“Wow” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

How can you say 'wow' about a place that is little more than a hole-in-the-wall type restaurant? I suppose the name gives away the fact that this is not a plush restaurant although it does have two sides, the non-AC and the one we cool-loving-foreigners went to. Our guide, Gurinder Singh Johal, took us there and I'm glad he did, I'd never have had found it without him.

The food was great, especially the Shahi Paneer and the Laccha Paratha. I hadn't eaten one of my rotis and it had gone cold, something I'm used to, but the waiter insisted he replaced it free of charge with a hot one. Amazing service, never had that before.

This place is my sort of place. If you like places like Karim's in Delhi you'll love it here. With five of us eating it was a nice surpised when I only had to pay £8 - for all of us.

A good point to note is that the place was spotless and no-one in our party had any tummy problems afterwards.

Visited August 2011

New Delhi
“Authentic Punjabi Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

If one is traveling to Amritsar, this place calls for at least one visit.

It offers a authentic punjabi food, and that too in a real environment.

Reaching this place is little tricky, as one needs to cross all narrow and congested streets of Amritsar.

Sitting arrangement is of a typical dhaba, but still recommended of authentic punjabi food it offers.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Legendary but needs serious upgradation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Punjab is the land of Dhabas and Kesar is definitely one of the better ones. But being a non-veg freak, I could not enjoy their butter loaded Dal and Roti as much as I should have. Also location wise, it needs a little more refurbishing. Average is my take on it.

Visited April 2011
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Very tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I was at Kesar da dhaba, yesterday.

Now I am from Jodhpur, so I am not alien to food rich in "pure ghee". But Kesar da dhabba does live up to the reputation.

The food was tasty, a little spicy and cooked in lot of ghee. Yet the cost of food is definitely minimal. The ambiance is rustic, so if you are one of those sophisticated people this place is not for you. You get a taste of Punjab in every bite.

We went in the evening, and menu was not very elaborate. There were about 5-10 curries to choose from, which was more than enough for me as I am not very choosy. I loved the Sarson ka saag, palak paneer, and daal.

Unfortunately they didn't have makki ki roti available when I was there, something that everyone who comes to Punjab for the first time must try.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sao Paulo, SP
“Don't be set down by the appearance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We went to try out Kesar da Dhaba but the first time we got there, we questioned ourselves if that simple restaurant could be the one we read on Tripadvisor. We decided to go to another one that day because we weren't too sure if that was really the one.

The next day, we made sure we were at the correct place and went in. The place is very very simple with marble tables and wooden benches. Even thought they spoke nothing of english, the service was good and the waiter was patient and tried to understand us at all costs (which is great when you don't speak the language and you don't know the name of the foods)

The food was amazing! The Prantha Alluwala was the best prantha ever and everything was cooked perfectly. We actually had the chance to go and see the kitchen after the meal and it is all very authentic! It still looks like a restaurant from 100 years ago but the food is just as amazing as it must have been back then.

The problem is how to get there. The address is totally useless since it is in the alleyways and the best way to find the place is to take a tuk-tuk and ask him to take you there. For those who like to have an idea where they are going, I marked the spot on the GPS and the coordinates are 31.624373,74.872618. Enjoy

• Visited October 2011