“Trouble in paradise” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 45 activities in Ko Lanta
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Avoid the crowds; dive and snorkel in very small groups with a focus on great personal service, safety and fun. Departing from the beach each morning at 9am, our two speedboats carry a maximum of 10 divers each to some of the best dive sites in Thailand. PADI courses available in several languages, and with typical group sizes of just 2 or 3 divers with each divemaster or instructor (max 4), diving is more than just a job for us. Enjoy our PADI 5-Star service and let some of the most experienced, friendly and professional dive instructors on Koh Lanta take care of you while you just sit back, dive and relax...
New York City, New York
“Trouble in paradise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

It's been a little while since I had my day at dive and relax and I've had some time to think about the experience.

I think that the staff was very professional and great all around. Except that I now seem to have a permanent ear injury.

As we were diving and getting used to different pressures I kept signaling that I was having trouble with one ear. The instructor would give me a moment an then continue regardless. When the day was over I had a serious problem with my balance and felt like I had water stuck in my ear. She said it might take a few weeks to clear up but not to worry about it. And that perhaps the imbalance was land sickness after being out at sea.

I should have been more skeptical. This person is not a doctor.

If I hadn't had these issues I'd say it was a great experience, but I think that they need to be more mindful and perhaps showing up to do their jobs with hangovers (something my instructor admitted later) is not the best way to insure their students's safety.

Visited May 2013
Diveandrelax, Owner at Dive & Relax, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hello Catherine,

Thank you for your comments and for trying diving with us on the PADI Discover Scuba Diving experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the diving here on Koh Lanta and we are sorry that you had some problems with your ears on the day you dived.

As you may already know, scuba diving is a very safe activity, however on the rare occasion where divers experience problems, it is most often with their ears. Some problems take a few days to clear up and others can take several months as appears to be in this case.

We do recall that both you and Josh enjoyed your first dive together, however unfortunately due to being sea sick, Josh skipped the second dive. This allowed you to dive privately with your instructor for the second dive.

We are proud of our high level of service and attention and are a little surprised that one of our staff would 'continue regardless' if a student was having difficulties as we do try to make an extra effort with all new and nervous divers.

Since you were diving with a private instructor on your second dive, it seems that unfortunately this situation may have been the result of a misunderstanding or miscommunication, rather than a lack of care or attention and we appreciate your feedback to help us to improve in the future.

We are glad that you enjoyed the diving with us, in fact your instructor was particularly grateful when you both arranged to meet her for dinner that same night after the dives and left her a 500 Baht tip. Unfortunately she couldn't stay out drinking with you that night - she explained that she had to leave early as she was working the following morning.

Again, we are sorry that you have experienced problems with your ears and if you have not already done so then we recommend that you visit a doctor for an ear examination. We do hope that your ear problem clears up very soon and that you will continue to enjoy diving in the future.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
“Search No Further... Dive & Relax is it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

To all Divers out there and even snorkellers, Dive & Relax is an awesome Dive Centre for fun dives, dive courses and snorkelling. My wife and I dived with them in Dec 2012 and March 2013 and we clocked a total of 40 dives in all. What made us decide to dive with them again in March 2013 and sign up for our Nitrox course with them is purely due to their professionalism, commitment and passion for this recreational sport. Our Nitrox Instructor Sandra was Fantastic. She possesses the patience of a true coach. In fact, she even advised us on how to further improve our trim. [She did not have to!] Thanks! Sandra.
It was truly gratifying diving with all of the dive instructors- Rhi, Wade, Sal, Anna and Sandra.

Cameron, you should buy a bigger speed boat. Ha..2

We will be back!

Andrew and Yan

Visited March 2013
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 attraction reviews
“Snorkeling Koh Haa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Nice company with attentive staff.
Me and the misses really enjoyed the beautiful scenery and perfect snorkeling / diving spots.
Food on board was delicious and plenty of water and soft drinks available.

Visited May 2013
Arua, Arua, Uganda
“A WONDERFUL First Dive Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I'd like to start by saying that I'm not the best swimmer...okay, I can barely swim, but I really wanted to learn to dive. My instructor was incredibly patient with me while I slowly learned the skills. She worked with the owner to make a package that catered to my wants and abilities. They were super flexible and fair. It's a wonderful atmosphere. You feel like you are a part of the cool group. This company is loads better than others on the island and in Phuket. Having speed boats is the key. We were able to spend more time in the water and less time chugging along to the dive sites. The food and drinks on the boat are also great. Delicious simple Thai food. (Aroy!) I can't express enough what a wonderful time I had over the three days.

Visited February 2013
“TeamUSA/Sun Flower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Amazing! Drive & Relax has an awesome crew. I high recommend diving with them on your trip to Thailand. Koh Lanta is a great island to hang out, dive and relax. Had two great days of diving with Rhi. She is very knowledgable and a great instructor. A big thanks to Cameron and rest of the crew as well! Overall a great group to dive with and will take very good care of you on you dive.

Kori :)