“An unpleasant stay indeed.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mount View

Hotel Mount View
You added Hotel Mount View to your Saves list
Hotel Mount View
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5/324 & 5/325 Laws Ghat Road | Close to Zion School, Kodaikanal 624101, India   |
Ranked #59 of 67 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Chennai
“An unpleasant stay indeed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

I had one of my friend's wedding in Madurai on 8th Dec 2008. So, I planned for a trip to Kodaikanal as the preceeding 2 days are weekend holidays. I informed my wife about the plan and she is excited. So, I booked direct ticket from Chennai to Kodaikanal in KPN Travels. My plan was:

Friday Night (5th Dec 2008) - Chennai - Kodaikanal.
Saturday & Sunday - Kodaikanal Site Seeing
Sunday Evening (7th Dec 2008) - Kodaikanal - Madurai
Sunday Night - Monday Evening - Madurai Stay
Monday Night (8th Dec 2008) - Madurai to Chennai.

I booked for return journey from Madurai to Chennai in ABT Travels. So, for stay in Kodaikanal, I was browsing for good hotel and online booking. I was very much impressed by the website of the hotel (Hotel Mount View - www.kodaimountview.com) and the room tariffs and proceeded to book online through cleartrip.com. For checkin details, I gave 6th Dec 2008 date and checkout, I gave 7th Dec 2008 and proceeded to book so called Super Deluxe Room. I made Rs. 1571.00 and I got the booking confirmation to my mail id stating that DURATION: 2 DAYS & 1 NIGHT. So, I was very much relaxed as I can spend 2 days fully in the same hotel.

My wife and me started our journey towards Kodaikanal happily and reached Hotel Mount View @ 8:00 AM on 6th Dec 2008. I showed the room booking confirmation mail to the reception and the person sent a room boy to show me the room. When I saw the room, it was like a Deluxe Room and not like a Super Deluxe Room as the photo in the website. I asked the room boy what type of room is this. He said its a Deluxe Room. I then asked him I booked a Super Deluxe Room and why are you showing the Deluxe Room. Then the room boy told me to clarify the same with the receptionist. I went to him and asked him for Super Deluxe Room and what you are showing is a Deluxe Room. Then, he said that the room which is alloted to me is a Super deluxe Room. I then asked him when I saw the photo of the superdeluxe room in your website, it looked different and what you are showing is like the photo of a Deluxe Room. Then he said that in website, we have put the photo of Deluxe and Suite Room only and not Super deluxe Room. He refuced to show me the other types of rooms too. I can't do anything else but to stay in the Deluxe Room (Costing Rs. 1100) after paying for the Super Deluxe Room (1571.00).

We thought, its ok we will adjust as most of the time we are not going to stay in the room, but will go for site seeing. The worst thing happened the next day 7th Dec 2008 morning 10:00 AM. We got a call from the reception that our checkout is at 10:00 AM. I was shocked to hear that because, in the booking confirmation, It was printed that the stay is for 2 Days and 1 Night. Still I have a full day to stay in that room. I again went to the reception with a copy of my booking confirmation email that clearly says this. I entered into a quarral with the Receptionist and nothing is happened. He strictly said that I need to pay more (Rs. 1226 Extra) to checkout at 4:30 PM that day. Then I paid Rs. 1226 extra. The worst thing is that they are not accepting the Credit / Debit Card Payment also. One person is telling that they will accept Card payment and other person is telling they won't accept card payments.

The other incident is that, they have a site seeing package (one full day by car). I called up reception to get details on this on 5th Dec 2008 and the person said they have a package that costs Rs. 750 per Day for site seeing in a car. When I reached the hotel the next day and asked for the package, they said the same package costs Rs. 800. I said ok and I said I will pay it while checking out. I booked the package and the car is ready and we went for site seeing. Everything was fine on the first day. On sunday, while checking out, I was standing in the reception. One more couple was enquiring about the site seeing package. The receptionist said, the package would cost Rs. 750. and he paid for it and went for siteseeing. So, when I saw the bill, I was charged Rs. 800 for siteseeing and I again shouted at the receptionist as to why they charged Rs. 800 for the same package which the other couple was charged Rs. 750. He could not answer my question and he started blabbering something and finally agreed to reduce the site seeing charge by Rs. 50 and I paid 1226+750+Dinner,Coffee, etc.

So, my sincere advise is not to encourage these kinds of misrepresentations and frauds while you travel to Kodaikanal and planning to stay in HOTEL MOUNT VIEW, KODAIKANAL.

• Liked — Location, Food
  • Disliked — Misrepresentation by Hotel Staff, Unclear Answers for Queries from Staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bangalore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2007

Though it is said that this hotel is located just a KM from the Kodai lake I felt it is little more might be 2KM (as I walked it down thrice). The view around is not that great but the hotel (building) is quite good with 26 rooms.

I am not sure if any hotel prepares no food in off-season because I was left hungry with this reason. But again 15th Dec to 15th Jan is said to be a season!!! You will be surprised to find some south Indian dishes cooked to the perfection but others lack the taste in it. Definitely there is a scope for improvement in quality and quantity of food served. Hope on some day the restaurant will have at least half of the items ready to be served as listed on the menu. If some one has visited this hotel during the season will be glad to know more.

Hot water… you should ask for it or be ready to withstand the cold water during the winter season. Lastly, forget using your credit card over here and carry the cash or DD sent before you arrive.

• Liked — Good rooms
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not expect
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Mount View? Share your experiences!