“Amazing Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Ko Lanta
San Diego, California
“Amazing Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Houben is a chic boutique hotel with a million dollar view. We asked for the top floor and our wish was granted. The view from the balcony rendered me speechless. It was the perfect place to sip our cappuccino in the morning and watch the sunset at night. Although we loved the top floor, I would not recommend it for everyone. I would consider a lower level if you don't like to climb stairs. Speaking of view, our deluxe room came with a jacuzzi and it also has an ocean view. The only down side is that it takes over an hour to fill so we only used it once.

As you can see from the photos, the design is modern chic with a touch of Thai. This was exactly what we were looking for. Thai inspired decor with modern/western amenities. Every details have been thought of; from beach bag to hanging rack for your wet clothes. Nothing has been overlooked.

The design and layout of the room was extremely thoughtful. The material and products used are of high quality. I am extremely picky when it comes to beddings and I was more than satisfied. I usually use my own shampoo and body wash but not this time. The organic rice toiletries were heavenly.

Service was excellent. You can tell they really want your stay to be perfect. For example, the wifi signal was a bit weak on the top floor so Shana resolved the issue by installing an individual modem in our room. How awesome is that?

We paid for the Room Only plan (without breakfast) as we like to try different restaurants. It was 300 THB per person for breakfast if we wanted to join. We opted not to as it was much cheaper to eat elsewhere and we were out and about almost every morning. Drunken Sailor is a great option but they do not open until 9am. In general, the hotel restaurant is much more expensive than the local ones.

We asked the hotel to book us a shared shuttle minivan (provided by an outsourced company) from Krabi Airport and it was 500 THB per person one way. Please note, there is a markup for this service. It is generally 350 THB per person one way if you were to book it yourself. Given the convenience, I thought it was a reasonable markup. Private transfer from the hotel was 3000 THB for 2 people and you can generally get it for 2300 THB locally. Similarly, if you want to rent a motorbike, it is 350 THB per day with the hotel and 250 THB per day if you rented from an outside vendor. As expected, pretty much everything has a markup.

For those considering the minivan option, the following has been my experience. We waited for 50 minutes before we were picked up at the airport (only after a kind local gentleman helped me call the hotel so they can track down the minivan company). After we made the call, we were picked up within 15-20 minutes. The driver was an aggressive driver (not a complain) and got us dropped off within 2 hours after pickup. Amazing! To be honest, the wait before the pickup was a bit irritating after 33 hours of traveling but that's just how it is if you go with this option.

Like a few reviewers have mentioned, there are some wear and tear at the hotel but nothing major. For example, the walls did have some small chips here and there but this is to be expected given the proximity to the salt water and the humidity in the bathroom. I did notice there were moss growing in one corner of my shower but other than that the room was spotless.

My only wish would be that the jacuzzi connecting to the swimming pool would be heated. I guess the unheated jacuzzi is pretty much the standard in Thailand.

All in all, it was a lovely 5 night stay. I only wish it wasn't 36 hours to get to. Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to stay here on our next trip, as children under 12 are not permitted. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want screaming children running around when I'm trying to enjoy my peace and quiet.

