“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Twin Bay Resort

You added Twin Bay Resort to your Saves list
Twin Bay Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Moo 1, Koh Lanta Yai Island | Saladan, Ko Lanta 81150, Thailand   |
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Tezpur, Assam
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Right from the moment we landed at the resort it felt so beautiful. Seetee, the girl at the reception, was always smiling and so welcoming. We had a beach front room which was really so nice and clean. Of course the lack of a tea maker and a safe in the room did rankle us a bit. The staff was always smiling and very prompt in service. The food and the service at the restaurant was quite good. The pool too was clean as we could see the staff cleaning it every morning.
The manager Mr Dee was what one would call a busy bee. All the we were there we would always see him working to give the place a better look. He was himself cleaning and colouring the poolside bar, preparing coconut tree shards for decorating the wall. Hope I will be able to see the refurbished bar in the hotel pics soon. I evensaw him cleaning up our table in the restaurant!
So was the guy who took us on a day trip of the island. Even though we had negotiated for a tuk tuk ride, he eventually took us around in his four wheel drive as it us very hot in the sun but still charged the same. The island itself is very beautiful and clean. The beaches too had hardly any people but were nice. Especially the beach i front of the resort. It was cleaner than the parts in front of the nearby resorts. I could just go on and on. It was the best experience of our Thailand trip.
Thank you Twin Bay. Thank you Mr Dee.

Room Tip: Beach Front and beach facing rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Dr. Danny,

It's always a nice feeling to bounce back from a negative review to one that makes us all at Twin Bay smile. I guess that is why you are a Doctor, your medicine has certainly worked.

Well as this business has taught me over the many years, you win some and loose some, and as long as you always aim to win, you cant be faulted for trying. It is my team of staff here that have the drive to win, i'm just the guy who pushes them forward step by step. From the refreshing Setee at front office, to the "the old boy" who keeps the gardens clean and groomed, they all play a hand in Twin Bay's progression up the ladder of guest service.

I totally agree with your comments about the lack of in room safes and tea making facilities in the room. I have donated a few of my kettles over this season to coffee and tea addicts and it is on the top of my list to provide them for next season. The safes are in my budget proposal and hopefully we can start fitting them in.

I have added photos of the new bar on our social network site ( i cant use the name here ) so if you can find us, you can see them. if not i will add new ones to our own website over the coming weeks.

Many thanks for your review and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

rm@twinbaylanta.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Thai first
helsinki
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Me and my friend stayed in this hotel in April 2012.
We booked and prepaid in advance first for 3 nights and then for 5 extra night in a beach front room.

I have have been travelling in Thailand now for seven different times and stayed in a big variety of different types hotels from one star to five stars hotels but never ever stayed in horrible and disappointing hotel like this one!

This hotel was everything else than what we expected after reading Tripadvisor’s reviews and watching all the images from other travellers.

The hotel room was horrible! I don’t even know where to start.
Between front door and room floor was a huge gap where all insects were able to come in, like long walking dark coloured worm (I don’t know name for that creature) and cockroaches. (see the pictures)

Hotel area was generally ok except the swimming pool, which was filthy of dead bugs and the Jacuzzi didn’t work, overall swimming pool area was outdated and all paint was flaking away from wooden made swimming pool area. Towels was looking a bit dirty and old.

There was no in room safe. Only safe was located at the reception and if you have for example Ipad and bigger digital camera with you like we did then there isn’t no safe place where to keep the items.

Complimentary shower supplies (shampoos, conditioner etc.) was a bit odd. Why Twin Bay hotel have some Bangkok hotel labels products? I would say it’s a cheap and tacky to offer shampoos from a different hotel. (see the picture)

After 3 sleepless nights we decided to leave Twin Bay hotel and find a new hotel even though we lose all or partly our money after prepaying the 5 extra night. But we were on a holiday and we didn’t want to spend it in a poor hotel where we couldn’t even sleep in the middle of cockroaches and all the other bugs. The whole room was smelling mouldy. We could even hear rats walking between roof and ceiling at the night time.

Few days later I did get very sick. I went first to Krabi hospital and few days later in Kuala Lumpur hospital and stayed in a hospital for 3 days because an serious infection. After telling to a doctor that what kind of dirty, full of bugs and how mouldy hotel/room we stayed was, the doctor was pretty convinced that Twin Bay hotel unhygienic facility’s was cause of infection. Of course nobody can’t prove it for 100% but I personally trust my hotel experience and what doctors said.

Maybe the only good thing in this hotel was friendly and helpful staff but unfortunately that isn’t enough if the hotel it self is poor.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

Well we win some and we loose some. We obviously lost your support for the resort. I presume you are the couple that has just sent me an email saying that you would be sending a very negative review if we don't refund your money.

