“Not bad for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indus

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Indus to your Saves list
Hotel Indus
211/3 Car Parking Road | Opp. Golden Temple, Galiara, Amritsar 143001, India   |
Ranked #48 of 70 Hotels in Amritsar
London, UK.
“Not bad for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

We just turned up at the hotel at 9am asking if they had rooms. Luckily for us they did. Initially we were not too impressed with the rooms but once we had settled in we were fine. We did view rooms in other hotels nearby but nothing was as good as this one. Rooms were clean, staff were nice, service was good. The roof terrace has fantastic views of The Golden Temple, it's so close you can hear the music being played in the temple. The location is excellent with the temple about a minutes walk away and lots of good shops nearby. When booking go for a front facing room on the 3rd floor as these rooms have views of the temple. From the 2nd floor down the view is lost behind other buildings. For the price we paid I can't really fault the hotel.

• Liked — The location is great
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about really.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

My wife and I are in our 70's and have spent about nine months in India, spread over 20 years so we have seen the good and the bad. This hotel must be rated as 'Very Good - if not excellent'. Yes, the rooms are small, but, being new, they are in pristine condition with good fittings. High quality bathroom fittings all work (amazing in India) and there was plenty of hot water, when you wanted it. The staff are most friendly, helpful and very efficient. Room cleaning, bed making, etc were well done. Our pick up from the railway station worked perfectly.
Kitchen staff are trying hard and learning but breakfast can be something of an adventure as their English is limited. Most useful tip - ring down to reception from your room about ten minutes before you want it to order breakfast on the terrace. That way you will find someone who understands English.
Reception will be most helpful in guiding you on local prices, where to eat, and organising cars, taxis etc.
Try to get a third floor front room if you want a view of the Temple.
The three partners who own the hotel have made it an excellent choice. The test will be whether they can keep it up.

• Liked — Clean, good outlook
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

First off, the location is stunning and the price is ok. However, the rooms are barely acceptable at best. One of the biggest problems is that there is no AC that YOU can control.......it is all controlled by the front desk. Luckily, the fan worked ok so that kept me from expiring in my room. And the AC they turn on is so cold that it feels like you are inside a freezer. The water from the faucet barely worked and the "super deluxe" rooms were anything but super. The size of the room was quite, quite small. With my suitcase in my room I barely could move around. The walls are as thin as a paper dosa and you could hear everything. The staff is very, very nice and always willing to help. Had it not been for the sincere kindness of the front desk I would've rated this place "terrible". If you're willing to sacrifice comfort for location, this is an ok spot, but if you are searching for a something beyond a 2 or 2.5 stars hotel, keep looking.

• Liked — the kind staff...
  • Disliked — inconsistencies in what was told to me, language gap, size of room, noise inside hotel, NO AC!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a night during mid February with my girlfriend. I'm a semi-backpacker type- I don't stay at the cheapest hostels with shared bathrooms and don't usually stay at the expensive four and five stars. My girlfriend is very picky about cleanliness so we spend a lot of time trying to find good mid range hotels. My girlfriend was very pleasantly surprised by this place. It's clean and has hot water. It's super convenient, right next to the Golden Temple. Our room had a view. You can also go to the rooftop of the hotel for a nice view of the Golden Temple.

This is a new hotel property so the owners were very helpful and enthusiastic in helping you; they want good word of mouth. Jasdeep was on duty when I was staying there and he helped me get taxis and made good recommendations for what to do, where to eat, etc. He gave me advice on how much things should cost so that i wouldn't be ripped off.

I got an airport pickup and drop-off through this place, which was helpful. The lonely planet warns you about scams in India where people will try to divert you from your planned destination to a place where they will get commission. After I got off the plane and was exiting the airport, a real airport official acted all helpful and asked where I was going. He helped me "call the hotel" and told me that for some reason they were not coming anymore. Lucky I decided to go out and check anyway b/c my hotel pickup guy was outside with a placard with my name.... so be careful of scams. (In Delhi India, I was literally right outside the door of a recommended travel agency, and a guy right outside the door said that the office was only for reservations and I had to go next door for information. I was fooled for maybe 5 seconds before I decided to go inside anyway to check if that was true. I'm glad I went in b/c the guy outside was giving wrong info.... so be careful).

Anyway, I was traveling all around in India and Amritsar was my last city before heading back home to Hong Kong. I appreciated the hassle free nature of this hotel and the honesty and niceness of the operators of this hotel. And the price is definitely very good for what you get (clean room, hot water, people to ask about travel advice). When I was there I asked about the nightly Pakistan/India changing of the border guard ceremony. The hotel helped me get a ride there and the ceremony was interesting to see; I would recommend checking that out beside the Golden Temple.

• Liked — Convenience and value, hot water
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
C.B.D, NAVI MUMBAI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

I visited Amritsar for the first time, having no idia at all about the place, but i m glad that the experince i had was superb bcos of the hotel i stayed in.. very comfotable and cossy beding.. and friendly staff and located right in front of the golden tempel and the terece will give u the amazing view of the tempel..
I will like to recomand this hotel to all those people visiting
amritsor to make their visit an amzing experience...

• Liked — Beding
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

what a discovery this was! Whilst going through Tripadvisor.com I came across this lone listing under the B&Bs / Inns section for Amritsar. After having exhausted the list of hotels I was unable to make up my mind on a hotel to book rooms for a night for my complete family at the holy city of Amritsar. The single largest motivator and reason behind visiting this holy city is for the Golden Temple - one of the most beautiful & historic places of worship for the Sikh religion. Indus offers an unparalleled view of the Darbar Sahib from its front facing 3rd floor rooms and terrace without compromising on worldly comforts and amenities. I booked the hotel at a discounted fare of about INR 1500 or about US$38 for a night, without any meals. The rooms were small but more than compensated by excellent interiors and comfort. There are 3 joint owners - Jasdeep, Kapil & Vishal and at least one of them is always present in the hotel. The staff was courteous and helpful. I am glad that I stayed at Indus and hope to stay there whenever I visit Amritsar next unless they loose their focus and the motivation to maintain a beautifully created place to stay.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Indus? Share your experiences!