“Here if you dont want noisy downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of B's Hive

You added B's Hive to your Saves list
B's Hive
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   Anandhagiri 7th Street, Behind Shankara School, Moonjikal, Kodaikanal, India   |
Ranked #10 of 74 Kodaikanal B&B and Inns
Pinedale, Wyoming
“Here if you dont want noisy downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Great location if you dont want to be in noisy downtown. This is my second stay at B's Hive. I will definitely stay there for next trip to Kodai.Its a bit of a walk to downtown if you dont have a vehicle, but great location if you do

Room Tip: Great location if you dont want to be in noisy downtown. This is my second stay at B's Hive. I w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed in B's hive for four nights. We had a good first impression - the place is lovely, clean, has a great view, and is in a quiet area. But we ended up having a very strange and poor experience of the service there and as a result can't leave a good review.
It's worth noting that there is around a 2km hike uphill if you want to reach the lake area. Alternatively you pay the local minimum taxi charge of 150 rupees to get there there.
The owner and the caretaker, Arun, were helpful in guiding us to the place on arrival. But unfortunately we have to echo other peoples comments about the service being lacklustre. We ordered breakfast the first morning and had a two-hour wait before we were told by Arun that it wasn't actually available.

We had originally booked three nights and asked could we stay another. We paid by cash and didn't have the correct change so we gave Arun extra and were assured we would get the change when checking out. When the time came, he ended up accompanying us to the bus station and eventually told us he'd have to transfer it to our bank a/c. We said this would be difficult, so he said he could transfer it to the account of the next guesthouse we were going to!? He said he'd ring the following morning to organise it, didn't, and hasn't been in touch since.
Needless to say we found this strange, disorganised and unprofessional.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
BsHive, Owner at B's Hive, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
After investigating the incident, I found the charge mentioned by the guest is true and I take it seriously. As a response to the misdeed I have fired my caretaker Arun of his job. I have also contacted the guest to repay the money directly and shall initiate transfer on receipt of the bank details.It would be great if the guests also cooperate in handing over money to authorized persons only.
Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The room is really good and worth.
The location is awesome. Especially the inner big size glass window is awefull to look out.
The room is neately arranged.
The seperate bolcony at the terrace rooms has high privacy.

The only problem is, it is distant from the main road. Apart from it, its good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Located around 2-3 Kms from Bus stand, over-looking a valley, it is surely a place for relaxing. We have spent 3 days and 2 nights in this beautiful cottage in one of the terrace rooms and it's really one experience I am going to miss. I had varied experiences during the day, both sunny and misty. And the valley and the mountain opposite to the cottage shows different colors during different part of day.

The rooms are good with all basic amenities. The caretaker Arun is quite supportive and arrange for anything which is required. I have always seen him smiling and that was really encouraging.

Only one cons, it is 2-3 Kms from Bus stand, where major eateries are, like Tava restaurant, Tibetan Brothers, Dominos, Subway, etc. So, every-time you need to visit there, you are required to shell out 150 bucks for one-side taxi. At the same time, you may not require to travel to town, if you can go for the south indian restaurant near-by or home-made food arranged by Arun. There are some home-delivery food options available too. You can contact Arun for the same.

Room Tip: Choose any of the terrace rooms...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Tanjore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

It is not for nothing this cottage is where it is in tripadvisor ranking. But where is this in Kodaikanal? you need some working to find this place. But once there you will find every minute worth the trouble of coming over. Good home made food. Great view. Absolute silence. Look no further. Just go and have a blast.

Room Tip: Housing Unit
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at B's Hive for 3 Days in terrace room. Would recommend for people who would like to spend time with Nature at kodai.....and still have the feel of home stay.... Comfortable & neat rooms with beautiful view of the Valley... feel safe being located at the dead end of a very calm residential terrain with good privacy.... Right place for those who prefer comfort over luxury and to spend more time with the nature.....!

Room Tip: Terrace Rooms are good for the comfort & also for the beautiful view of the Hills from the balc...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have stayed in B's Hive Standard Terrace for 3 days with my family. On booking confirmation, I was delighted to see lot of emails from the hotel management which gave me the best possible information about the hotel, expectations, facilities, etc along with a attached hand drawn route map & a tourist map. I have questioned myself which hotel provides so much of information to a guest (OR to-be-guest)? The response to the emails/calls with Mr. Balaji was effective, neat and very informative. So, I can say your relationship as a guest with the hotel starts when you book, not when you check-in. Impressive!!!

