“Unexpected amount of wildlife” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Private Tour
$176*
and up
2-Day Private Tour of Bharatpur from Jaipur: Deeg...
Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Bharatpur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Birdwatching, Viewing wildlife, Biking
More attraction details
Owner description: Bharatpur bird sanctuary is home to over 350 species of birds.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
15 attraction reviews
“Unexpected amount of wildlife”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The bird sanctuary is located in Bharatpur - around 2 1/2 hours from Jaipur. I went in the off season which meant there were very few tourists - it felt as though we had the park just for ourselves

No cars are allowed in the park so you either walk, hire your own bike or get driven around by a naturalist in a rickshaw - this is the option we chose and one I would recommend as the naturalist (at least Harish, the one we had) was very knowledgeable and a good spotter.

The park itself is average in size but full of wildlife. You do not have to travel very far before you come across your first amazingly coloured bird, or your first family of macaques. Riding on the rickshaw means you are able to get very close. The park was very green when I went - which was in the dry season so I imagine it must really come to life after the monsoon.

As there are no cars, the park is very quiet and serene and you quickly forget the outside world once you enter.

We took quite a few trips to the park - early morning - when the light is beautiful and then close to sunset. It got quite hot towards the end of the morning trips so best to bring a hat. We did also experience a mini (and quite refreshing) storm whilst there - our naturalist carried on cycling however and so the trip was not spoiled.

The scenery is a mix of lakes, rivers, meadows and forest and there are various routes you can take which takes you deeper into the park.We spent between 3 and 4 hours there each time - although the time went by very quickly.

I saw a huge array of wildlife - much more than I expected -although it obviously doesn't compare to some of the larger parks and safaris you can go on. Take some binoculars for the bird viewing. We saw deer, jackalls, peacocks, vultures, monkeys, a huge turtle and lots of exotic birds which I can not name. The trip raised my interest in bird watching and so I hope to be more knowledgeable when I go back.

This was my first time wildlife watching in India and it was a gentle, thoroughly worthwhile experience.

Visited May 2014

Madrid, Spain
“Amazing scenery but got overcharged on rickshaw”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Very nice natural area with lots of birds and some wildlife. One tip though make sure top shop around rickshaws before choosing as we paid 3 times more than other guests.

Visited May 2014
New Delhi, India
38 attraction reviews
“Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary Dec'13”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Very disappointing. Very little water all around, and very few birds, hardly visibel without bionoculars.

Visited December 2013
Noida, India
64 attraction reviews
“bird watch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

we moved in a battery operated cart provided by forest department.It was fantastic to see variety of birds in their natural habitat.it was early season and many new birds were still to come.greatly enjoyable trip

Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
1,863 reviews 1,863 reviews
1,650 attraction reviews
1,043 helpful votes 1,043 helpful votes
“Great in the afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Closest major city is Agra 45km away, or you can visit from Bharatpur. The world heritage listed Keoladeo National Park is home to over 300 species of bird. To get the most out of your visit it is best to hire a rickshaw. The drivers are incredibly knowledgeable and will spot and identify birds on your behalf. My driver kept saying "good luck, good luck" making out what we were seeing was highly rare. I was there late afternoon and at dusk literally hundreds of birds take to the skies. Most remarkable sight were the painted cranes, enormous prehistoric looking birds, precariously nesting atop fragile trees. Besides birds, look out for Deer, Monkeys and Jackals. The 200Rs charge for video is too much. There was a lot to see when I went in December.

Visited December 2013