“The epitome of a perfect boutique hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars

Costa Lanta
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   M1.Saladan,Krabi, 22, Ko Lanta 81150, Thailand   |
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Paris
“The epitome of a perfect boutique hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

An adept at luxury boutique hotels around the world, I recently met up with an intimate group of friends from around the world for a weeklong stay at Costa Lanta. The experience was far above and beyond expectations, and among the best of any I've ever had.

SERVICE
To begin with, unbelievable service, full stop. To put this into perspective, I was arriving from a weekend stay at the Sukhothai in Bangkok (one of the finest 5 star hotels in the capital), and the level of service at Costa Lanta was right on par with that of a much larger palace hotel.

We were personally (and warmly) welcomed by the owner, Kasira, her partner, and their lovely beagle Junior. Our room had been upgraded, and were personally escorted to our room and a tour of the site. This I would stay is standard for a boutique resort. But what followed was above and beyond expectations:
1/ I had arrived with a severe sunburn from my previous week in Thailand. Before even settling in, the owner personally contacted a local dermatologist of obtain prescription creams to instantly relieve the pain and ease the experience.
2/ We were staying with friends for my birthday celebration, and she had organized a surprise dinner party for us on a private section of the beach, with stellar service and a personalized birthday cake
3/ Several bicycles were at our entire disposal to explore the island on our own and fully experience the breathtaking landscapes
4/ The staff had happily organized several additional services including private massages outdoors overlooking the sea, personal training sessions at the local thai boxing center, and diving and snorkling trips with door-to-door pick up service by boat
5/ The restaurant staff is unbelievably accommodating, always remembering the personal tastes and preferences of guests, and ensuring that they are always properly taken care of
6/ The food at the Costa Lanta restaurant is by far the best on the island, confirming what I had read previously before arriving

LOCATION
Costa Lanta is located on why I would consider the most beatiful beach on the island (I visited them all). They are totally isolated (set away from the typical tourist crowds), yet within walking distance of the town center, and nearby bars and restaurants.

THE SPACE
Simply Beathtaking.
Unbelievable designed individual bungalows, yet extremely comfortable and user friendly.
Beautifully landscaped grounds, with lush gardens, a winding stream, and private beach. One of the best swimming pools I've yet to see at a boutique hotel (and huge - at least 25 meters long - the photos don't do it justice).
An amazing restaurant, with relaxing music, games on hand, and extremely friendly staff. And all of this in a spirit of durable development, environmentally friendly, with with a feeling of being full embedded in nature, yet with all modern amenities and conveniences.

THE ROOMS
Oversized kingsized beds, rooms are cleaned and set twice a day, sprayed for bugs at night before the mosquito nets are let down, the bathrooms are oversized with rain showers, the materials used are both modern (concrete, teak wood, neutral colors) yet cozy, the walls fold back, allowing you to take rejuvenating naps in your bed, while in nature at the same time.

For anyone looking for an amazing boutique or luxury hotel experience in Koh Lanta, do not hesitate one second. I visited several of the others on the island for lunch or drinks, I had zero regrets and was always so glad to return to Costa Lanta at the end of the day.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We caught up with 3 friends at Costa Lanta for a few days. We were attracted by the design excellence and 100% Thai concept. The experience went beyond expectations thanks to the very personalized service we enjoyed, making us feel home. The bikes available at reception enabled us to go up and down the 40km of the west and east coast of the island, discovering the old town and the local villages. We tried many restaurants and by far Costa Lanta had the best food on the island. The hotel owner organized a special birthday dinner for us on the beach... unforgettable memory. The bar tender took us to a typical Thai boxing night where we had a great time. The location was also perfect to be close to the diving centres and be picked up at a decent time in the morning to go to Hin Daeng! At the same, it is remote enough for you to feel in a private place where you can find peace and relaxation.
Cheers,
Christophe

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Set along the beach of the tranquil island of Koh Lanta lies 22 cubic structures. At a glance, these cubes look like empty wooden boxes being randomly left in the area. Upon closer inspection, one will realize that there is more then meets the eye.

Two sides of the "box" are wooden panels that can unfold to reveal a self-contained stylish lodge. Understanding a city dweller's need to escape from it all & yet be able to enjoy the convenience of modern-day amenities, each lodge is complete with fluffy duvet & air conditioner, bringing urban dwellers like myself, close to nature without compromising comfort. Aptly bringing across the resort's concept – "an equation between urban comfort & the desire to escape from it".