Well your money was dully refunded and clearly that was not enough to stop you from your review. It is a great shame that you encountered what you say you encountered, although some of the photos do look a little staged. Being on an island and on the ground rather than high rise, we are bound to come across wildlife of all sorts and to the majority that is part and parcel of such a place. To say that your infection was due to the resorts hygienic standards i feel is very harsh even though say you can not be 100% sure. In the past 6 months of managing this resort, i can safely say i have not had any sick guests because any hygiene issues that have come to light.

To summarise this all, i do apologize the resort did not meet your hygiene standards. No doubt other readers will take note of your review. I would like to reassure them that we at Twin Bay strive on bettering ourselves as you will see from the majority of reviews we have had since taking over this beautiful resort.

Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at Twin bay resort for 19 days in april 2012 in a beachfront bungalow.

Must say that the location is just great with just some meters to the ocean, and the pool close by.

Lots of trees and a very green resort at all.

Staff are very friendly and have always a smile on their faces.

Yes it is a little bit from Saladan village but if you hire a motorbike or take a tuktuk you reach the village in a couple of minuits.

Cleaning in the room is perfect, and the cleaninglady make nice decorations with the towels every day.

Breakfast is average. Toast, jam, youghurt,cornflakes, fruits, juice, coffe, the, egg in all forms, pancakes, thaifood, bacon. .

Even though the resort was full booked for some days we were there was it quiet and calm. There was always place to have a sunbed even if you slept a little longer in the morning.
Poolarea a very nice and clean with a bar close by.

Extra plus for free WIFI in the room.

If you like to watch tv in the night you have a tv in the room. But the channels were pretty boring. Maybe there will be better later on.

On the minus i must mention the pretty boring bathroom. Concrete with some strange red colour. But after som days you did not think about it. But overall ok.

The beds are very hard.

Floor in room 332 are very noisy when you walk at it.

Overall we are very pleased and will come back and will surely recommend it for other who want a realxing vacation. The resort lives up to the expectations.

During our stay we had a tsunamiwarning and i must say that the manager handle it in a very good way.

Good luck with the renovations!

Michael& Åsa Andersson

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Michael and Asa

Morning greetings from the pool bar. As always, it is a great pleasure to open up TripAdvisor over coffee and see what the world thinks of us. Yet again a lovely review of quote "A cosy place in a great location" Thank you for that.

Yes the Tsunami event was out of the blue and luckily nothing more than a scare. It was all the guests that made the evacuation so orderly and as you said it was handled well because of that. Down to breakfast, i agree for long staying guests like yourselves, Breakfast can be a bit on the boring side, I've had 5 months of it and will certainly be looking at ways to vary it for next high season. A good breakfast equals a hassle free day in my mind.

The accommodation side of things. I do agree that the red splatter on the walls doesn't hit the note with some people, including myself, so i will be arming the staff with paint brushes now that the low season is here and aim to give them all a new and fresher look. Bed hardness has on occasions been brought to my attention and we did buy additional mattress covers to fit on those beds that we know about having a problem. Time to rethink our mattress policy is clearly due. The squeaky floor was mentioned previously by another guests back in December i think.. Let me see what my engineer can do about that.

Renovations and decorations have started and comments like yours highlight areas that need to be added to my "to do list"

Thanks once again for a lovely review and look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

My family and many friends (13 of us, 8 adult and 5 kids) have just returned from spending 5 days at the Twin Bay resort. I had never been to Koh Lanta before and had no idea what to expect. So after searching the web I came across Twin bay reviews on Tripadvisor. They seemed mostly to be positive but their was some not so happy campers. What impressed me was the response back from Jon the Resort manager to the people in question. he was honest, thorough and very simpathetic with their complaints and feedback. This is what actually persuaded me to stay here funnily enough.
Well, all I can say is I am so glad that I went with my gut instinct and stayed at this resort because it was awesome.

The staff were so friendly even down to the lovely hospitality cleaning staff - they were always first to offer a sawadee greeting and smile everytime. The reception staff were always abliged to help you in any way- whether it was to do with tours or hiring tuk tuk motorbikes or problems with lanuage barrier- they were there to help.
The bar staff were great fun and you could have a laugh with them. The only downside was their lack of selections of alcohol as it was the end of the good season and the hotel wasn't ordering any new stock (understandable) But we had fun making up our own drinks to compensate.

The accomodation was fantastic and clean. We had booked three types of accomodation offered.
A standard room x 2, Family room and Beachfront . Jon upgraded one of our families to a beachfront suite for the family of 5 that were travelling with us.(Thanks Jon). This was a perfect size for them.

The buffet breakfast was great offering a selection of western food. Even more entertaining was when the cheeky monkey came from nowhere and stole the bunch of bananas he had been eyeing off - "a very rare site this was" the locals were saying but extremly amusing for all those that saw it that morning.

The kids loved the pool -we loved it all!
Its a short distance into the main town area and hiring a tuk tuk motor bike from locals made it cheaper for us to commute.

