“value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 68 hotels in Amritsar
delhi
“value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

we had stayed in this hotel from 14th aug. to 16th aug.they had provided ac vehicle for pick up and drop .rooms were clean .central ac system was very good .they had back up in case of power failure.staff was courteous and helpful. food was very good .only the breakfast needs more veriety .we enjoyed our stay and will recommend to our friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Turkish first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Booked at last minute after a quick review of hotel prices and facilities. This hotel is very close to the train station and in a busy area. Location was ok, we could get around easily, and were close to other restaurants for dinner options. Room was well equipt, with all facilities advertised and the most comfortable matteress I have slept on in India. There was a plasma TV and decent bathroom facilities. Staff were good, and helpful, and I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Ahmedabad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

What does a traveler, with the purpose of exploration of a city, expect from a good stay at a hotel? Basic Amenities, a few luxuries, plus good prompt service. That is exactly what we got. I traveled with my mother to the city to visit the monumental sites of The Golden Temple & The Jalianwala Bagh. Our requirement was to spend the night in the city at a good hotel with a deluxe air-conditioned room, & have a good hearty dinner & breakfast.

Upon arrival, we checked in, & went to The Orchid Restaurant (which is the hotel's multi-cuisine restaurant, & is pretty good i tell you) to have our dinner. We had some great food, surprisingly (Which met high standards for the indian taste buds) & moved back to our rooms for a good night's sleep. The Air-conditioning was excellent & the rooms were spacious with ample room to breathe in & a great cushioned bed. We had our complimentary breakfast the next morning, before our trip to the Golden Temple & were heartily satisfied with the early morning meals on offer, with a choice of south indian, north indian & continental complimentary breakfast to choose from.

At the end of it all, around 12.15pm. when we were to check out, I asked at the reception if they could assist me in offering services for ironing my shirt. They immediately sent someone over at my room to collect my shirt & I received it back in ten min. I'd even asked for 2 bottles of mineral water at the reception desk the other night, which I received in less than 5 min.

If you are traveling, & seeking a good hotel, without expecting the luxury of a resort, but wanting to find certain basic luxuries and a spacious well air-conditioned room to live in, with good food, room service & a nice TV to keep you entertained, take my advice & book your next stay at this hotel. It's perfect for the fast-moving traveler & not that expensive!

• Stayed July 2009
Mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

We were to spend 2 nights in Amritsar in this hotel in the last week of May. I was very very worried on how the hotel would be because of some of the extreme negative reviews of the hotel on this portal and because i was travelling with the family. I selected this hotel because of the attractive cost of rooms and nearness to the temple.

We reached the hotel at 2:00 PM from Dalhousie. The hotel guys had already called me up at 11:00 AM asking for confirmation for my stay and I told hem that I would be reaching at 2:00 PM. This was in-spite of me sending a mail on the arrival time a day before. Thank god, i was in a signal zone. The hotel is so full that you need to verify your arrival time on the date of arrival. While checking in, i heard the owner telling the manager to release a few booked rooms to walk in guests in spite of the manager having taken confirmations.

The check in was ok, although i was surprised to see only a lady with a 2 yrs old kid sitting at the counter surfing on the net (probably owner's wife) and least interested in finding out what i want. The manager was on the other side of the counter talking on the phone. I managed to realise this by his uniform and then waited for a good 5 minutes for his call to end to ask him about my room. Not a very warm welcome. Nevertheless, we got the room quickly and the luggage was shifted into the room immediately.

Something about the hotel. This hotel is on the main road which is very busy, and if you are unfortunate to have the front side rooms, it can be very noisy. Moreover, the 3rd floor of the hotel is recently renovated and has very good interiors (pics attached) whereas the 2nd and 1st floor rooms are older. So actually we were lucky to get a room on the 3rd floor. We were in a studio which had a LCD TV, AC, Fridge Tea / Coffee Pot etc. However, we realised in the evening that there was some problem in the AC and the room was not getting cold. I called up the house keeping which took some time to come to the room. To be on a safe side i also called up the reception and told them to change the room.