While it's wooden exterior blends perfectly with it's natural surroundings, it's minimalist concrete interior exudes urban-chic. A member of Design Hotels, Costa Lanta is simple yet contemporary.

To me, Costa Lanta is all about the perfect balance between nature & the urban lifestyle, & finding balance within ourselves.

For photos, click

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My wife likes modern and clean hotels, I like small basic bungalows with lots of nature. Costa Lanta is a brilliant balance between them both keeping us both extremely happy. I was worried about that the industrial design would be too harsh for a beach environment but it was very well integrated into the surroundings and really does work. The bedroom's two walls are actually massive sliding doors which you can open completely up. The bathrooms is roofed, with slated wooden walls that are basically open to the outside. Under the roof is a white sail, which catches the sun and creates the most amazing natural lighting in the bathroom. The shower has a rain shower head, which of course is gentle and natural. We were upgraded to a seaview villa, which is closer to the restaurant and pool. Not really a sea view, but all the villas are way back from the beach so you get to see the beautiful and immaculately kept resort's grounds. We were due to stay for 3 days, but extended for 8 as we were so happy with the peace and beauty of the resort. We were also lucky enough to have the resort completely to ourselves for 5 of those days. The entire stay was perfect, and we didn't have a single complaint.

The restaurant/bar is keeping with the resort theme is amazingly designed. For breakfast you have 6 options, one being a delicious fruit muesli which is a refreshing change in islands resorts. Coffee and fresh juice is constantly topped up. It was so nice not having to deal with a buffet. The restaurant has a surprisingly fast wifi considering the remote location. We were able to keep up with work during breakfast in a spectacular setting, which didn't make it feel like working at all.

I hate eating all my meals in the hotel, so we explored the local town restaurants, but the couple of meals we had in the Costa Lanta restaurant were definitely highlights (including out meals in Bangkok). Beautifully presented, fresh modern twists on Thai classics. Yeah, it is a bit pricey (especially with the 17% tax) but upon review it was actually comparable with many of the places we found outside which weren't half as good.

The pool. I LOVE THIS POOL. ooooooh. This my dream pool. I'm so sick of curving, shallow resort hotel pools that are primarily designed so people have direct access to the bar with out having to get out of the pool. Costa Lanta's pool is designed for swimming. It is long and sleek, and has over run walls, which keeps the surface water perfectly glassy and makes swimming in it positively dreamy.

We checked out a lot of the other resorts on the same beach, and just came back feeling self satisfied that we were in the best hotel on this beach by far. The others are either block hotels, or cheesy bamboo, thatched roof bangalows all squashed together. The few tourists we did see walking by on the beach all seemed to peer in enviously of the starkly different Costa Lanta. The main difference in Costa Lanta though is the space. If this were another hotel they would have jammed 2 or 3 times more rooms into the same space.

Even though we were the only guests, the grounds were immaculately swept of all leaves every day. Staff were very quiet and reserved, which was fine. We wanted our space. We had no language difficulties. The manager was excellent and was always very helpful with taxis and the hotels complimentary bicycles. She even organised a surprise birthday cake for me as my birthday was during our stay. We used the massage service on the hotel and she was excellent. Extremely professional and well trained.

A note about the bad reviews: I think many of the people who have reviewed this hotel badly did so because they had the wrong expectations. This is a hotel that is built around nature, encompasses it and is in harmony with it. They built it over a natural lagoon, which has been left in its natural state. The rooms are built back from the beach to avoid erosion and damage to the beach front. The rooms are open plan. If you want a completely sealed room, nature to be artificially controlled and kept away from you, then this is not the place for you, go to a 5 star resort.

Mosquitoes - We personally had zero trouble with them at all (surprisingly too, as I got eaten in Bangkok). The resort has a nightly turn down service, where they set up a full mosquito net to cover your bed, and lightly spray in case you already have any in your room. This is more than enough to control any that may have entered your room. You are in SE Asia, if bugs that much of a problem for you, stay at home.

Some people in these reviews complain that the rooms are in poor condition, and it is true that there is a little bit of wear showing. Once again, these are open rooms and nature comes in. I thought the small wear helped offset the starkness of of the concrete design and gave more warmth in the rooms. None of it effected functionality.

