“What a great place!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“What a great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Based on the reviews on Tripadvisor I chose this place to spend some time while in Lanta and I liked it so much I extended my trip with 3 more days.
Everything was so well organized, from pick-up at the pier, trips being booked through Yuko, the owner, to recommendations where to go or eat.
There are many restaurants, shops, massage places and of course the beach all within walking distance. Because of the location it also provides a quiet sleep, away from some beachparties at night with some loud music. All rooms or bungalows are located in a lush garden with a swimming pool, very relaxing. They also have DVD's in case you would like to watch a movie.
Yuko and her staff made my stay so personal and easy I decided to stay longer and book a day trip to the surrounding islands of Koh Kradan and Koh Ngai.
While being on the island make sure to rent a scooter and explore some of the other beautiful beaches Lanta has to offer. Bamboo Bay and Ao Nui are quiet, with crystal clear water and not that many people. The day trip to Koh Rok was one of my highlights as a day trip. Never have I seen such a beautiful beach with clear blue water, amazing!
The 4 island trip to Koh Ngai and the Emerald Cave was nice even though the Emerald Cave was packed with many people. If you go there make sure to be there early in the morning. Both trips can be booked through Yuko for a reasonable price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
George Town, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

This is a very small resort set around a very small pool, at half the price we paid it would have been a decent choice however for what we paid I expected more like for example shower gel, shampoo etc. in the bathroom. There was only a small piece of soap. The rooms are indeed clean but very spartan fitted, except for a rack behind a curtain no place to hang clothes.

At 8:45 after breakfast on the morning we were departing we found housekeeping preparing the room for the next occupants (who were already hovering outside), we didn't check out yet and still had the key, check out is at 11:00 AM. We left with the unpleasant feeling, we felt chased off.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Escape Cabins have a number of room types and the one I stayed in had apparently somehow been operated as a separate business but has now been integrated into the Escape Cabins business. These rooms have been called "Sino" rooms in keeping with each room type having a unique name, and they directly abut the main Escape Cabins property. Basically you just walk across the driveway and through the gate into the pool area. This was fine by me and I didn't feel like I was staying at a seperate property.
Yuko runs the show at Escape Cabins quite well. She is responsive to email correspondence and reservations requests, and understands the needs of tourists by providing clean and comfortable accommodation. She and her staff are helpful on site, and her welcoming but unintrusive nature helped to make my stay all the more pleasant.
The cabin I stayed in had a comfortable King size bed which was a true King Size. I was glad that the bed had a clean doona to sleep under, rather than the usual mess of blankets and sheets tucked in with hospital corners that are impossible to sleep under - something I tend to more commonly encounter in my travels.
Rooms were cleaned daily however I was surprised that new soap wasn't provided daily, and there was a day when my towels weren't replaced with clean ones. I was also surprised that a hairdryer wasn't included as part of the in-room amenities.
Perhaps funnily, the in-room safe wasn't bolted down to anything. I guess if you saw someone walking out of a room with a safe under their arm you'd notice and say something!! And either way I felt safe at the property and also felt my belongings were safe there.
There was a good selection of Satellite TV channels - not all my favourites, but certainly enough to keep me amused at night.
I also appreciated that the window blinds/curtains in my cabin blocked the sunlight out well, although there were no sheer curtains so having the curtains drawn made me feel exposed to anyone passing by.
The swimming pool at Escape Cabins was pleasant, not huge, and not deep enough at any point to cover my whole body if I'm standing up. I'd say it was just big enough to be able to do laps - from memory if I had to estimate it was about 10-12 metres in length.
Upon arrival it was explained to us that the water may run out on occasion, in which case it would be necessary to wait about 30-40 minutes until supply resumed. This happened once during my 5 day stay, naturally at a most inopportune moment when I was under the shower! Nonetheless it did resume as stated, and the only reason I could figure out for this was that the property seems to be on tank water, with some sort of pumping system in place to fill up the tanks. The pumps must only get triggered when the system is completely empty which was a little disappointing.
It was also explained to us that the electricity supply was unstable, so if the power went out we shouldn't worry. Unfortunately there was no backup generator when this happened a couple of times during my stay. I guess it's tolerable, but it was still a little frustrating as it caused the internet to stop working, as well as the air conditioning and television. I wondered about how widespread such outages might be. They weren't frequent during my stay, but did happen a couple of times.
Breakfasts are served at Krua Kritsana restaurant on the main road, about a 4 minute leisurely walk away. These were OK, some meals were a good size while others seemed a bit inadequate. I had the "vege set" on one occasion which was supposed to have 2 eggs but it looked more like 1 scrambled egg, or one and a half at best. The lady working there was obviously not a morning person, as the vibe I got from her wasn't the most pleasant, yet at night when I passed by she was rather amicable. I guess if I had to work 14 hour days I wouldn't be smiling all the time either.
I also managed to hire a motorcycle at the Thai Orchid restaurant, which seems somehow attached to the Krua Kritsana restaurant, for 200 Baht per day. Hiring through the accommodation would have cost me 300 Baht per day.
The area surrounding the cabins along the main road has a few dining options, but not that many, and you're certainly better spoilt for choice if you head into Klong Dao beach or to Saladan town itself. I had what I thought was a lovely meal of BBQ King Tiger Prawns one night at Saladan Seafood, after which I had a gastro bug which took me a week to recover from.
Incidentally if anyone is looking for the Ko Lanta Post Office, it's a few hundred metres south along the main road from the turnoff into Escape Cabins. When I asked some locals in town where the local post office was, nobody seemed to know, with some believing there wasn't an official post office on the island!
My stay at Escape Cabins was pleasant, and worthwhile. In my travels around the island I noticed a lot of hotels and other accommodations that looked rather tired or run down (not everywhere, but there were quite a few), but Escape Cabins was new, well kept, and provided almost everything I needed for a relaxing stay. It was in a quiet spot, about 10 minutes walk to the beach, and although a little expensive by Thai standards in general, it was good value for money in terms of what was available on Ko Lanta. If you're not fussed about a beachfront location and prefer a more quiet, boutique property, then consider here, and book well in advance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nainital, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

