“bad experience!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 79 hotels in Ko Lanta
Whistler, Canada
“bad experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

where to start. so its supposedly "low season" didn't read or hear about this anywhere but first really noticed it when I got to Ko Lanta. at first it was real nice, pool was clean & went swimming in there to cool off. noticed that there was no one around, the beach was real dirty right in front of the resort loads of rubbish, a shame pictures looked so nice. when I inquired about tours reception didn't really have much information or brochures as the tour/holiday office had also been closed along with the restaurant and bar of the resort. I really wanted to do the 4 island tour, which was amazing and went with Lanta Garden Hill Speed Boat Island Tours, great crew! Doing this I needed to stay another night. I got a cheaper rate as I'm sure I was the only one staying there but still wasn't that great a price for no restaurant, bar, proper tour info and no wi-fi in the rooms. Then it got worse the next 24 hours; shower didn't work (thought I was just tried and might be a trick I'd have one in the morning), there was ants everywhere including in a pillow in the bed rubbish bins and in the bathroom. pushing 2 twins beds together when one is higher is just annoying. waking up to the A/C dripping water. By the morning I'd had enough went to find Joe the boss man (who the night before came by to introduce himself & tell me what was actually open around the area, which was good). No luck, by this stage I was done as I'd also got food poisoning from the "Greek Tavern" just down the road and have been in bed so sick for the last 4 days. When I informed the girl at the front desk about the room she wasn't very helpful on locating Joe, just saying I can give you another room, but i wasn't going to pay anymore I just wanted out! I've paid half the price at all the other places in Thailand and got better service/cleanliness/facilities. I went to splash out for something nice, ha that back fired!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Pavilion123, Director of Sales at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
I'm sorry that people still do not seem to realize that it is very seasonal here. After the Thai New Year in mid-April, the monsoon winds start to blow and all kind of junk washes up on some beaches, like driftwood, seaweed and anything else that floats. We get very strong onshore winds. After cleaning, it is back with the next tide. This is why we sell the rooms at 50 to 80% off. I have written to all of the major on-line booking agents and told them to explain this -- some do and some won't. In any event, google is full of information! Just google "Koh Lanta slow season". The 60% - 80% off this customer paid should have been a clue. Having said this, the island is still quite worth a visit as many tours still operate, everything is a bargain and many beautiful beaches are sheltered from the wind and the beaches stay clean.

I remember the A/C dripping because the customer did find me and I informed them that they could wait 10 minutes to have the drain unplugged or change rooms. They opted to change rooms. The shower worked fine when I checked it. As for the ants, in the tropics, one speck of food will draw them. When the food is gone, the ants disappear. We are happy to clean the rooms every time the "clean room" sign is left on the door knob. Because we were slow (about 8 rooms that day) I did make it a point to contact every guest personally and explain what there was to do on the island and about all of the many tours available and give them my room number so they could contact me if they needed anything and couldn't find the staff during our closing hours (I am in the office from 9-12 am and 6-9 pm and the reception is open 8-5 in the slow season). I spent time explaining every tour and made a list of good restaurants in the area. Sorry about the food poisoning. I have never had it here, but I have lived here for a long time and have resistance to local bugs. I find the Greek Taverna to be very good by any standard, but food poisoning is common and can come from anywhere.

Room rates vary widely in Thailand (and everywhere else). I used to stay in a nice room in Kanchanaburi (bridge over the river Kwai) for 10 dollars. But tropical islands are expensive! Still, I think this guest paid 20 -25 dollars, and the only thing you can get for less on Koh Lanta is a bamboo bungalow with no toilet or A/C, T.V. fridge, hot water, real bed,wardrobe, tour office etc. Just you and the ants!

So sorry this customer did not enjoy their stay. We do try, but can't control the weather or the bugs! We are still a bargain in the "monsoon" season. Check for our promotions!

