“Quality, peace and smiley faces” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pimalai Resort and Spa

You added Pimalai Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Pimalai Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   99 Moo 5, Ba Kan Tiang Beach, Ko Lanta 81150, Thailand   |
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Ko Lanta
London, United Kingdom
“Quality, peace and smiley faces”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I returned from Pimalai last week at the end of a three week Thailand trip and I must say it was absolutely delightful. We had a week there and will definitely be returning for two next year.
The arrival transfer went very smoothly with a seamless boat launch making it a little special.
We had a gorgeous beach villa with a lovely glass pavilion The sound of the sea in the morning was hypnotic and made you not want get up, until you remembered the fantastic breakfast waiting!
We had a couples spa and loved it. Real back to nature stuff. I've never been so relaxed in my life!
The service at this resort was absolutely top notch and lovely smiley faces were evident everywhere. This place is run like a very well oiled machine.
Food was delicious in all the restaurants and also in the funky little beach bars at both ends of the beach.
Reading back this review it sounds a little gushing but if anything I haven't gushed enough!!
I cannot recommend this place highly enough and can see my wife and I being regulars.

Room Tip: Beach or as near to beach as possible
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
BANGKOK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked to go with my sister and friend as a treat. We stayed in one of the cheapest rooms at around $300. I have to say the room was very nice but not worth $300 dollars. The resort was incredible though.
If you have money to spend stay in one of the places over looking the beach or on beach. Or the incredible looking villas. Ours was unfortunately 3 rows away from the beach so we had no view at all.

Positives

The grounds are immaculate.
Pools- out of this world
Wonderful breakfast
Very comfortable bed
Service by pool excellent bringing water, fruit and towels
The toiletries were pleasant
Beach is beautiful
Lovely restaurant near by on beach
The restaurant had lovely food at a cost but it had NO atmosphere at all and they even switched the enchanting pool lights off during our meal.
The beach beds
fab for honeymoon

Negatives

The staff at reception in were not overly warming at any point during the stay.
I felt that because we were in the cheapest room that we were looked down on almost.
They do not do a golf cart pick up from your room.
When we booked the golf cart to take us to the restaurant and then walked up to the reception to get the lift we had to wait 15 minutes.
A bit of a walk to get around
It seemed empty during our stay (Thai holiday season)
A letter that was left to ensure that we check out on time and depart and check out at 11.30 even though check out was at 12pm.
We asked for late checkout and they came to pick us up 30 minutes early and actually took the bags. I thought it seemed very unlikely anyone would be staying in our room as there were many and ours was not the nicest if the cheapest rooms.
Pool closes at 7PM!!

MOST ANNOYING THING we left our books, snacks and water bottles by the pool when we went down to the beach for a drink about 6pm. When we got back at 6.45pm everything was gone and so were the staff. I assumed they must have taken our things to our room as any place would do or have taken to the reception. I called reception when we got back to the room and they called the pool staff but said there was no answer. The receptionist even had the cheek to say that because i called so late the staff were off duty but when we had been at the pool by 6.45pm. I had to wait until the next day until we could get back my things because the pool office was apparently closed. It may seem small but this really really annoyed me when it really did cost me so much money and there just want any courteousness.

Overall as you can see it was a mixed experience. I was told before i went it was not worth the money but but I wanted a really special treat and it certainly was as we really enjoyed the pool facilities and the sun downer cocktail on the beach beds. However I had a constant niggling that it really want worth nearly $300 and after living in Thailand for 4 years the staff were some of the least friendly and warm. I have stayed a $30 places where the staff seemed more welcoming.

Room Tip: I would look on a map of the rooms before you book!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Pimalai Beach resort near Krabbe in Thailand three years ago. We took a flight from Bangkok to Krabbe where the hotel car was waiting for us. It was a 30 mts car drive followed by a wonderfully scenic speedboat ride. Another hotel taxi was waiting for us on the other side to take us to the resort. Although we had already spent close to 15 hours since we left home, the efficient transfer arrangements of the hotel combined with the absolutely magnificent scenic motorboat ride made our travel a beautiful experience. We had a room overlooking the sea and it was so beautiful, so tranquil and so relaxing. We could hear the sound of the water when we opened the door to the balcony and this satisfies a primordial instinct which only the oceans and the hills can! There are three restaurants which offer a variety of cuisine. We had a great four days in this resort and would love to go back there soon.

Room Tip: Overlooking the ocean and close to the water.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were collected from the airport and taken to the hotels private jetty were we boarded the hotels private speed boat. The driver said would you like to go the quickest or the most beautiful?? We opted for the beautiful and by god do we choose right, we were taken through the most breathtaking limestone valley......we literally didn't say anything for the first 20 mins as we were speechless how beautiful it was.
When we arrived at Pimalai we had booked a superior room, however the private villas right on beach were so lovely that we decided to upgrade......well worth the money as its a real treat and right on the beach with you own private terrace, where during the day they bring you round frozen towels and pieces of fruit.
At night we didn't eat at the hotel, instead we chose to walk along the beach to where there were a couple of restaurants, we chose one which had a boat full of fish and prawns, were you bought what you liked and then they BBQ it for you, with a couple of glasses of wine and bottles of beer it worked out about £20 each
It's an amazing hotel in the most stunning natural location and very romantic

Room Tip: Private villa on the beach
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Olbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to Pimalai as part of a tour of Thailand for our honeymoon
we stayed at the lower part of the resort, closer to the beach and we were very happy with the room we had very spacious and with a nice flat l cd TV.
The Spa is the best I have ever seen and the therapist are really professional, although I had some trouble to find a day available for booking.
The beach is a very long stretch of clean sand and it felt as it was our private beach as very few people were there.The sea, however, is not so impressive in term of clarity of the water
We tried all the restaurants: the one on the beach had amazingly friendly staff an a more relaxed atmosphere than the one on the hill, which was very elegant and with amazing food!
a special mention goes to the Italian manager Mirko, who helped us out of some trouble we had with the hotel where we had stayed before. Also he was also wearing an amazing smile and seems to be everywhere in the hotel.
Also very kind and professional were the girls at breakfast, particularly Yin? and Gao?
Only small troubles we had it with the transfer to the hotel, but the resort made it up and went forgotten quickly. We would definitely recommend it and hope to go there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Don't bother looking further if you're looking for the best hotel on Koh Lanta, the Pimalai is it.

I'm not going to list the good things about the hotel (it's just great), but here are the negatives:
- the food & beverages prices are a rip-off. There isn't much around either and the few restaurants available have somewhat adjusted to the Pimalai and are also charging around 50% more than similar restaurants in the rest of Thailand.
- the S in SLH stands for "small". There is nothing small about the Pimalai, I think they've split the resort in 2 with a total of 140 rooms.

Breakfast is also something really special.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Planes, buses and boats......but worth the effort to get to. A stunning location. The staff are friendly (the spa's head honcho lady a bit of a dragon, but means no harm!)
Stayed in a hillside villa. Was incredible accommodation, secluded and everything thought out to make the stay enjoyable. Food was lovely and amazingly good value, and of course you have the freedom to wander to neighbouring establishments.
The only disappointment was the main restaurant, which was not living up to its supposed reputation, just not up to the spec of a luxury hotel...(a surprise give the GM is French!) We only ate there the once, so maybe it was a one off. I'd go back again

Room Tip: The hillside villas are stunning....ask for one that you can see the sunset from. They are set up in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pimalai Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!