stayed there in jan 2014 as a family with young kids,enjoyed every bit of our stay,the owner yuko was very helpful and always there to listen to us,location is excellent,rooms are good with everything you may need for your stay.....overall a very nice experience,will definitely stay there again on second visit to ko lanta.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed 6 nights at Escape-Cabins and loved every second of it! Our comfort room was spacious and clean and the location of the cabins was perfect, just a stroll away from Long beach. We would go to the beach in the morning and come back to enjoy the pool (and the shade on our terrace) in the afternoon. The breakfast was included in the price of our room but it was served in a restaurant on the main road. We went there 3 times but the other days we preferred to have breakfast on the beach (at Thai Cat) as it was far more pleasant. Yuko, the owner, was very helpful and arranged everything for us: shuttle from Krabi airport and scooter rental. She also recommended good restaurants: Krua Kritsana just across the road and Papa's in Saladan. At both places we ate delicious Thai food. Be sure to ride your scooter to Klong Nin beach to have a drink watching the sunset!

Room Tip: If you are planning to stay longer than a week, ask for a room with a kitchenette as it might be use...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We spent 4 nights here in January and after 5 weeks travelling and sight seeing it was lovely to have a place to relax in the sun. Finally time to chill and read a book. Yuko had arranged our pick up from Krabi airport, our transfer later in the week out to Koh Ngai and then back again for our return to the airport. Our cabin had a small kitchen so our rate didn't include breakfast but we were able to buy tokens to use at the restaurant down the road. The beach was a short stroll away and there were plenty of places to eat. Highly recommended for a relaxing place to stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at this fantastic escape bungalow, very convenient located just 10 minutes walk from Long Beach, Ko Lanta and situated in a very quiet area. We loved the green surrounding, high-speed WIFI and clean environment. The service provided was very good and helpful. We would definitely come back. The only thing I missed is a better breakfast option with more fruity and delicious thai food, very poor!

Room Tip: Every room is fine and looking towards the swimming pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Escape-Cabins? Share your experiences!