“Excellent Hotel in the Heart of the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kodaikanal
Hotel Villa Retreat
You added Hotel Villa Retreat to your Saves list
Near Coakers Walk, Kodaikanal 624101, India   |
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Hotel in the Heart of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The hotel is situated adjcent to Coaker's walk, so from the Green lawn you will have an excellent view of the valley.There are very few rooms in the hotel which helps to maintain the calmness and privacy of the guests in the hotel. The hotel does not have any amenities not even a restaurant, but kitchen is there. Food is served in the room or in the lawn.

We stayed in the Delux room of the hotel.There are four delux rooms in the hotel and all the rooms had a balcony having a partial view of the valley.Hot water is available through out the day & night.

The two reasons for which i should come back to the hotel is its execellent view to the valley and excellent food (both south indian & north indian). There is no bad experience at all except the delux room which is just a basic room with an TV.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

One of the best resort I ever stayed in.
Located Just beside Coaker's Walk and opposite Bryant park this resort was refreshingly welcoming. The room was beautifully but simple decorated. With a nice personal balcony at the back of the room.
There was small tea garden at the back of the resort with a magnificent view of the valley. You will feel like in heaven when you will have your morning tea there.
Best of the lot, the people were awesome. We had check out at 9Am. But we had our bus at 6.30PM. So they offered us one of their empty room free of cost. That room was also very clean and well equipped with a bed, television, toilet with hot water as well as wardrobe.
The best experience of my life. Thanks Villa retreat for making my first honeymoon memorable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband and I went to Kodaikanal for celebrating our third marriage anniversary and stayed there for two days in old block.
When I came to this hotel I got totally captivated by the view of valley from the hotel garden.First day it was clear sky so I cud see the small town at the base of the valley and second day it was like I am standing in heaven all surrounded by clouds, it was breathtaking I cud not ask for more than that but to our surprise the food (we ordered aloo parantha..yes in TN)was awesome !!For us the staff was very helpful and polite.Rooms were small but neat and given a very cozy modern touch. I cannot complain abt it as location was very convenient and offcourse this hotel was originally a residence before.And I cannot end this review without mentioning my royal breakfast which we had for two days in the garden with the awesome view. Rest pics says it all!!!

Room Tip: Go for old block it got beautiful view
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Hi i m harshit it was a very very good experience for me n my wife.. It was my 1st anniversary 25 may, we planned it at very short notice n luckily v got a room in villa retreat but only for one day. Good service good ppl good location. Nthg else cn expect then this. We Wer not willing to leave the hotel next day but had to..but 3rd day I got shifted back to villa as I got 1 room for that day. I was a very very nice stay for me n my wife.. Thanks villa & staff to make my first annicersay memorable.. Good luck n my wishes to u..

• Stayed May 2011
Satun, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed in the Deluxe Suite for the first night, but had to move out for the following two nights because it had been pre-booked. We were offered the Classic Room (nice, but a bit small) and a choice of Deluxe and Standard Rooms.

For me the Standard rooms in the new block offered excellent value for money compared to the other two options. The beds were comfortable, the view from the balcony wasn't bad at all and the bathroom was clean and spacious. I didn't see the point of paying the extra for the Deluxe or Classic Room, but the Deluxe Suite is very smart if you don't mind paying a few extra quid

The restaurant was being re-furbished when we were there, so it didn't function, but the hotel offered a patchy (mostly good) take-away service from other local restaurants.

Service was efficient, if a little devoid of personality.

The absolute winning attribute of this hotel is its spectacular views from the pretty garden. Have a look at our photographs here: http://www.followtheboat.com/2011/03/31/eerily-familiar-kodaikanal/

They have a rather harsh check-out time of 9am, which is uncomfortably early for most people.

Room Tip: 5 Deluxe Suite, standards are good enough
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

First the positives: The location is good right next to Coaker's walk, allowed us a chance to take both morning and evening walks. Bathroom has a good heater with hot water.

Negatives: Kitchen is under renovation however this was communicated after we entered the hotel. There were multiple tariff cards for the same year 2011 but one for each month. We were first shown the march 2011 tariff card which was lower than the April tariff card when asked we were shown the April tariff card. The deluxe room was road facing which is a pity since it was not very cheap.

It may be a good place off-season but avoid it during season when it is booked thanks to the "Heritage tag". Need to get some professional management.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I was here for a holiday, the planning in which I had not hand whatsoever (I thank my fiancée for that). When she made the booking she was told that it was a small room, but with the best view. True, the room was small and cosy, but the view was SPECTACULAR. The room overlooked the valley and there wasn't any time of the day when you didn't want to draw the curtains and just sit on the ledge and stare into the site that was there to see.

And its not just the view, the staff are absolutely fantastic. This is no 5 star hotel, but the staff are at times more courteous than some of the trained staff at 5 star's. In fact, we checked out of the room at 9 AM and had a bus to catch at 6 in the evening. They nevertheless let us use a spare room for an afternoon siesta without making any fuss about it. They took the effort to get us enthused about a sightseeing trip and were at almost all times ready to lend us a helping hand for anything.

Its a place I would keep coming to and recommend anyone else who wants to come here.

Its unfortunately though not a place though for a budget traveler.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villa Retreat? Share your experiences!