“Awesome and Mesmerizing!!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lake Road, Kodaikanal 624101, India   |
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Kodaikanal
“Awesome and Mesmerizing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This place is one of the most beautiful hotels I have visited so far. The property is centrally located on the lake itself giving a breathtaking view of the Kodai lake. The staff is very helpful. Food equally good. I found the spread also good. All the rooms have beautiful lake view. The staff was courteous enough to accommodate our early check in and late check out. Fabulous experience!

Room Tip: I had room 108. Awesome views. Please do select on first floor! No noise, direct lake view.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

had stayed here with family during our visit to Kodaikanal. Rooms are good and balcony view of the township and lake is breathtaking!
There is breakfast buffet which is vast and exquisite.
A bit pricey but the memories we had will surely last a lifetime!!!

Stayed June 2014
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is undoubtedly the best hotel in Kodaikanal. There is no other hotel in Kodaikanal which comes close to matching this hotel in any field. Firstly, the location is amazing - right across the lake. Most of the rooms are lake facing. Also they have a huge garden. Secondly, the rooms and the bathrooms are well maintained. Thirdly, great hospitality, right from GM to the managers to the restaurant staff and the housekeeping staff. Fourthly prompt & great services. The staff are very flexible. Lastly, but not the least, the buffet spread for breakfast, lunch and dinner are quite elaborate (both veg and non-veg). Also many of the dishes comprise of healthy diet. The wifi is available, but chargeable. It is better to carry datacard. The signal is pretty good. We were 35 of us staying in 19 rooms for 4 days, 3 nights and went for a business meeting. The entire team had a great time. The hotel also have cycles to move around the lake + table tennis + foosball + badminton court + carrom +... They have an area for children games. This hotel is worth the price - value for money. A memorable experience for everybody.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Vasteras, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was planning to visit Kodaikanal - a beautiful hill-station in Tamilnadu in India- in January 2015. Based on Tripadvisor's high review ranking, my choice for our stay was The Carlton, this being the only hotel in Kodaikanal which I thought would meet my requirements of a hotel with a customer responsive management. I had almost decided to stay in this hotel, so I contacted the hotel's only published e-mail address, reservations@carlton-kodaikanal.com, for assistance to get a rental car for our travels. There was no proper response - one person asking me to contact another, and so on. I had to make a number of phone calls with no proper answer, much to my utter disappointment and frustration. Finally, I had to ask for and get the General Manager's e-mail address. I wrote an e-mail to the General Manager of the hotel, Mr Mr Rajkumar Raman. Mr Rajkumar Raman has not, up until now, had the courtesy to reply. This shows the shocking management culture of the Raheja Group to which the hotel belongs.

As a consequence I have abondoned my plans to visit Kodaikanal this time. Hopefully some competitor will establish soon in Kodaikanal, which, indeed, is a beatiful touristic place. Kodaikanal deserves to be served by well-managed superior class hotel. I do want to see The Taj Group (The Gateway Hotels) or The Oberoi Group (Trident Hotels) establish in Kodaikanal. These hotels have an excellent cutomer responsive culture.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
krahejahospitality, General Manager at The Carlton, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest
Greetings!
We were utterly shocked to see your comments that the undersigned hadn’t responded to your email. Whereas I did reply to your email on 11th October, 2014, a copy of which is reproduced below. Of course there was a delay due to my travelling, for which I had tendered my apologies. We are afraid that this email either hadn’t reached you or you had missed seeing, which has resulted in upsetting you, and posting of such comment on the TripAdvisor. However, you could have sent me an email, if you hadn’t received or missed seeing my reply. Also, you have commented that the Raheja Group’s management culture being ‘shocking’. In this context, please note that your choice for stay at Kodaikanal was The Carlton, which was based on Tripadvisor's high review ranking, which is the reflection of our high management culture and that of the hotels in the group.
We do look forward to have you staying with us sometime in the near future.
With warm regards,
Rajkumar Raman

From: A M Rajah - Admin. Manager
Date: 11/10/14 18:02:02
To: harave@chandru.st
Subject: Fw: Holiday in Kodaikanal combined with a trip by car to Kochi and Thekkady (Periyar)

Dear Mr Chandramouli
Greetings!
Thank you for your email.

To start off with, kindly accept my apologies for the delay in replying, I was travelling out of Kodaikanal.
We shall be pleased to have you staying at The Carlton from 07th to 11th January 2015 (FOUR Nights).
The tariff for four nights is Rs 38800/- (Rs 29100/- is for three nights). Therefore, the total amount including the transport cost works out to Rs 73909/-, the breakup of which is;
Hotel package for 4 nights Rs 38800.00
Car (Madurai-Kerala trip-upto Hotel) Rs 30390.00
Drop at Madurai on 11th Jan 15 Rs 4719.00
Total Rs 73909.00
Please note:
1) As a policy of our hotel we would like the entire amount of the room tariff in advance for confirmation of bookings. However, as a special case, we would request you to kindly pay us an advance of Rs 50000/-.
2) With regards to the cancellation policy we would like to explain that ours is a Resort property, and it is difficult to resell rooms once cancelled, this is the reason as to why we have the cancelation policy in place (which was sent to you), which we would like to be followed.

Kindly fill, sign and email us the attached MAIL ORDER FORM (to my email id) (the same is self-explanatory), based on which the advance payment can be collected through your credit card.

As soon as we get the Mail Order Form, we shall collect the payment and send you an email confirming the room and car reservations.

We note that you are arriving on 2nd January 2015 by Jet Konnect flight No 2727, ETA 1550 hrs. The driver will receive you at Madurai Airport, he would hold a placard with your name written on.
Look forward to hearing from you.
With warm regards

Rajkumar Raman

Coimbatore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed 2 days and i would say its placed in an exquisite location and well maintained but there is nothing more to it than plain accommodation. It lacks innovation..
Food was lacking variety and severely over priced for a very normal menu. But for the name there is nothing that would make the hotel 5 star..

Verdict : worth a try but wouldn't stay again for this price.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have stayed a few times in Carlton and it's one of the good resorts in Kodaikanal . But, the sad thing is there is no innovation in service; and no improvement to the existing facilities. If they don't bother to work on these things they will vanish soon!
It was ugly yo see a senior Chef scolding the chef at dosa counter in local language. Non veg choices are less with lack of variety. Tea, Coffee and Masala Tea lacked taste. The few good things about the resort is its excellent location, well maintained lawns and cosy lake facing rooms. But everyone out there must take a crash course in what true hospitality is. Overall my 3 Night stay there have me a mixed feeling and I will think a few times to stay there again when I go to Kodaikanal next time.

• Stayed October 2014
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Grand, totally unexpected elegance by the lake. The hotel used to feel cold in terms of a lack of atmosphere (in the 1970’s that is). Now it a warm welcoming place. It is large, but manages to feel comfortable. The food is good to very good. The curry we had there was the best we had during a 2 week trip through Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

The rooms are comfortable and the lake facing ones have a wonderful view.

Staff are welcoming, friendly and willing to help on every occasion.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Carlton? Share your experiences!