The Houben truly is a rare find. You will definitely not regret staying here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Absolutely the best hotel ever, they just need to open a few more all over the world and we would never have to research hotels again! My husband and I visited this hotel in July and it was just perfect, I could not fault it in anyway. Shana, her Father and the team were brilliant. The food in the hotel was soo nice that I didn't want to eat anywhere else. I have stayed in a good few hotels all over the world and I honestly have to say this was the best by a long shot and very reasonability priced! I think the reviews speak for themselves.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The houben was absolutely perfect for us and would suit any travellers who want to get away from it all. It's a small hotel which gives it a lovely warm and personal feel. There are about 14 rooms, all of which look onto the pool and in turn the sea. The sunset views are amazing. The Houben is on a hill so no direct access to the beach however it's only about a 5 minute walk to bantiang bay which is a beautiful long stretch of unspoilt, quiet beach. There are some shops close by and restaurant options. There's a spa on site but also some spas in the village for those on a tighter budget. The rooms were spacious...Ours was on the ground floor which I would recommend you request if possible as it had sliding doors leading directly out to the pool and bean bags outside if you wanted to be near the pool but sit in the shade. The red alert restaurant was great for an evening meal, and breakfast was lovely. The manager there has great English and was so friendly. We were going to choose another, more expensive and better rated (on trip advisor) hotel in the area but so so glad we chose this. There is a policy of no kids so not suitable for families but if you're looking to get away and chill out, this is the place to go.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had selected this hotel on the basis of reviews from TripAdvisor & I'm glad I did that. From the 1st interaction I knew this hotel was what I was looking for. All my queries were answered very swiftly and precisely via email.
I had asked the hotel to book a transport to pick us up from Krabi airport. It took about 3 hours to reach. The ride was extremely comfortable and the 3 hours went faster than expected.
Check-in was quick and we were greeted with cold towels and a welcome drink.
From the get go the energy & warmth of Shanna & her team won us over.
Before we could finish the drink, our luggage had already reached our room.
The hotel is is located on a cliff hence the view from every room is great. The view of the sunset was simply breath-taking. We had requested for a (deluxe) room on the top floor and it was given to us. It came with a Jacuzzi. I had booked the stay under a special TripAdvisor offer of “staying for 5 nights and paying for 4.”
The bed was very nicely decorated and the room was very spacious.
The room comes equipped with umbrellas, flashlights, etc apart from the usual items such as hair dryers, toiletries. If you like coffee then you’re in for a treat as the room comes with a coffee machine as well.
The breakfast spread was good and was to order (not buffet system). Wifi was available as well. Special mention to the chef’s special (dinner) - the “Australian tenderloin” which was finger-licking-good. Also, the signature drink “Red Alert”, which shares the same name as the restaurant’s, is not to be missed.
The swimming pool is awesome and is one of the best features of the hotel.
If you want to sun-bathe, read a book, or just relax, then you can do so next to the pool.
The hotel has only 15 rooms. This ensures maximum privacy. I would recommend that if you want a place to relax and rejuvenate, then look no further. Highly recommend for “Honeymooners” ;)
The location of the hotel is good. Located close to the hotel you will find some massage parlours (special mention to one called “Arista”), a 7/11, atms, money exchange, chemist shop, and lots of restaurants.
The beach is also easily accessible and is at a walking distance. If you want to explore the island, then the best way to go about is to rent (automatic) motorbikes from the hotel itself for a very reasonable rate.
There are also plenty of activites to choose from. This is listed in their website, as well as in each room. You can also rent DVDs or books from the reception.
Whenever I go to Krabi next, Houben will be my first choice.

Room Tip: The top floor have the best view. If money is not an issue, then go for the villas. However, you can...
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This really was a unique experience. We stayed at the Houben for 4 nights(2 in delux and 2 in suit) for our last leg of the Honeymoon.
As has been said a million times but still shud be reiterated" Shana and her team is the soul of this place" . Lets go one by one:
Pros:
View: Stunning, mesmerizing, incredible...falling short of words!!!
Service: World class, personalised to every possible detail
Pool and the sunset: this in itself is sufficient to book this hotel.
Room: big, chick, cool, attention to detail, jacuzi ...couldnt ask for more

Cons; Koh lanta is simply too quiet to enjoy anything adventurous on the island.

Koh lanta is a fantastic place to make trips to the Koh Rok, Phi Phi and the four islands. Koh Rok is stunning and the beach at Koh Rok is one of the best I have ever seen.
There is sunset viewpoint about 2 kms from Houben close to the Pimalai resort. I would recommend do pay a vist at around 5pm...it really is mesmerising
All in all a must go place....but if u are looking for adventure book it for max 4 nights

Room Tip: top floor room has the finest views...but if u get the suit nothing like it!!!
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a fantastic property built on one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. After a long drive from the airport we were pleasantly surprised to come to a green, rather quiet and peaceful part of Lanta, where the Hotel built on a cliff has a wonderful view of the sea. The multi coloured sunsets are spectacular whether you see them from the unique red infinity pool, or from a room balcony or your private Jacuzzi. You also come out of your room to see lush green hills. While you have good facilities and services, you also get a cosy feeling in this boutique hotel. The rooms are comfortable and very tastefully done, small things like organic rice soap, interesting furniture or cool paintings in the rooms, partly showcase the great amount of detailing and effort that has gone into creating this lovely habitat. We spent a lot of time at the hotel initially, then over the next few days visited the nearby village, went to 3 great beaches all quite close, also did 2 days of scuba diving and spent evening visiting a nearby bar that has live music or dinners at some local restaurants. Our host Shana and her team did a great job attending to all our requirements. Wish we had stayed longer, will definitely go back there as there's so much more to do and experience.

Wollongong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We recently stayed for 4 nights at The Houben. This boutique hotel was a delight, not only in the well appointed rooms, the food and the best of service that we have had in a hotel in ...ever! We arrived both unwell, and throughout our stay the staff extended every courtesy to ensure that we felt 'cared for'. Thank you! The food was excellent, and would highly recommend 'eating in'. The limited amount of rooms available, and the added bonus of no screaming children running around the pool made The Houben a sanctuary for us as a 'couple' on holiday. Down side is Koh Lanta itself can be a little boring, so don't expect much. Just chill at The Houben and enjoy the view!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Houben? Share your experiences!