“Tasty food on the beach - and cheap” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Sao Paulo
“Tasty food on the beach - and cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had lunch some times in Funky Fish and it's very good. The portions are big, so if you order fish you can definitely share. Also, the food is good and cheap - if you compare with neighboring restaurants you'll see. I had the impression that the service is late sometimes, because I've seen some people complaining about it. But with us all the times we went there is was ok, no problems at all. Highly recommend.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

84% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Worst food ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I typically don't rate restaurants, but I want to save any other tourists from wasting their money at this horrible place. The food was so bad here that we left before all our food arrived and ended up eating again down the beach at the far better and slightly higher priced Thai Cat. I don't even know how to describe the food served at the Funky Fish, but it was so bad that I couldn't even take two bites of the spring rolls they served.
When we told the waitress we wanted to pay for our food (even the food we didn't get yet) and leave, she just kept yelling "If you didn't want it, you should have just told us" in a very loud and mean voice. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Don't waste your money, just eat at the Thai Cat where the food is great, the service is friendly and the atmosphere is much more inviting.
The only charming thing about this restaurant is the location. It has a great view of the sunset, but so does every other bar on the beach.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food at fantastic price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Funky Fish is easily one of the best value eats on the beach of Long Beach. We ate there about 4-5times. Most places are about 130-160baht, Funky is 80-110baht. Drinks are 50baht (beer), 60baht (juice). They do awesome mixed smoothies which was different from other places.

Most places overcharge for breakfast, Funky has a lot of the same options at a better price. Often breakfast only cost us 120baht between two people.

Service can be a bit slow. Don't eat here if you are in a hurry. Enjoy the beach view and relax :)

Definitly try the Fried Noodles and Tom Kah (best dishes we had).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hammond, Wisconsin
“Delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I highly enjoyed the food at Funky Fish. We were wandering down the beach, trying to find a good place to eat, when we came across the outside patio for Funky Fish. It was pretty busy, so we took it as a sign to stop. It is right on the beach. I ordered the barracuda and my boyfriend got the mussels (a little over 2 1/2 pounds--quite a plate full!) on special (like all seafood, only available if they had luck in the sea that day). The waitress actually took him back into the kitchen to show him the mussels so he knew what he was getting. My boyfriend never asked to see them; she just beckoned him over and showed him.The chefs cooked them all up in a white wine and garlic sauce.

We devoured the food like no other! The barracuda was absolutely melt-in-your mouth. It was loaded with fresh garlic. While my very picky boyfriend felt the mussels were not quite as good as in Italy, he did say they were the 2nd or 3rd best he ever had. Price was pretty cheap too, considering we ate a ton of fresh seafood. I was scared it would break the bank since it was almost three pounds of mussels and a huge slab of barracuda, but I think the whole meal came to around 800 baht (including drinks).

We got a massage afterwards right next to Funky Fish, and it was terrible! I am not sure if they were connected with the restaurant or if they just happened to be located nearby. No reflection on the restaurant, but just a heads up to others.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth, Australia
“Best food on Lanta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

By far.....hubby is a chef (and sooo fussy) yet our highlight of Thailand is always the Funky Fish and just eating, drinking, our feet in the sand and watching the kids play on the beach.
Only downside is that each night we go to bed we are really, really full.....but that's what holidays are about. The whole deep fried fish with garlic, their larbs, curries etc. are great. Rice is always freshly cooked and in all the times we have been, have never had a bad meal.

• Visited December 2011