“Stunning resort on a beautiful island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pimalai Resort and Spa

You added Pimalai Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Pimalai Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   99 Moo 5, Ba Kan Tiang Beach, Ko Lanta 81150, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Ko Lanta
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning resort on a beautiful island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed at the Pimalai last December for one week. The resort is simply incredible.

We arranged to be picked up by the resort's bus and transferred by boat from Krabi. Although a touch expensive this is by far the most pleasurable and convenient way to get to the Pimalai (alternative taxi and boats can be booked separately at a lower price but I doubt the service and comfort would be anywhere near as spectacular).

The boat transfer was particularly magnificent as the luxurious speed boat takes an hour to sail through wonderful islands and a great stretch of blue sea. Arriving by boat has a definite wow factor as you get to the eco-friendly jetty (which is hilarious to negotiate as it wobbles like crazy) you are greeted by a beautiful sandy beach and the back drop of a wonderful rain-forest.

The staff on the ground then picks up your luggage which magically re-appears in your room after you have been welcomed by the wonderful receptionists, cooled down with scented towels and refreshed by a cold mocktail.

We stayed in a standard room and I highly recommend it. I normally try to stay in a slightly higher quality room if affordable (as it is a treat after all); in this instance that option wasn't available as the next room up was a villa and much more expensive than what we budgeted for.

In fact, apart from the beach villas, the standard rooms are actually the best as they are located in the bottom half of the resort so closer to the beach, restaurants and bars. The top of the resort has amazing views but felt a little bit cut off as you had to get a buggy to get you down to beach or any other amenities (including spa).

The standard rooms all have balconies and are very spacious, impeccably clean and very comfortable. Falling asleep to the sound of waves breaking on the shore is pure heaven!

Things I can recommend doing at the Pimalai:
Snorkelling Trip: I can't remember how expensive this was but it was worth every penny. The whole experience was incredible; the staff on the boat were amazing. It's a day trip and includes all food and drinks. It's an absolute must if you like snorkelling.

Spa: I had a massage and facial at the spa and it was rather lovely. The setting is really unusual as you have a little private hut in the jungle, my therapist was very good and the two hours I spent there were definitely the most relaxing I had.

Same Same: Not technically the Pimalai but a lovely restaurant next door accessible via the beach. Reasonably priced, brilliant food and cocktails but mostly amazing setting: right on the beach and kitted out like a Hawaiian tiki bar. Genius.

One note: if you are a bit of an insect-phobic like me fear not although surrounded by a Jurassic Park style jungle the grounds at the Pimalai are fumigated regularly so no real big buggers hiding anywhere in the under-growth.

I am not one for repeated experiences but I would definitely go back to the Pimalai albeit with a better boyfriend this time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kyle, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Visited Pimalai with my parents in July 2013 for 4 days. This was my first trip to Thailand, and Pimalai was the highlight of the trip. The resort was incredibly beautiful, our room was perfection itself. But what blew us away was the amazing hospitality of the staff. from the General manager, to the executive chef and the staff who attended us during meals and drove us around - every one went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and cared for.

Transfer: the transfer to and from Krabi airport was seamless. although the transfer price is a little steep (about 1900 baht per person each way), it was very well executed and I would recommend.

Check in and room: We were taken directly to our pool villa. A member of the staff was there to greet us with garlands, complete check-in formality and offer us welcome drinks. the villa sits high on the hills, with a magnificent view of the sea and the forest. the rooms were impeccable. a small pool separates the bedroom and living room. We spent most of our afternoons in the pool.

Breakfast and dining: we had breakfast at seven seas every day. the food was fresh and had a lot of variety. Specially enjoyed the Congee rice. the dinner at Rak Talai was amazing. We also had dinner at the seven seas restaurant - but it left us a little underwhelmed.

