came and picked me up (I wrapped my sarong around a stick and waved it around crazily).

2. 30+ minute trip off-roading in a 4-wheel drive pickup truck from BB1. Not highly recommended, since the "road" is extremely bumpy (tons of potholes) and narrow at points - not for the faint of heart at all. However, this is sometimes the only option when the weather on the sea makes the boat option not feasible

3. 30 minute ride by long-tail boat from Chaklokum town - by far the best option, costs 100 THB one way, very picturesque. However, only available when there is good weather

I paid 300 THB for both my transfers in and out of BB1, though I think the going rate is around 200 THB (even at BB1, or that's what the car driver who picked me up from the port implied). However, I was fine with paying 300 THB because 1) both times were really inconvenient (6AM in the morning and then 9PM at night - in both instances because I was taking the night ferry to/from Surat Thani) and 2) I doubt I could've negotiated anything better on my own (a taxi driver quoted me 150 THB just to Chaklokum when I first stepped off the night ferry) and it was very inconvenient.

Note that they first quoted me 500 THB (!!!) for the transfer out at 9PM since it was late, nobody else was going, and was not a regularly planned trip but I was able to negotiate it down to 300. So definitely negotiate with BB1!!!

ROOM: I had Garden room 3 on the beach, a simple, fan-only, cold shower bungalow with a flush toilet. The fan was right over the double bed, which had a nice big mosquito net. There was a sink, plenty of plastic bags and a clothesline out front for doing your own laundry. I paid 450 THB a night - I think the regular price is supposed to be 600 THB (which is way too high!) - because it was low season and I stayed 4 nights. 450 THB is probably still higher than a similar place down at BB3, but I was happy with my room and didn't really want to move. I didn't notice any cockroaches in my room, and the main bugs I saw were mosquitos and these tiny bugs that flocked to my iPad at night when I read. Generally quite clean and reasonable.

ACTIVITIES: The best thing to do here is to relax on the beach - read, sleep, tan, whatever. They have a pretty nice lending library, including the Alchemist and Balzac and the little Chinese seamstress. They have fantastic wood beach chairs as well as plastic lawn chairs - on my last night I dragged a lawn chair into the edge of the water and read while sitting down with my feet in the surf, it was wonderful. I slept 10+ hours every day and read 2-3 books a day.

They also have snorkeling (includes gear, boat ride, and water and 1-2 stops to snorkel) for 500 THB, massages for around 250 THB at a nice, dedicated hut at the edge of the ocean (I got 2 aloe vera massages while here, which were not as strong as I would've liked but still incredibly relaxing - I feel asleep both times), canoe rentals for 100 THB, a trip to the Ao Kang Marine Park for 1800 THB (whole day trip including snorkel gear, food, as well as canoeing), and a pool. OK Internet available for 100 THB an hour (was able to Skype so the connection was fine), and boat rides to Chaklokum every afternoon for 100 THB each way.

I brought my own snorkel gear but half of BB is very rocky and there generally isn't much marine life to see other than sea cucumbers.

FOOD: Pretty good - the fruit drinks (around 30-40THB) and cocktails (80-100 THB) were only OK and they couldn't get me any fresh coconuts the whole time I was there! But the seafood curries were delicious (though sometimes they didn't have shrimp or squid, etc.; around 70-100 THB) and one day they had fresh kingfish that the owner had just caught earlier that day (150 THB?).

Staff were really friendly and helpful, though not always the best informed (one waiter informed me that the kingfish was all gone, the next confirmed that this was NOT the case, etc.).

ADDITIONAL TIPS: YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST BRING 50%+ DDT MOSQUITO REPELLENT. I had 20% DDT spray that I brought from the US (OFF brand, the same brand that BB1 sells in their store coincidentally) but it was TOTALLY USELESS. I literally got 80+ mosquito bites all over, especially on my feet and left thigh. It was so disgusting that when I showed the lady at reception she was actually shocked and just gave me a bottle of calamine lotion to use. Another traveler then told me that you must have 50%+ DDT repellent otherwise it doesn't work - so I went to the pharmacy at Chaklokum town (across from the 7-11) and bought 95% DDT which was THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED and helped ensure I had only 3 mosquito bites the rest of the time I was on BB.

Also, beware of the wild rabid dogs that are sometimes on the beach! One of the resort owners has a domesticated dog but some are wild, rabid and WILL BITE! One of the guests at BB3 got bitten by one and had to be flown to the nearest hospital! They are extremely loud, had a huge litter when I was there and sometimes would fight and bark very loudly at night. One night one of them ran toward me and I ran into my bungalow just in time.

All in all, this was the most relaxing part of my vacation - and whenever I need a mental break now, I always think of BB.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo