“Homely guest house near the station, and right on the river.” 5 of 5 stars

Baan Are Gong
th Rotchana, Ayutthaya, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 62 Ayutthaya B&B and Inns
Dover
“Homely guest house near the station, and right on the river.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We booked one night here, breaking our train journey from Bangkok to Nong Khai. We arrived late, but it's easy to find, even in the dark. On arrival, they weren't expecting us, although I had booked on Agoda. When we checked the receipt, I had the right date, but they were expecting us a month ago! My goof, I think. However, the owner offered us her room, despite our protests, and so we ended up in a large room with 3 beds. No air con, and it was rather hot in the night. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the river -moesli, fruit, good coffee. Checked out of room and stacked our packs behind the desk in reception, and went off to Ayutthaya for the day. When we got back, we went on the boat trip, then ate dinner on the terrace. They let us hang around there until it was time to go for our train. We felt completely at home (and I paid a little extra to compensate for the "no show" the month before.) Definitely recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

As a solo traveler, i really enjoyed staying here! the owner and her sister are so nice and motherly take care for me. You can refused their offered to stay there again. And don't forget to take a meal in here, the food are so nice too!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I got a nice single room with shared bathroom. The bathrooms were more often clean than not and the room was nice and spacious. Upon request I got a very nice and big mosquito net, too. Staff was very helpful at all times.
The location is great: right outside the train station and just a short and cheap (4 baht) ferry ride away from downtown where rooms are at least 100 baht more expensive though!
The restaurant food was always fantastic and the food was served in western not thai portions which was a nice surprise. The walls are just a little thin, but as a hardend traveller you sleep with earplugs anyway!
I can only recommend this place to anyone who plans to go to Ayutthaya, There are some really lovely dogs too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We booked this guesthouse on agoda and checked in for a 2 night stay in a superior queen room with a private bathroom and hot water shower. Upon check in, we were told that the hot water was broken and if we wanted to have a hot shower we would have to go upstairs and use the shared bathroom that the other rooms share. At first, I accepted this but upon thinking on it I realised that I had paid extra to have a private bathroom so went to discuss it with the owner. As they were full, she couldn't move us. After a lengthy discussion, her and her sister decided that an appropriate amount of compensation (as they had already received our money via agoda) was 30 baht ($1) a day. I'm sure that we were given the broken room as our money was already received and I said to the lady that "if you didn't already have our money we would leave and go somewhere else". This is what prompted the giving of 30 baht a day.

We decided to have lunch at the hotel as we'd travelled for 6 hours and it was easy. My fried rice was boring and service was slow. I ordered a large bottle of water - "no have, only have small" so I ordered a small bottle of water. After 10 mins of waiting I went to the fridge and got it myself, none of them were even cold.

Pros:
Good airconditioner
Large tv (albeit with one English Channel)
Comfy pillows
Decent wifi strength

Cons:
Rock hard bed
Walls that don't go all the way up in the bathroom so smells dissipate across the room
Door that closes by padlock only and thus can be opened a little
Barking dogs in the hallway directly outside the door that wake you up multiple times a night (owners dogs and they didn't try to silence them). Also some very loud people in the middle of the night. I think it's the owners locking the place up.
Our room wasn't made up, not even new toilet paper was given.
No hand soap for the wash basin

Additionally, we booked a scenic boat trip with the owner. She seemed very disgruntled that she actually had to do something. She phoned the man and he came to collect us. I only speak very basic Thai but I distinctly heard the words for 300 mentioned at least twice. We were charged 400. 100 baht cut for a phone call? A bit much.

The icing on the cake is when we checked out. We asked if we could sit in the restaurant and order some drinks (eg be paying customers) and we were told yes, but that a tour group was coming and we needed to be gone by then. It's not like we were just asking to sit for free, we ordered drinks.

Very unhappy, wouldn't recommend this due to the poor attitude of the staff. For the price, the facilities aren't great.

• Stayed February 2013
Lop Buri, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very clean, nice and beautiful guesthouse. But most of all very kind people who can help you with anything. In front of the place is the old guesthouse which burned down a few years ago. But you will have to look past that. It is near the train station and right next to the ferry. On the downside, the rooms are a bit noisy but there you have earplugs voor toch?

Room Tip: You don't need AC!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

You could not ask for a more convenient location for a guesthouse. Exit the train station , cross the street and go to the end of the Soi. If that was not enough the ferry to Ayutthaya Island is located just beyond the the hotel - maybe 20 yards. The rooms are small but clean with ensuite and strong WIFI. The staff is excellent and speak English well. A real deal for about $16 double!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dresden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The lady who owns the place speaks good English and is very helpful, although she can be sometimes a bit impatient while talking to her. The shared bathrooms are very clean and the place has a nice atmosphere with all the wood around. We stayed in the rooms upstairs which were a little bit noisy due to the thin wooden wall to the neighbour rooms. It's very near to the train station (5 mins walk) but also just next to the riverside. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Check the walls to the neighbour rooms. Some are just made out of glass and covered with a curtain.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Baan Are Gong? Share your experiences!