Staff: I cannot say enough about the amazing hospitality we experienced during our stay. the General manager was usually around during breakfast to chat with the guests. My mother had sore throat and I asked for hot water for her on the first day during breakfast. the next few days, even before sitting down, we were asked if we needed hot water - they also made a concoction of mint and ginger with hot water for my mother. the executive chef - Mr. Pook - asked after her several times, and even left cough drops for her at the restaurant. i fell down and scraped my knee. the driver drove us to our villa and came back a few minutes later with a first-aid kit - voluntarily.

Room Tip: Pool Villa.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at Pimalai in one of the Pool Villas with my wife and daughter end July 2013. It was an incredibly pleasant experience. The location is stunning and the accommodation excellent, but perhaps the best thing about Pimalai is the fantastic staff. From the General Manager, the Executive Chef to the staff who drove us around in the carts, every single person went much beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome and ensure our well being and comfort. Every step of our stay, from landing at Krabi for transfer to the resort, our stay itself and the transfer back to Krabi was seamless The buffet breakfast was something special. I have not seen such attention and service in a buffet breakfast anywhere else in the world. I must make special mention of the Executive Chef, who was always around to help us at meal times and who took the trouble of personally arranging medicines for my wife when she was a little unwell.

We visited Pimalai during what is called the lean season. I hope the same high standards are maintained during the busy season. Based on our own experience, Pimalai is a resort I recommend highly.

Room Tip: Pool Villas are perhaps best for families
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights, and was the best hotel in our Thai trip by far! Great place to lay at the beach, excellent installations, location.. and of course, the best hotel staff ever, kind and respetfull. We have a great time here. We totally recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Had the pleasure of staying at pimalai with my wife and 2 teenage children beautiful beach fantastic staff and a phenomenal breakfast it is a truly special place we arrived from Singapore pick up from Krabi was seamless short hop on the boat to Koh Lanta then a short bus trip to the resort all ran smoothly cant recommend thus hotel highly enough

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was our first trip to Pimalai in Koh Lanta. This year we are staying in 6 different resorts around Thailand as we have done for the previous 2 years. We have travelled as a party of 5 with two teenagers aged 17 and 19.

We have stayed in many quality 5* hotels around the world. From arrival at the Pimalai jetty, we were met and greeted by the private speedboat transfer staff who all showed warm hospitality and gave service with a smile. The speedboat was a 35 minute luxurious transfer.

Pimalai is built on a hillside from standard rooms to cliff top pool villas and  beach villas. The rooms were extremely clean and felt very comfortable. The service received from arrival to departure was impeccable by every member of staff throughout the day and night. They were  genuine, sincere and showed courteous hospitality for the duration of our stay.
The service was faultless unlike many of the other hotels we have stayed in. Nothing seemed to be a problem, every staff throughout the day and night greeted you. There was complimentary water and fresh fruit throughout the day on the beach and poolside given with a smile.
 In the evening restaurant, Kanna (our waitress) could not be more warm, caring  and helpful and this made my sons nut allergy so much less of a problem. She was professional, courteous and genuine with the service she provided.

If you are looking for a quiet, relaxed faultless vacation, service/standards - look no further as this hotel truly deserved it's title as "One of the small luxury hotels of the world" What more can I say but thank you to all the staff and especially Frank - the general manager, who was always floating around to ensure the guests are well looked after and welcomed. Only one disappointment, Frank could not provide a complimentary private jet we requested. Only joking! - he had a great sense of humour. (I hope)

All  hotels of the world - please take note and learn from Pimalai's leading footprint of the standards and customer service  all hotels should endeavour to attain, to achieve the ultimate goal " customer satisfaction" thank you all.

• Stayed July 2013
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is without a doubt the finest place I ever stayed at in Thailand ( and I stayed at quite a few places in my time). The location is just too much : absolutely by the beach, no streetnoise, no tour groups crowding the area. Beautiful resort layout, luxurious room. We'd also like to thank the team at Andaman Sky who recommended this resort – we had never heard of it. We wouldn’t have been able to stay at Pimalai if it wasn’t for their special deal on prices. We recommend the front row Pavillion Suites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pimalai Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!