The guys checked the AC and found out that there was indeed a problem. I was really fortunate that they had a spare room on the same floor which was vacated some time back and they gave me this room after cleaning it. However, another problem in the new room was that 4 out of the 6 lights did not work at all. I really had to remind the maintenance and the reception 5-6 times to do something about it. We wanted to visit the golden temple in the night and we left after telling the reception about this problem, fortunately, by the time we came back, this problem was rectified. I was however surprised to see that the room which we vacated was immediately given to a walk-in guest, a very unpleasant feeling.

We came back at around 11:00 PM and when we were going up the room, i saw the hotel manager and a few of his guys getting Beer bottles and opening them at the reception counter itself. Not a very comforting sign especially when you have family with you. Their reception lobby is filled with people who just sit there and stare at the guests who walk in and out.

Fortunately the AC in the new room worked very well, Amritsar was at 38 degrees. However, there was power failure in the night. I called up the reception and they told me that it is a central problem and they are resolving it. They took care of it in the next half hour.

The next day was without any hiccups.

The rooms were clean, towels fresh and bed sheets clean too. I guess this was because of their newly renovated floor. However the guys are very poorly staffed and they could do with a few more guys who actually pick up the housekeeping calls when we call them. On the second day, they had not kept soaps in the room and after calling them thrice (no one picked up), i decided to unpack one of my luggage to trace an un-used one with me.

They have a restaurant which serves good food. However, their complementary breakfast is horrible. They also took a good 40 minutes to get me one in the restaurant (mind u the restaurant was empty at 10:30 AM) and when i asked them about the delay, they told me that they are loaded with room service calls. Not a very pleasant thing to hear.

They have an Ice Cream Parlour outside which is really very good and we went there 3-4 times and the stuff was really good and economical.

The hotel is very close to the station and the temple and you get autos from outside. Hotel also calls for taxis in case you want them and i had no issues with this service.

The main issue with this hotel is that it is very economically priced (I spent 1550/- per night for studio) and hence it is always full and so the quality of service is wanting. I would rather pay a bit more and ensure that there are no hiccups, especially if i am with the family on a vacation. Their newly renovated rooms are good (3rd Floor), but you need to be lucky to have them alloted. I could not see the 2nd floor rooms.

So i guess you have to be lucky to have a good stay here. If every thing works in your room, you are on. If you have problems, mind you their house keeping support is very poorly staffed and you may have to really fight with them to have the things rectified. By the time we checked out, the three of the four lights which were rectified gave in. It is more like a smart hotel where you get the room keys and they see you only when you check out, you manage rest.

Will i stay here again ? If alone and with a limited budget, yes. If with family, I may look out for better options. But yes, my stay was not as horrible as what a few of the guests who have posted their reviews here have had. I thought i will write a detailed review so that you call can take a call on the hotel.

• Liked — Value for the Room
  • Disliked — Poor Service and Response Time
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed in Amritsar for one night I went back to Delhi. I picked this hotel on the strength of the positive TripAdvisor reviews - but I wish I had paid more credence to the bad reviews!! My main complaints are:

= The bathroom smelt pretty bad, and the towels were damp and noticeably stained. I'm not too sensitive to stuff like this, but my girlfriend was disgusted - not a good start to our stay.

= The hotel was quite noisy - The floor isn't carpeted, and we were kept awake by noise from downstairs until about two in the morning (despite having a room at the back of the hotel on the third-floor !)

= I didn't much like the atmosphere on arriving at the hotel late at night. Reception was occupied by several rather disinterested-looking young men sitting around and staring at us as we checked in (presumably friends or family of the owner) - we didn't feel at all welcome.

= the lobby toilets were simply disgusting - floor was basically awash with urine (sorry, i know that's a pretty horrible image - it was worse to actually be there !)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Rooms are perfectly designed for comfort. All amenities provided, as per our requirement. Services are very prompt. Hospitality of all the staffs and management are very cordial. Breakfast options are nice.

Only one request to improve, please provide shower gel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

We stayed there for 1 N & 2 D. The hotel is really neat and clean. Rooms are spacious. Very comfortable stay. Excellent for the price.
One of the best hotels to stay in amritsar.

• Liked — The rooms were really clean and very comfortable.
  • Disliked — The waiters/room service guys knock and just walk in but i guess you expect such things in these hotels.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Shiraz Regency? Share your experiences!