“Great staff, hotel and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Layana Resort and Spa

You added Layana Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Layana Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   272 Moo 3 Phra-Ae Beach | Saladan, Ko Lanta 81150, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Linger Longer on Friday's
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Ko Lanta
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff, hotel and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'd been meaning to write a review for this hotel for a while but somehow time got away and it slipped my mind. It was only after I recommended Layana to friends that I thought I better post a review to show my appreciation to the staff for the care they showed during my stay.

I stayed at Layana in April 2012 for 5 nights. I was holidaying with my partner and on the second last day of our stay at the hotel my partner and I felt tremors in our room (the bed and blinds shook a little). We called reception to see if they had received any notification about the cause and severity of the tremors. The person who took our call didn't seem to understand what my partner was saying and suggested that there was a leak in our room. We ended the call quickly and checked online to see what earthquakes had been registered in the area. Surely enough a large quake had just been registered off the coast of Sumatra and about another 15 minutes later the BBC were broadcasting news on their website that a Tsunami may hit the island several hours later.

As we began to pack our things, a staff member came to our room to warn us of the Tsunami threat. He was very calm, said that we needed to leave quickly and organised for a golf buggy cart to take us from our room to the evacuation point. Once we were ferried to the evacuation point where all the other guests had gathered, the hotel quickly organised vehicles for everyone to be driven up to another hotel on the high point of the island. Once were were on the high point of the island we found ourselves waiting for the Tsunami to arrive, along with loads of other guests from different hotels.

We had to wait it our for several hours but during this time the Layana staff ensured that all their guests were served hot food and beverages, and the manager of the hotel kept us regularly informed with what he knew.

Eventually we were able to return to the hotel as no Tsunami ever came. Once we were back at the hotel is quite late so the hotel provided a lovely free dinner and alcohol for all their guests.

Given the circumstances I was pretty impressed with how Layana handled the situation and I was very glad that I was staying at Layana on this occasion as other hotel guests we met at the high point weren't afforded such organised care as we were.

Aside from the drama we experienced, we loved the hotel. The facilities are lovely, the beach and bar area are great and you could spend all day laying on the sun beds by the water relaxing. The restaurant food is a bit hit and miss. Their traditional thai dishes are done well but some of the Asian fusion dishes are only OK.

I recommend taking the private fast boat to the hotel. This was really lovely and I also recommend the dive trip that you can book through the dive centre at the hotel.

We also took a cooking class at "Time for Lime" cooking school at venue further down the beach. I'm a keen cook and I've been to Thai cooking schools before, but Time for Lime was an excellent and informative hands on class. I really recommend.

We also hired a motorcycle from the hotel and we enjoyed riding around the island and stopping off and eating at different places during the day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We used to stay at Layana regularly having visited the hotel five times in three years, but since the ownership and management change we hadn’t been back until this latest trip to Thailand.

Up until leaving Layana last in 2010 we were Layana people through and through and, defying logic, found each successive trip better than the previous, so returning after a two year break and the hotel having changed hands left us somewhat unsure and slightly anxious as to what we might find had happened to our much-loved resort.

However within seconds of stepping out of the swish new Layana transport from the airport and stepping into the reception areas our doubts began to subside as we were warmly met by smiling new and old faces. Stefan, the new GM took time to make us feel at home and explained to us some of the changes that had and were taking place, and as usual the impressive reception staff busily took care of the formalities so that within no time we were back in the room that we knew so well from previous visits.

Many of the staff, from the beach / pool area, restaurant and room service areas are still the same people we had become familiar and friendly with in the past, so slipping back into our relaxed Layana way was a breeze and it was soon as if nothing had changed.

But clearly things have and are changing. There were subtle colour, fixture and fitting changes in our room, new beach furniture, and the spa was temporarily relocated to other resort premises while we were there while the original spa building is renovated, to mention just a few of the many on-going initiatives that are in place.

In our opinion Layana has always benefitted from a strong and effective General Manager. Equally, the supporting management team were and are always in evidence, making themselves available to either simply pass the time of day or discuss an issue, no matter how small or large. Stefan Heintze, the new (to us) GM, is I’m pleased to say, another strong, effective and available manager. We had one issue during our stay which Stefan took ownership of and managed very effectively.

After a week back at Layana we leave with a sad heart but happy to know that we are Layana people again and already planning and discussing our next visit.

Room Tip: We've always had a Garden Pavilion room, which is the lowest level of accommodation available an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Hello, this was our third time we went to Layana and we can tell again fantastic, great, superb. We stayed from 05 oct till 17th. When you arrive you are welcomed and you feel directly at home. The whole crew at Layana, Stephan the manager, the poolboys, the staff at bar, at reception, at restaurant, the cleaning teams, the spa teams in one word SUPERB. This is a place you want to return as nothing is too much for staff, great food also, and wonderfull surroundings what do you want more?
Be assured we come back as you can t tell with words the feelings you get when being there. Thanks Layana for the wonderfull stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Not sure if Layana is as good as everyone says it is? Well I can tell you it is!
My husband and I had 10 days there in September. We heard about Layana from a German lady when we were staying at The Sarojin 2 years ago. She said Layana was beautiful and she highly recommended it. In fact, she told us that she and her husband go back there every year.
So, on that basis we thought it must be good and after reading all the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to see for ourselves. And we weren’t disappointed.

