“Oasis of calm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 82 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Stockholm, Sweden
“Oasis of calm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Ko Lanta marked the end of my Thailand vacation, and what a lovely stay it was. I was partied out honestly from my stay in Krabi and Ko Tao and frankly just needed a place where I could completely relax and re-energise myself. Amantra was perfect for this. This is beach front resort, all rooms don't face the beach so be sure of the one you're booking. I had booked and specified this much in advance so there was really no scope for misunderstanding. When I got there I was welcomed by a cool and refreshing welcome drink by the staff at the resort. My room was lovely- it was big, beautifully done, smelled heavenly and was facing the ocean! I spent quiet mornings doing yoga on the beach and then swimming either in the pool or the water. The food here deserves special mention, it is made from fresh ingredients and tastes really good and did not give my stomach any trouble at all. I left Ko Lanta with such fabulous memories and completely rejuvenated, thanks to the excellent hospitality at Amantra Resort.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here for 10 days in one of the beach front bungalows. Although situated on the beach and with an excellent view, I cannot recommend this resort to anyone. The cleaning of the rooms was insufficient (hairs from previous guests in the bathroom and bloodstains on the bed sheets). The food in the restaurant was without comparison the worst I tasted in Thailand, the service was rude and inattentive, and the music (1 karaoke cd on repeat from 10AM to 10pm) playing from the otherwise empty bar kills the tranquility left from staying on the beach. When we ordered transportation by bus and ferry to Phuket through the hotel, the pickup was a no-show.

We've stayed in several places that were far cheaper on Koh Lanta and recommend that you look elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

First of all, this resort is located on a very beautiful beach with a fantastic view. The pool is just in front of the sea and so are the bungalows, which are of ok standard. The cleaning good be better, but acceptable.
However, the staff and management are the most impolite I have ever experienced. The smallest requests are met by angry remarks and eye rolling.
We had before hand requested, in person, two bungalows with quite atmosphere because of two 6 months old babies. Instead we were installed in two bungalows right next to the bar. Here they play the same CD (I really mean the same CD) all day. We couldn't be moved, so we asked for some hours of tranquility. At first we were just ignored. Later they accepted it, but just ignored again and the music started once again.
When we approached the management again, he responded by joking and giving smart remarks about playing only thai music from now on.
The restaurant was just awful - bad food, badly cooked, terrible service. We got a tip from a family the second day: eat at the next resort, Sri Lanta!
I would not recommend this hotel to anybody because of the extremely bad service, even though the location is great.

Room Tip: If you choose this resort, try to avoid the bungalows near the bar. We heard from other families tha...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This resort is located on a quiet stretch of just a stunning beach in Ko Lanta. They have a beautiful sea facing pool, ideal for spending the day in the water. The beach bar guys mix some awesome drinks for you while you relax by the sea. I loved everything about this place. The friendly staff, my really clean room, our large bathrooms, everything was peaceful and just what we needed from our holiday. Cannot wait to return, I feel like I left a part of me back there!!

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

My partner and I spent a luxurious and peaceful week at Amantra recently and are still reeling under the calming effect of our stay! Our beach facing villa was quite big and done up really nicely. When we checked into the room we saw cute towel swans that the housekeeping had made for us on our bed. So cute!! The hotel has a lovely pool overlooking the beautiful blue waters of Ko Lanta. This island is a quieter island compared to the rest of the commercialised Thailand. We prefered this part of Thailand anyway. We spent our days doing Yoga on the beach in the mornings, eating at the numerous restaurants around the hotel by the beach front and swimming in the sea. For the night, our room was most comfortable and the staff at the resort really made us feel good about being here. I couldn't believe our week was over when it was time to leave! Will definitely go back again!

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My boyfriend booked us here to celebrate our anniversary and it was a lovely vacation. Amantra is a far cry from the overly commercial properties one finds in Thailand. The staff is nice and friendly without being over-bearing. I really liked Amantra compared to the other hotels I have stayed at in Thailand as they have kept the warmth alive. Our room was facing a gorgeous almost private beach of Ko Lanta and we'd see the sunrise daily from our room. They have a cute pool at the property where they also serve food and alcohol by the pool side. The Manager knew about our anniversary and gifted us a lovely bottle of wine one of the days which we enjoyed on the beach. There are some really good restaurant options down this beach as well in case you want to step out and eat. We did so on a few occasions and the food was fresh and delicious- really some of the best food on this trip! Just the perfect trip!

Frederiksberg, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

On the good side:
-Decent beach and wonderful view
-The pool is small but in a beautiful setting
-Diveshop on location

Grievences:
- Paid extra for 3 persons in a room. However there was a another fee of 500 bath per night for a extra bed - so 3 people could actually sleep in the room (resort policy)
- No food on porch or in room (resort policy)
- No daily cleaning
- Non-functional aircondition, pointing it out to management didn't help (resort policy?)
- The employees had NO language skills (besides thai) and obviously didn't like their work (in stark contrast to the neighboring resorts)
- The restaurant is awful. Both thai and western food is substantially subpar. However good food is available at the neighboring resorts.
- Very poor value, much better resorts are available at same and lower rates even during high season
- Just plain arrogant and sexist manager

Room Tip: Room 112 to 118 have direct view of the ocean
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Amantra Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!