Overall, we both had a perfect stay in Costa Lanta. We felt it was a very unique and special resort and really fulfilled exactly the type of holiday we were looking for. It is green, peaceful, and professionally run. For couples looking to refresh themselves, relax and soak up the atmosphere, I think it's amazing. I will definitely be back, especially in the off season.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Was such a so terrible experience, i got the details and pictures of this resort though magazines and look so spectacular and interesting concept

I love those nice simple and functional hotels and resorts or those minimalist design.

What a pity in this resort, first of all, i contacted by the phone the resort 3 times prior arrival to know if we can had a extra bed in the room, no one was able to speak a single world of english, just the basic one...

Everything was buil don the more cheapest way and the material after a few years are in a poor condition, while there is no maintenance.

The food is great, they really have a good chef

The garden is lovely but full of mosquitoes, terrible

That was a nice place the first year, no days forget it for sure

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

it was my first to ever attempt an island which is not as logistically inclined as compared to many commercial islands in the likes of Phuket / Koh Samui. but let me say this is the best kept secret in Thailand! i'm intrigued with the culture of the people in this island. the experience with getting there was amazing. 2 flights a road ride and 2 ferry rides to get me to this beautiful! one which is not as " man made" as the rest of it and that the beauty of it!i'm sure this place has suffered a great deal during the Tsunami. we were greeted by the manager " Ben Ju Wan" she's an amazing woman with a great team of pple who she continues to train during the non peak season. the place compared to the rest of the resort is always kept in order. i wouldn't use the word clean if that means dead leaves lying on everywhere! to me, it's nature and that didn't bother me at all! the locals are rather shy. it's true english is not their best language but i didn't have a problem conversing with them even with my min. Thai. i'm more than happy for the fact that, they will take time to understand ur needs and if they don't get you, they will have u to speak to the manager. so in terms of that.. i like the fact that this architecturally sound resort comprises of all elements in the right spot . u got the most amazing beach which the team cleans up each morning , fresh air.. def. the blazing sun and luscious greens! all in one! the concept of concrete blocks around it provides a rustic feel to one! the food there is amazing. i enjoyed every breakfast moments! the banana pancakes are amazing.. i've been in many infinity pools and rain showers in huge resorts but these features are used appropriately ! u will know why when u get there. i'm in transportation and my gf is in architecture.. so for us .. this is the most ideal place. for me to be able to have a chance to be on a car ferry ride and knowing despite the " outback" just in time service exist in this island. and recycled timbre with a concept of rustic but yet modern style.. no wonder it's featured in one of the famous archi / resort magazines! i went back to bkk and met a friend whose parents are from lanta. this comes from a local... lanta is prob. one of the best island which i can still call it home! if u like the outback and outdoor as we did alot of dirt track biking to the main road where the main shops are.. this is the right place to be. and right after that a spa massage by the beach organized by Ben Ju Wan.. will u complain even if the internet service via satellite keeps breaking off? i might some amazing locals there and every afternoon when we rode out, we are always greeted with a smile and a wave. so most of the time, we supported the locals with our lunches and lil snacks we had to buy. will u complain if u see mossies and dragonflies in the room? once i'm done with my day and taking a hot shower with the sound of the waves and birds are chirping.. i rest my case! this place is a place for a retreat u can hardly find these days! a showcase to the great architects and logisticians.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My partner & I stayed at Costa Lanta for a week following 3 weeks of trekking & kayaking in Thailand. The place is absolutely beautiful & the staff were superb. There was nothing that was too much trouble. Infortunately for the resort but fortunately for us, there were only about 2 other rooms occupied. It was like staying at our own resort.

The resort was at the quiet end away from the hordes of families & noise. Very few people even walked by our resort, which suited us fine. We basically had the place to ourselves. The architecture was out of this world. The pool was amazing.

Also the restaurant was fabulous. The included breakfast was lovely & we had lunch there several times & it was always delicious. They also went out of their way to satisy our dietary reuqirements. Language was rarely a problem & if it was, they would bring someone else over to help us out.

Our only complaint was that we asked for a courtesy upgrade. Considering the resort was mostly empty, and considering that we had paid a premium due to booking so far in advance, we thought it would have been easy for them to satisy our request. It wouldn't have cost them anything extra.

• Stayed January 2009

Been to Costa Lanta? Share your experiences!