“Friendly Accommodation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 77 Amritsar B&B and Inns
North Shields, United Kingdom
“Friendly Accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and have no complaints about the hotel or the staff. The owners and all other staff that we encountered were very helpful to make our stay to our satisfaction. The room was clean with complimentary tea, coffee, water each day and a selection of snacks available upon our arrival.

The hotel only used purified water in the kitchen so this gave us confidence in dining here on two of the nights and were very impressed when the waiting staff brought our food wearing disposable plastic gloves and a head cover which shows attention to food hygeine.

The room was quiet with no noise from the front street and is only 50m from one entrance to the Golden Temple as quoted on the hotel's website.

I would recommend this hotel for a friendly stay and consider it to be good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a perfect mid-range hotel. We stayed in an executive room for 2 nights in November and loved it. After reading other reviews about the hotel being difficult to find we requested that they collect us from the station - the rickshaw driver was waiting for us as we got off the train.
Rooms were small but clean and there was hot water available 24 hours from the geyser in the bathroom. The staff were all wonderful and extremely friendly. We gave some laundry which came back washed and ironed at a very reasonable price. We did not book the taxi to Wagah Border with them as it was outside our budget but there was no problem with this - they happily advised us where we could go to get a shared taxi.
The best thing, by far, about the hotel is its location. It is less than 5 minutes walk from the Golden Temple so we were able to go 3 times in a day to see the temple which was a wonderful experience.
We did not eat any food at the hotel so we can't comment on that. The only negative thing about the hotel is that the room had no window and was very stuffy. Each time we entered the room, it was very hot despite it being cold outside. We felt like we needed to leave the fan on while we were out just to keep the air circulating.
I would not hesitate to stay here if I was to visit Amritsar again. There are other guesthouses in the area but none of them look as good as here - you would need to compromise on location of you wanted to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are not needed in winter - just stay in a deluxe room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangalore, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

For the first time I had a bad experience at a hotel after carefully selecting it through Trip Advisor (Ranked #1).
Cons: Hotel doesn’t have a lift. My mother is having joints pain and we visited Amritsar after trip to Vaishno Devi so you can understand my pain.
Rooms are small and they have provided mini fridge to cramp it more. Do you need it??
Bathroom looked clean but we found lots of bugs roaming inside later on.
There’s no restaurant in Hotel. So if you want something to eat they will get it from nearby restaurant which will take 30 mins to 1 hour.
They got us taxi booked for trip to Wagah border who charged us 1200 Rs which we later on found out was very high.
Only advantage is its closeness to Golden Temple, but you will find many hotels close to Golden temple. So I don’t think that should be a great reason for choosing this Hotel.
I’ll suggest others to visit the hotel once before doing the booking, otherwise you will regret it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gurgaon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I visited Amritsar during Diwali and stayed in the hotel. There were four of us and we booked two executive rooms. The rooms were small but clean. The hotel is only 2 mins. away from the Golden Temple and yet is not in a noisy locality. As a result, it was unusually quite during Diwali. The manager and all the staff members were extremely helpful and courteous. The rooms had free WiFi access with strong signal and good speed. The only hitch was lack of knowledge of the staff members about the kitchen menu and the limited menu options. We ordered a plate of omlette with toast for breakfast in two consecutive days. We were given two pieces of bread in the first day but four pieces in the second day! Also, it would be good if healthier options like oats (already in the menu) can be made available. All in all, a good place to stay in spite of some minor glitches.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here for one night in Nov,12. Booked two executive rooms. Rooms and bathrooms were well cleaned. Golden Temple is just 5 minutes walk away from hotel. So got a chance to see the temple at night as well.If you are checking-in late in the evening as we did, you must check out the temple at night. it looks mesmerizing.Hotel staff is very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I visited Amritsar and stayed at Hotel Akaal Residency for three nights in late September 2012.
As usual, I based my choice on the comments left on TripAdvisor and some other sites.

I booked an Executive room, and I was given room 106. The hotel is located in a secondary street, which soon proved to be a positive aspect, as the bigger streets, in the area, even just a few hundreds metres away, tend to be rather busy and noisy.
I'm a light sleeper, but my room was quiet, and I never had any problem sleeping during my stay, even in the afternoon.

When I arrived at the hotel from the airport, I was offered a welcome drink (needless to say, I appreciated the kind gesture), and a basket full of complimentary snacks. Another basket was left in my room the following day.

Both the room and the bathroom were extremely clean. I hadn't noticed it initially, but there was a small water heater in the bathroom (I think it's called "geyser" in India), so hot water was "guaranteed" at any time; all I had to do was turn it on some minutes before taking a shower.

I often had to connect my laptop to the Internet from my room, and the free WiFi access had a strong signal and a good speed. The laundry service was inexpensive, and my clothes were washed, ironed and returned quickly.

The Golden Temple is literally 4-5 minutes' walk away (and I suggest visiting it also at night, when it's particularly beautiful). The day after my arrival, I went to the Wagah border (as I had planned) to see the well-known ceremony, and the staff arranged the tour for a reasonable price. A driver took me there and back, and along the way he also showed me a couple of other temples.

The manager and all staff members were very nice and welcoming; it was evident that they wanted to make me feel "at home", not only in the hotel, but also in a city I had never visited before, and I really appreciated their genuine hospitality.

I would definitely stay at Hotel Akaal Residency again, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here for one night and enjoyed our stay the location to the golden temple is fantastic. This is the most frantic city in India that I went too. If you are coming Into the city make sure u call them and get them to pick u up. We didn't know about this and walked thru the masses and its not close to where the police stop all traffic. Makes sure to go to the golden temple this is an amazing place and you can feel the spiritual impact as soon as u enter and make sure to eat at the free kitchen or langar it's delicious and clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to HOTEL AKAAL RESIDENCY? Share your experiences!