“WIFI and Bar!” 4 of 5 stars

Queen's Road | Opp. Railway Station, Amritsar 143 001, India   |
Ranked #37 of 70 Hotels in Amritsar
“WIFI and Bar!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

The Grand Hotel is an old hotel near the train station in Amritsar. It looks a bit shabby in places but the room itself was very nice and spotlessly clean. There didn't seem to be hot water in the room but you could call reception and ask for a bucket of it I believe, which is what the people in the room next to me did. All rooms are on the inside of the hotel so it is quiet and there is a garden, with lawn which is nice to sit around. I had dinner at the hotel every night and the food was good. In fact I had one of the best chicken tikka masalas that Ive ever had there. The hotel has WIFI which is a real bonus in India. It costs two hundred rupees a day but it is worth it in my opinion. My room cost twelve hundred rupees a night which included taxes. There are rickshaws outside the hotel who will take you to the sights including the golden temple for around fifty rupees each way. The hotel also organise a tour which takes in the border ceremony, the mother temple and the golden temple at night for a total of five hundred rupees. The final bonus is that this hotel has a bar! Kingfisher is available on tap for seventy rupees a glass - a schooner for you Australians reading - which was great for me as I hadn't had a beer in three weeks in India.
All of the staff I came into contact with were very professional and friendly and I would definitely stay there again if I was in Amritsar.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

For me The Grand Hotel was a welcomed oasis! Although there were renovation works going on at the time I visited, it didn't really affect my stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable, staff approachable and best of all it has a wonderfully quiet garden in the centre... which for a few hours can be such a welcomed retreat from the city!
I would also recommend the evening trip to the temple/boarder ceremony which the hotel runs - a nice way to get orientated in the city and meet fellow travelers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Staying in grand hotel was a pleasant experience.ideally located,walkable distance from station.courtyard & garden gives you old world charm not found in new hotels these days.staff was friendly & helpful.place was clean.draught beer was really nice & there is a nice outdoor area to relax.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Of all the hostels we stayed at on our trip around northern India, this was probably the most expensive hotel room per night (1,300 rupees) with the least going for it. The rooms all open into a corridor that faces the courtyard, so the window isn't really a window that allows for direct sunlight. Our room was on the second floor, and it was basic, with working A/C, but the sheets felt a little damp and musty the whole time we were there. The hot water from the shower wasn't the most consistent, and the shower head was quite clogged up that the water was spewing everywhere except on the right places. We also saw weird chunks of dirt come out of the hot water, which could've been due to the construction happening on site. The staff were helpful and friendly, though, and the restaurant food was decent but not the best (especially since you're in Amritsar!). Overall, this was an OK option, but we wouldn't recommend it to friends - there's gotta be better choices in Amritsar!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

About the only thing this hotel has going for it is its proximity to the railway station. I stayed here as a part of an Intrepid group tour of Northern India. My room was basic and cleanish, but other people of my tour had problems with their rooms being dusty from renovations of adjacent rooms. I found it very hard to unlock my door as my key was so worn. The electricity also kept going on and off (which I guess affected the neighbourhood) but the hotel has generators which kicked in after a couple of minutes. Luckily my air conditioning worked as it was 40+C degrees outside. My room was quiet.

It was the lowest standard of hotel we stayed at on our whole trip

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I have travelled to Amritsar for the first time. It is a very calm and pleasant environment . The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly , they do their level best to make our stay comfortable ... The best thing about this hotel is that it is only 2mins walking distance from the station which was very convenient for me .. The owner MR. Sanjay kumar arranged a car for us to go to The Golden Temple which was amazing ... Food was good with alot of variety in their restaurant ...My thanks to the staff of Grand Hotel for making me a lifetime repeat customer.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Would not recommend this hotel. Staff were rude and unhelpful, we got woken up at 2am by a wake-up call that was intended for another room! When we came to complain, we didn't even get an apology, instead we were rudely told that it couldn't have happened!!
Restaurant was overpriced and had stingy portions. Don't stay here, it's pretty awful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!