All in all I am so happy we stayed here an look forward to staying at Twin Bay again. Jon (RM) is true to his word and is puting 150% in to have this place up to a higher standard with new renovations, new staff and training and upgrading old procedures to be new and fresh.
An interesting man with a great sense of humour who doesnt mind a chat while he works away.
You will love the layed back lifestyle here. Yes we will be back!

Lisa

Room Tip: Beachfront suites are great - for a few dollars more well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Lisa and crew,

You just made my morning coffee taste that much better. I just shared this review with one of my staff and the smile it brought to her was real.

We all remember you and the gang you brought along in tow. Nothing better than 13 Aussies on a mission to enjoy themselves. You clearly did that and entertained the locals admirably i must say. I think you summed up your stay and the resort in general as the way i saw/see it. Yes there are things to do to bring it up to the standard i and the owner expect and our sleeves are rolled up now that low season has finally arrived.

I for sure and the remainder of my team will certainly look forward to your return and i promise to have the bar fully stocked.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We were there only for 2 nights. Would have been ideal to stay there for another 2. The family bungalows are very nice and the area is very green! Being able to walkout to the beach is nice. The restaurant is quite nice, not too pricey and serves some western as well. Very kid friendly environment.

It took us THB2700 and 2 hours to get from the airport to this place, that was not so great especially for a short trip. We had the hotel book the ride, on the way we booked our own ride and it was thb2200. the town Sala Dan is a 50 thb per person ride away and has 7-11 and restaurants. Very friendly people as always! Would certainly go back for a longer time. We went in April so only a couple of other families there. It probably gets much busier at other times

You can get day tours via boat which start off right from the beach! Snorkelling is nice, of course.

Room Tip: Family bungalows are nice! Dont know much aboutmother rooms. Get the beach facing one if possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review of Twin Bay resort. Singapore is only a hop skip and a jump from Koh Lanta and makes for a great long weekend get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

I agree the airport transfer is quite steep but we have to use an outsourced company for this as we do not have a suitable minibus (yet) to arrange the transfers ourselves. Once we do acquire a minibus i will certainly look at the pricing. Likewise the tuk tuk trips, again outsourced and would very much to have our own the next high season.

I am delighted that you would consider visiting us again and hope we have that opportunity in the not too distant future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Great resort, fab location, pool amazing and beautifully clean, great family place, clean rooms, food in the restaurant is amazing, only slightly higher prices than in town prices but ten times better.

A few minor irritations that were easily rectified by the manager and staff, some very surly staff that didn't add to the ambience, but equally some really lovely staff who made up the balance.

We were a big group with kids in tow and this was a great place to stay. Would come back and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Dear valued Guest

Again i would use your nae if i knew it but the profile only says Fizz. Well from that name i can only assume it is drink related or you are a bubbly character. I clearly remember a " posse" of Kiwis coming through Twin Bay and i guess you were one of them. Please correct me if i am wrong of course.

It is reviews like yours, and others before you, that truly make my work and commitment to Twin Bay so worthwhile. I've had sleepless nights in the past but my sleep patterns are now becoming more stable. Anyhow, still lots more to do to please and meet our guest's expectations, low season sounds low but in reality its just a mask for acting on all reviews and comments i have received during the last 5 months of managing here.

Thanks once again for your kind words. The " very surly staff " i believe have now left as the season closes.but "smiling courses" start this coming Monday

Coventry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We recently stayed at Twin Bay for 5 nights during our visit to Thailand. We stayed in an Executive Beach Front room which was fantastic! Jon made our visit very enjoyable, welcoming us when we arrived after a long day travelling from Koh Samui. Jon is always available to talk during your stay to help with any questions you may have. The location is superb, a beautiful beach/ 5 mins into Saladan Town centre on a Tuk Tuk, which are always readily available outside the hotel. The hotel has a superb swimming pool which is set in beautiful surroundings, sun beds always readily available, with a pool bar close to hand (happy hour starts at 17:00). Our room was cleaned beatifully everyday, the towels configured as a different animal on the bed each day. The restaurant offers excellent value for money, be careful not to order too much as the portions are large! Overall an excellent 3 star hotel with the potential to increase to a 5 star with some investment/ changes in personnel in some areas, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would visit again during a trip to Ko Lante, ideal for both couples and families.

Room Tip: Definitely an Executive beach front room!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Kevin

Many thanks for a wonderful review of Twin Bay. I noted that you both were very quick to de-stress after your journey from Koh Samui.

Naturally i have posted this review, as i do with all reviews, on the staff board to let them know what are guests are saying about us. It was a pleasure to welcome you both and to organize the congratulatory dinner on the terrace..

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the not too distant future.

Resort manager
rm@twinbaylanta.com

Been to Twin Bay Resort? Share your experiences!