“not a Haveli but a museum” 4 of 5 stars

Haveli Braj Bhushanjee, Heritage Hotel
Below Palace Opp Ayurvedic Hospital | Kiplingsbundi, Bundi 323001, India   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bundi
arizona
“not a Haveli but a museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

After a long drive from Agra we arrived very late at the Haveli , the charming owner was waiting for us . The place is a real thing own by the same family since XVI century .
Even at this late hour they prepared us a excellent vegetarian dinner . Regret not to have stay a other day in Bundi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The haveli was brilliantly located and run with great respect for Brahmin tradition by Mukesh Mehta and his brother. They have recently restored the 'heritage' wing which whilst not facing the palace, was much quieter and we had a whole floor to ourselves with a covered verandah overlooking the town and beautiful painted rooms.
It was perfectly located with the Garh Palace and fort rising up behind and the town falling away below. We loved Bundi - small, colourful, unhassley with some spectacular sights - the palace with its Bundi school murals, the fort with its ruins and monkeys (straight out of Jungle Book) and the stunning stepwells. The hotel can put you in touch with a wonderful guide who we'd highly recommend. He met us in the lobby and really helped us get the most out of our day in Bundi. His name is Bhanwar Singh Hada.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at this Haveli in May 2012 for 3 nights. We were the only guests the first night, as it is May and definitely the off season. First of all, I want to say to anyone considering going to Bundi – do it. After the hustle and bustle of Delhi, Agra, and even Udaipur, Bundi is a welcome respite. This haveli is an easy rickshaw ride from the train station, in a perfect location to explore the city and as you step inside, the street noise disappears. We were given the choice of rooms and chose one in the lower building. The owners are friendly and accommodating. The wireless worked pretty well most of the time. The food is absolutely delicious. I read reviews that said it was bland and could not disagree more (and both my husband and I are foodies and also like VERY spicy food). Being the off season and other restaurants not being open, we ate breakfast and dinner all three nights in the haveli dining room. Every night we shared the dining room with at least a few members of the family. I developed a friendship with the owner’s young daughter, and she even invited me to her birthday party. Sadly, it was to be after we were already gone.

This being India, there are differences from Western hotels. If you only stay in large, luxury hotels in India, you won’t know that there are scheduled (and unscheduled) power outages throughout the day. This is part of the experience. Sometimes there isn’t hot water (although who needs hot water when it’s 120 degrees outside) and sometimes there isn’t any cold. On our last night, when we had shared our dinner with a travel tour planner from France, there wasn’t any water at all. Luckily we had lots of bottled water around the room. It’s all part of the incredible India experience.
Our photos of the haveli can be seen here: http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/gr8escape/5/1338484867/tpod.html

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

A quirky hotel with the loveliest family who cares a lot about your stay. We wanted to stay in one of the room that was like a jewel box but the owner flagged it was a bit noisy and perhaps we would prefer a quieter room. He was right and we moved the next day without any problem. It was nice to stay in that jewel box regardless!!
The town is wonderful, the palace was the best we went to in our whole trip. It's was so quiet and charming. We had a great guide... Ask for Billu he's the oldest working guide there and also gave us a magical cycle tour the next day.
Also find Krishna the best chai maker in town on the main strip. He is an amazing man.

• Stayed December 2012
French Alps
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and even though I don't think we had the most amazing of their rooms, the entire property is awesome. The breakfast/dining room looks like a museum and you have a hard time focussing on your food (vegetarian by the way). My son was a permanent visitor of the swing in the courtyard and it's representative of the easy going in there. Braj Bhushanjee is right underneath Bundi Fort and particularly impressive at night on the roof top. The owners, 2 brothers are discrete but effective business men who run their hotel in the best way. Internet working. Problem with hot water noticed and fixed. Thank you .

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms on the ground floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Haveli Braj Bushangee, a haven of tranquillity amidst the noise and bustle of Bundi. The welcome was warm and the accommodation excellent. The rooms are large and comfortable with beautiful decoration and furnishing and lots of historical interest. The menu is limited but the service when we breakfasted at the haveli was excellent. Thankyou Mukesh for making our stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: We had heritage rooms in the old building at the back of the courtyard garden, but were shown other...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Okay, this review is going to sound entirely off-kilter, but please remember that I arrived in this hotel just before the real tourist season and so ended being the only guest in the establishment. The treatment I received was incredible. Would it have been the same if the hotel was packed out? Maybe not, but given the graciousness of the family that runs it, I'm sure it would have been close. Anyway . . . This lovely, sprawling old family complex is at the bottom of the mountain that Garh Palace sits upon. It's on the only car-navigable road on the mountainside of the lake. That road is really a lane and impassable by more than one car at a time.

The people who greeted me at the hotel could not have been more gracious and accommodating. They made me feel like visiting royalty. Of course, I was their only guest, but still. And my room (#9)! It was about the size of my bedroom and living room at home combined. With marble tile floors, a huge bed, a lounging area with two seats and a couch, it felt like an apartment. My room was on the ground floor overlooking the garden. There were seats outside to enjoy the air and a circular fan above them to blow away the mosquitoes. The room was, of course, air conditioned and had two ceiling fans. The bathroom was large -- no tub, just a huge shower. Now, I'm sure this was the biggest room in the complex. I saw the outside of some of the others and they looked a normal size, though all seem to have been decorated with charm.

Everything, by the way, was spotless.

Dinner was in an elaborately decorated room upstairs. Again, I was the only guest so I got exceptional service. After I was served the extended family who own the building sat down to dinner at a table in the same room. They sent me over some special treats to try. It was, incidentally, one of the best meals I had in India. Home cooked, super fresh, and spiced the way I requested (spicy). I had one dish I had never even seen before: tomatoes stuffed with cheese and coconut and cooked in a complex curry. Terrific. After dinner I was invited up on the roof to view the palace by night and was shown an alcove decorated with lovely old paintings. The young man who was escorting me could not tell me how old they were, but given that the building is over 200 years old, I would peg them at at least 150.

Breakfast was served in the same room and was western style: toast, fruit, porridge, juice, etc. Oh, and a couple of freshly made samosas.

The location of the hotel was just about perfect: walk out the door, turn left, and it was a short walk to a junction. The road going up to the left from there took you directly to the palace, the road down and to the right lead to a long street packed with shop and, eventually, a large open-air market. Bundi, when I was there, was very light on tourists (I had the palace entirely to myself for an hour) so people actually said hello to me and children were thrilled when I took their picture.

Any bad points about my stay? Well, there are mosquitoes in Bundi and the hotel's wifi was iffy. As in all Indian cities, the streets have trash-filled areas. But that's about it.

Sorry to sound like I'm gushing here, and perhaps my experience was exceptional because I was the sole guest, but this hotel was so pretty, the people were so nice, and the town so intriguing, I felt like a cross between Rudyard Kipling and Indiana Jones as soon as I checked in. Bundi and this hotel were the highlights of my trip to India.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Haveli Braj Bhushanjee, Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!