With a hint of worry about high expectations not being met, our van enters the long driveway and we soon discover a piece of paradise. Set in beautiful, well maintained gardens and grounds and with the ocean glistening beyond, Layana is a pretty picture to behold.

Our accommodation was a beach hut which I would highly recommend if you can afford it. It was private, well appointed and had everything you need as well as your own deck chairs set up in front of the hut and only a few steps from the sand.

We ate all our meals at Tides Restaurant and enjoyed every one of them. There was enough choice and variety on the menu to keep us interested for the 10 days. The prices were reasonable and tax and service charge was included – so what you see is what you pay – great! Watching the beautiful sunset during happy hour is well worth a cocktail and a meal at Tides. It is truly spectacular.
Although it was low season, it rained for only 2 days and the rest of the time the weather was beautiful and warm. Most days we swam in the pool and in the sea to cool off after a morning run along the beach. On an overcast and cool day we rode the push bikes to Old Lanta town – a 28 km round trip. It was good to see Koh Lanta along the way. We were also driven into Saladan and had lunch at a little cafe called Coffee My House. The bread was freshly baked and the coffee good, so if you’re looking for a light lunch in Saladan it’s worth a try. Another day Mhee took us out on the longtail boat to the islands and on the way back we fed the monkeys.
I would also highly recommend a massage at the Spa. The lovely Ning, who is the Spa Manager, will look after you and select a therapist according to your preference of massage. We had three great massages from experienced therapists and I also had a facial. There are cheaper massage places down the road but the whole experience; ambience etc of the Spa is well worth the extra cost.
I have purposely left comments about the staff until last because there is so much I want to say about everyone. We have travelled extensively throughout Asia and I would have to say the staff at Layana are the nicest people we have ever encountered. They made us feel like royalty – every single day! I know they’re trained to be friendly and courteous but by the end of our stay we felt like we were farewelling family. We were particularly impressed with Kanin, the Assistant General Manager who went out of his way to ensure we had a memorable holiday.
Another mention must be made of Woot, the Food & Beverage Manager, and his wonderful staff.
If you’re lucky enough to be served by Solae, Ying, Dee, Ratchanee and Yoh (who made us delicious cappuccinos) at breakfast and lunch, and by Joy, Goong, Auang, Oum, Slim and Khom at dinner you will experience first class service with a smile, accompanied by a delicious meal. Dinnertime was always a highlight of our day.
So in summing up, if you’re looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday that offers excellent service, delicious food, stunning sunsets, well this is the place. I can guarantee you won’t be disappointed and you will leave this beautiful resort with a vow to return one day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife spent 7 days at layana (we left yesterday and this is heartbreaking)
2 nights at the suit and 4 nights at the garden pavilion.
Words can not express how enjoyable this vacation was but I will try anyway :)
- everything is sparkling clean
- the rooms are luxurious on every aspect
- the restaurant is amazing, lunch menu and dinner menu and specials - you never get bored
- the best breakfast you'll get in Thailand
- service is something else, I have never seen or experienced such good quality of service, this is something to remember and envy (why isn't it like that anywhere else?)
- staff is helpful, warm, gentle, caring and dedicated

In one word : this is a PERFECT resort, we had a PERFECT time, nothing compares to layana (truly...)

Thanks to the management for making this dream alive.

• Stayed October 2012
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is the sort of place that is as near perfect as you can get. The staff bend over backwards in a really lovely way to be helpful. It's spotlessly clean. We stayed in a ocean deluxe suite which had a huge bedroom with airconditioning, double wash basins, separate bath, shower and toilet AND a wonderful outdoor shower. Great toiletries.
Upstairs is a beautiful area where you overlook the wonderful beach. You can sleep under a mosquito net in the open air if you want.
The breakfast was excellent quality though a slight nitpick would be that I'd have liked to have seen local dishes such as sticky rice with mango for breakfast.
The Tides restaurant is excellent and very cheap for such a high quality hotel.
The pool is exquisite with a beautiful view of the sea. The beach is kept immaculately clean.

You can eat locally for £2.50 a head! Just go out the drive and turn left. After about 500 metres on the left there is Krua kritsana where you can Som Tam carrot, Laab chicken with thai herbs, Panang curry and many more wonderful things.
Lastly I'd suggest going out about 7.30 am on one of the free bicycles from the resort, turn left and buy a local breakfast on the street of sticky rice with mango and lots of other wonderful things. Just buy what the locals buy.
Overall a slice of heaven.

Room Tip: The ocean deluxe suites are worth the extra
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our three nights at Layana rates as one of our most blissful holiday experiences ever. Everything was exceptional -

- Airport pickup service and welcome - friendly and professional
- Food and beverage - lovely breakfast spread, great cocktails at sunset during happy hour and some of the biggest prawns for dinner I have ever seen!
- Tours - even though it was low season the staff organised a lovely snorkelling trip with a local dive company to Koh Haa, which was a real treat. They also booked our cooking class at Time for Lime. We took a sunset cruise in the mangroves by longtail boat organised by Layana which was also really beautiful.
- Rooms - absolutely gorgeous with every amenity, lovely fruit platter, turn down service and toiletries
- Spa treatments - fab!
- Pool - gorgeous!
You get the idea...we really loved it. Special mention must go to the staff - everyone we encountered was absolutely delightful and were full of suggestions and helped to ensure every guest had an amazing stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Layana Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!