“International standard” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Amritsar

You added Hyatt Amritsar to your Saves list
Hyatt Amritsar
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   MBM Farms, G. T. Road | Alpha One City Center, Amritsar 143001, India (Formerly Ista Amritsar)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Amritsar
Brussels, Belgium
“International standard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Located a bit outside away from the noisy and dirty old city (which is good!!) this hotel offers international standard. Very tasty food in an excellent restaurant. The staff is extremely polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
G M, General Manager at Hyatt Amritsar, responded to this review, September 10, 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the onset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking out your valuable time in evaluating our product and service. We are delighted to read your great comments about our hotel and are happy to know we were able to deliver to you the Hyatt service standards we pride ourselves on. It is our constant endeavor to make our esteemed guests stay memorable. Your compliments have been passed on to the team here and specifically to the chefs, whom you felt deserved recognition for the services provided to you during your short stay with us.
We look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits and assure you of our best services at all the times.

Bhagwan Balani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Chandigarh, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Ista Hotels was far far better. The service used to be impeccable but ever since it was bought by Hyatt things have really taken a downturn. No ACs in the corridors and elevators its so stifling hot that you feel suffocated. The staff at the reception have no clue whatsoever about what's happening, what are the bookings and what not...Three rooms on the same booking with the same package and checkout done and they still have questions as to whether breakfast was included or not. Worst 5 star hotel experience ever. Will think twice before spending so much to stay here again. Rooms

Room Tip: I doubt there is any good room..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
G M, General Manager at Hyatt Amritsar, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the onset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking out your valuable time to share your feedback. I am extremely sorry for the poor experience that you had during your stay .The points highlighted by you are understandably quite disconcerting. I have taken a careful note of your comments and have initiated the necessary steps to ensure that such incidents are not duplicated with any of our guests in future. I assure you that your recent experience was certainly not reflective of our usual service standards for which we are known for. I assure you that such an incident will not be repeated with any of our esteemed guests.

Request you to give us another chance to make up for this experience of yours by visiting us once again and allow us to serve you better, this time.
I and my team look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back and hearing from you soon.

Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

On a short break we visited Amritsar for a quick 3 day well set agenda - Wagh Border retreat, Golden temple by the morning and night, shopping at the old city and local food!. We flew in from Delhi and checked in at the newly setup Hyatt Amritsar. Having stayed at other hotels in the city, Hyatt was certainly a notch above - smart lobby, well designed interiors, friendly staff & next to a new large mall. Located at the new corner of the city, the rooms are well designed to optimize space and chic. Breakfast was lavish with very good staff and management even over huge weekend rush - make sure you come in early if staying over the weekend. The individual floor passages are not air-conditioned which was surprising. A regular pickup from the airport for guests would be in line with the city culture. Security checks could get a bit taxing when coming in regularly - but then the paranoia is valid. A stronger check-in and a tourist centre would be convenient. The hotel certainly pushes up the experience in the city, but has more to go when compared to the established Hyatt hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the outset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking out your valuable time in evaluating our product and services. I am glad to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us. Your feedback with regards to the air conditioning at the floor passage has been noted.
Your compliments have been passed on to the team here and specifically to the Food and Beverage and the Kitchen team whom you felt deserved recognition for the services provided to you during your short stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back and assuring you our best services at all the times.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt for a business meeting. A brief summary of my trip is lister below.

Facilities: The rooms were comfortable, but not large. Bathroom was also well laid out. The hotel had a very nice gym and pool. There is also a large mall walkable from the Hyatt.
Checkin: Checkin was quick and comfortable. We had a meeting coordinator and that helped get better service
Food: Food was good. Breakfast had a wide selection of Continental, North and South Indian fare. Buffet options for lunch and dinner were extensive
Service: I experienced very good service when I stayed there both from housekeeping and at the restaurant. They were quick and courteous
Sightseeing: They had arranged for a guide named Raj for our tours. He was very knowledgeable and made the trips to the border and the Golden Temple enterntaining

Overall, I had a good experience at the Hyatt. Only a couple of things bothered me there - I wish they had hot water in the shower (and not lukewarm water).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the onset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking out your valuable time in evaluating our product and services. I am glad to learn that you had a comfortable stay with us as it is our constant endeavor to make our guests stay memorable and enjoyable. Your compliments have been passed on to the Housekeeping and service team, whom you felt deserved recognition for the services provided to you during your short stay with us. Your feedback with regards to providing hot water in the shower has been noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We so stayed here for 2 nights after 1 month roaming through India, keen to see the Golden temple & Wagah border. It was perfect for our needs, which was to rejuvenate ourselves before a long flight home.

We liked the location, which was right next to a large Western-style mall, with a food court, supermarket and clothing stores. Other than this, you had to organise a driver/taxi to go anywhere else.

Our room, whilst not huge, was enough for what we wanted it for - a place to sleep and shower. Everything was spotlessly clean, with good supply of various teas and coffee. Bed was very comfortable and aircon cool and quiet.

We ate at the restaurant for 2 buffet breakfasts and dinner one evening. A wide selection of foods to satisfy most tastes. Service at the restaurant was stellar, particularly when dealing with a minor complaint we had. Very friendly and polite.