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Crowthorn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We loved this small family run resort. There were about 30 bungalows a small bar/restaurant, pool and it is right on the beach. The ladies on reception spoke very good English and were extremely friendly and helpful. There is wi-fi access in the bar area but not the rooms - not a big deal. The bungalows are basic in terms of furniture but you can choose a bungalow with air conditioning. There is a small fridge and a TV. Filter water is replenished. The food in the restaurant was amazing! Tasty, hot and a good selection. It was a fun and relaxing place. A walk up the long beach means that you see a great selection of beach bars and restaurants. Thank you Pavillion, we loved it!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with air conditioning rather than a fan.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Pavilion123, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
I am happy that you enjoyed your time here. We do try! Hope to see you again one day!

Joe
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We didnt have anywere to stay and founded randomly .

Was love at first sight , great swimming pool , beautiul and proudly taking care of gardens . Clean and confortable bungalow with small terrace . Nice beach front spot , nice restaurant andnot far from town if you look for more night life and great staff perfect price what else could ask for to start your holidays??? . We couldnt wait to lay on the beach after the tedious bus ride from bkk .

Then we realised all our money and cards were stollen on the bus ,, please guys watch out bus rides!!!!!!!

So we have to spend 2 days sorting the mess out , Wi fi was great , staff so Helpfull with speacial mention of The manager Mr Hunter Who even 2 months later is still helping me with my bank mess
And its quite nice to be dealing with banks and internet seating in your chair o the beach ....

Highly recomended

Enjoy it!!!!!!Pat

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012 via mobile

I booked online for 4 nights but ended up staying for 9. The location is wonderful, the Sunset Restuarant is right on the beach and was a great place to cool off in the shade or watch the sunset. Yes, there are rocks at low tide but there is a nice swimming pool if you want to swim at that time.
The taxi to the village or to another beach is cheap and he is very friendly.
The rooms are basic but it's not 5 star hotel so you get what you get for the price.
I was with a friend for a few days and the rest by myself. The staff and other guests were very kind and inviting. If you are looking for a nice, peaceful vacation, this is the spot. If you want a party go to Phi Phi.
The bar and restaurant staff are super kind. A little slow but sweet. The food is a little pricey but very good.
Down fall- the young front desk girl was very rude. My room wasn't cleaned when I had the "Make my room up" sign was up and she told me there was no sign and it's too late for house keeping to clean. I also told her I would like to stay two more days. When I went to pay the next day with another woman, she told me I never said anything so my room was booked and have to upgrade for 200B.
Besides the one staff member, I had a wonderful experience at the Lanta Pavilion. I can't wait to stay there again!!

• Stayed March 2012
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Lovely setting right beside the beach, tho there are rocks when the tide is out. There is also a refreshing pool available. Nice friendly hotel with very helpful and welcoming staff.Large room was bright, clean and fresh.
Small restaurant has a vast selection on the menu - everything I sampled was very good and served with a smile.
Great for sunsets. A very quiet peaceful location but there are lots of other small restros and bars along the beach, some small shops up on the road, ATM, internet and lots massage places. 20/25 mins from the ferry.
Sad to leave.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Rooms were nice, with a small terrace outside and nice garden around the bungalow. Staff was really helpful, help me to book activities and arrange transportation. We also ate at the restaurant few nights, food is not the best in Thailand but the restaurant is just in front of the beach, so you can eat and admire the sunset just in front of you. They also offer a barbecue on dinner, with fresh fish and seafood. You can also hire motorbikes, best way to visit the island. Only thong a bit annoying, we had only 2 plugs in our room, one for the Tv and the other one for the fridge, so if you need to plug anything you will need to unplug one of them.

Room Tip: Choose the "new" bungalow with A/C At the restaurant choose a table set up directly on th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

Greetings from Singapore.

Thank you for the great hospitality during my stay.

Rooms are clean and location is near to quite a couple of restaurants if you wish to eat outside the resort's restaurant if you are on a budget. However, the resort's food is excellent needless to say.

7-11, convenience store and atms are a walking distance.

Great hospitality and the staffs are friendly too.

I do hope there will be free wi-fi in the room next time and taps nearby the rooms to wash our feet if we come back from other beaches so that we do not need to go all the way to the restaurant to wash our feet.

Other than that i had a great time staying at lanta pavillion resort.

Thank you for the great service to Fan or Fun (i think that is how his name is spelled), to the midde-aged lady at the counter, to the other two male waiters and the girl who asked how was my 4 island trip.

Effendi

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Lanta Pavilion Resort? Share your experiences!