Now, coming to a few other things that I felt attractive -
1. The Rooms were provided the way they were shown in the Photographs. Neat Rooms, hygiene bathrooms and clean bedsheets. There is also a Geyser in each bathroom (something unlike a few other hotels where they have restricted hot water timelines)
2. The view from the terrace does the magic. I have spent many hours during mornings and evenings looking at the mist, the lush green valleys, scenic beauty, etc through the private terrace.
3. Homely environment. The hotel is located in a residential locality, in a neighbourhood with many independent houses around. Also has a school adjacent to the property. So, it gives you a in-home environment.
4. Tasty Food - The home cooked food is served to the terrace/room is clean and tasty, just for a nominal amount.
5. Value for Money - Very pleasant stay for the money they charge.
6. Guidance to the hotel was very supportive. I called Mr. Balaji and he routed me to caretaker Mr. Arun to make us reach the hotel appropriately. Both were very helpful and received us very well.

However there are a few points we need to down for our "Pre-preparedness", and attain more clarity before deciding/booking:
1. This is more of a Cottage than a hotel. So, please cut down your expectation(s). You don't see a lobby, reception, dedicated parking space for your car, etc. You have to park your vehicle on the approach road, and yes, it is safe enough there.
2. Approach Road - The approach road to the cottage is narrow and steep. It tests your driving skills :-) You may face a bit difficulty to reverse your car. However, manageable.
3. Options of Food is minimal - The food is prepared in kitchen and served in room, it doesnt have a dedicated restaurant or a dining or wide options for food. So, the menu is limited, but delicious. Alternatively there is a place called "Ayyappa Restaurant", which is 2 mins walk from the cottage. It serves Vegetarian Tamilnadu style food. The food there is very affordable and very delicious. There is also a basic provisional store next to Ayyappa Restaurant, for any quick basic needs.
4. Access to city center - The city center is not far from the cottage, not very near as well. You need a vehicle to reach there for shopping or for other eateries. I don't think walking there could be easier, because the road is very steep. It turns out to be your cardio workout.
5. As mentioned above, it is more a cottage. So, the facilities and amenities are also limited. So, its better we carry a few basic things like Soaps, Shampoo, Towel, etc. If you miss, no worries, Arun can make arrangements.
6. Service - There is only 1 care taker for the whole cottage. So, 1 person managing a bunch of guests is a tough job. Technically it ends up in a disaster.

Now, coming to the flip side of the heavenly stay -
The main and biggest concern I have here is the service. If I have mentioned the "service" as a Hell in my subject, one can derive a meaning how painful it was. As mentioned by Mr. Balaji that there is only one care taker and service would be a bit delayed, I welcomed that concern, and I have my own expectations of delay. But, when i closely observed, I realized it is too bad to accept, and indeed wanted to give a heads-up to the co-guests. Mr. Arun, the only care-taker for the full cottage, is like a one-man army whole responsible for check-in/out, serve food/water/etc, hotel and hospitality management, etc. I have to pity on him coz he almost climbs 25 odd staircase a few times every hour. I don't know how he is managing in ideal situation (when guests are limited). But when cottage is fully occupied, I can say the control is completely lost. The efforts are very disorganized, and the final output of service is almost pathetic.

I can take you through an example. On Day 1 of my stay, when I met Arun at around 5pm, I have ordered Tea; Gave him a sachet of instant soup (which i had with me); and provided my order for Dinner (chapati with curry). I have placed him a request to serve the soup sometime between 730 and 8pm, so that we can have dinner at 830pm. And here is the output - I was served with Tea only at 715pm. Technically, he took more than 2 hours to get a cup of tea, that too with many calls and reminders. The soup was never served, but the dinner was served directly at 9pm. At 10pm, Arun again came to me and asking if he can serve soup now, which is 1 hour after dinner. Surprised again. Hmmm…. I just told him "Take it easy dude, don't worry".
And I have been encountering similar experiences along my stay of next 2 days. I can say it almost doesnt have a good service.

Secondly, I have read in one of the other reviews, where a guest mentioned about the geyser. I doubt if the geyser issue is fixed. In the room (Standard Terrace) I stayed, the geyser takes almost 30 mins to get heated, but it hardly serves 4 or 5 mugs of hot water. It again takes 30more minutes to serve another 4 mugs of hot water. I think Hotwater is one of the major necessities we need in a cold station like Kodaikanal.

My Advice to the management:
I don't have any concerns with the stay. However, would love to foresee a lot of improvements in the cottage on the Service(s) point of view. Somany guests in peak season (or fully occupied timeline), and only 1 care-taker?? I guess the guests would be more happy to see another one. And, the in-house services could be more Streamlined, more Organised and the care-taker could know to prioritise the needs. Timely delivery is something that is badly missing.
The price you charge is very affordable, very reasonable and very valuable for a comfortable and pleasant stay. Heartfully, your hotel deserves a much better rating, and much better review. But the service is something that comes a big hurdle. Hoping to see/hear some good improvements from you on my regards.

Overall, the stay is worth the money you spend.

Room Tip: One on the Terrace
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to B's Hive? Share your experiences!