Pool was OK. Shame it closes early around 7pm I think. Would have enjoyed being able to have a dip in the evenings.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and found all staff we encountered to be polite and helpful, from the front desk to housekeeping to the drivers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
G M, General Manager at Hyatt Amritsar, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

Your compliments have been passed on to the entire team and in particular to the service team, whom you felt deserved recognition for the services provided to you during your short stay with us. We are sad to hear that you were given an impression about operational hours of the swimming pool to be upto 7 pm, apparently the swimming pool timing is from 7 am until 8 pm. Do let us know the name of the person who shared with you incorrect information by sending a mail to amritsar.hyatthotels@hyatt.com. Our sincere apologies that due to this information you could not enjoy the pool.

We do hope to hear from you and also hope you will visit us soon.

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

(Amritsar was the third leg of our trip.
We enjoyed the city and its sights.
We visited the Golden Temple at night when it was devoid of the usual tourist crowd. It was a very spiritual experience to us though we are not Sikhs.
Hotel Hyatt was a big letdown. We had come from staying at boutique (unique) style luxury hotels at Rambagh palace in Jaipur and the Leela Palace at Udaipur so I am aware of the potential for comparison. But objectively as a hotel in a city that is between Jaipur and Udaipur in size (population), with its brand name and a 4.5 star rating, it badly (sadly) failed to live up to expectations.
1. Poor ambience and lack of luxuriousness that is expected of Hyatt/similarly rated hotels.
2. Small rooms with sparse, utilitarian furnishing
3. Heavy sliding doors to the bathroom that has a life of its own due to gravity. My daughter's as well as my fingers were caught in it. (Two different rooms) I did notify the front desk about the dangerousness of the door as I was leaving. They said they would take care of it. I hope they did. I am not sure if this is a random fault of the room because it happened in both our rooms. I hope they fix this problem before someone gets seriously injured.
4. Sub par professionalism of the front desk staff. Though they were generally excellent though our stay I want to bring a small incident to point this out.
At the time of checkout after the account was closed and bill paid, the clerk pointed out that there was an outstanding amount of Rs.200 from the minibar in the children's room for a can of almonds. I called out accusingly at my kids "hey who ate the almonds?" When they denied eating the almonds (use anything from the mini bar) I was sure it was a mistake (Knowing them, they always fuss up). This happened in the ear shot of the staff. In better places, at this point, the staff would step up and say sorry it might be a mistake and not restart the billing again for what I would consider an insignificant amount compared to the total amount we spend at this hotel.(And a fraction of what i spend in tips alone during this stay.)Well that was not the case here and he started the billing process all over again. At that point I was a bit disappointed so I said '"Sure I will pay the Rs.200 (@$3.00) but I want you to know I believe my kids!" I think that get the clerk's attention and he said; a bit nonchalantly ok I am not going to bill you. Though the outcome was the same, he missed a step!
I know it is a very very trivial issue. But in the business of hospitality, perception matters a lot. He was correct in asking for the $ 3 but wasted a great opportunity to leave a positive impact in a field where the parent corporation spend millions in ads to attract faithful guests.
On the positive side, the hotel driver who took us to the temple was excellent.
The dinner buffet food at the main restaurant was nice with its variation. The service was very professional too.
I do not think I got my money's worth at this hotel. I think there are only limited alternates in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the onset, would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking out your valuable time to share your feedback. I am extremely sorry for the poor experience that you had during your stay with us. The points highlighted by you are understandably quite disturbing. I have taken a careful note of your comments mainly on bathroom door and overall service experience; necessary steps have been initiated to ensure that such incidents are not duplicated with any of our guests in future. We deeply regret that we fell short in our service and were unable to provide you with the experience we pride ourselves on.

I request you to give us another chance to make up for this experience of yours by visiting us once again and allow us to serve you better, this time.

We all at Hyatt Amritsar look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back and hearing from you soon.

Boston, MA, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I recently visited this hyatt property in Amritsar for a short overnight stay. With great expectations, as one would have from a Hyatt hotel, I arrived at the hotel at 10 minutes after the check-in time and we were asked to take seats and wait. The people at the front desk had no idea what to do as they seemed to be overloaded and inexperienced to handle weekend traffic. And they simply had no response. two and a half hours later, they gave me my room and when I went up to room it hadn't even been cleaned; there was hair on the pillows, used towels in the bathroom and used teabags lying on the sofa. And the story is just starting. It took them half an hour to get it cleaned.
After that ordeal, I was freshening up in my room, someone walked in my room with a key and claimed it was his room. The funny part was that he was sent to wrong room for the second time. But it isn't funny when someone invades your privacy in a hotel especially because of the negligence of the management. They had ONE JOB, just one job after all they had done to the great start to my trip and then they really pissed me off. So I immediately asked for a room change and then they sent someone to change my room to one which was of a downgraded rate and random houses as a view, the exact opposite which I had paid for. It then took them 40 minutes to arrange keys for the new room. The staff including the GM was almost hostile instead of being hospitable. I asked the concierge at night for some nice places to eat around and he started to argue with me that everything shut at 9 (which was obviously not true) and then I figured it out myself.
All this after being a frequent patron of the Gold Passport Membership program. I don't recommend anyone to stay here. I will personally never do it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
G M, General Manager at Hyatt Amritsar, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

At the onset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking out your valuable time to share your feedback. I am extremely sorry for the poor experience that you had during your stay with us. The points highlighted by you are understandably quite disturbing. I have taken a careful note of your comments and necessary steps have been initiated to ensure that such incidents are not duplicated with any of our guests in future. We deeply regret that we fell short in our service and were unable to provide you with the experience we pride ourselves on.

Bhagwan Balani

Been to Hyatt Amritsar? Share your experiences!