“Nice place, people friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ambady Estate
3.5 of 5 Ranch   |   3rd Mile, Pallivasal PO | Pallivasal, Munnar, India   |
Ranked #11 of 66 Specialty lodging in Munnar
Armidale, Australia
“Nice place, people friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed here at the end of November and found the rooms to be clean, well appointed and had everything we needed. Of course the water pressure could have been better in the shower but this is something we experienced throughout our stay in India, so not only this place. The staff couldn't do enough for us and the manager even helped us through the very extensive menu, as there were lots of unfamiliar things there. The food was excellent, and even when we opted for the familiar eggs at breakfast we were offered some traditional food to try as well which we really appreciated, must have the crispy fried veg as an entree, it was REALLY good !!We were a bit sorry we didn't have time to explore more of the surroundings but it would be great if we could get back there soon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011 via mobile

Being in the same industry at Australia,I like the concept followed at this property.The room are massive and spacious.the service provided was also great.The walking tracks and the activities are amazing.Exploring the plantation was the highlight of our stay.the food was also good.we will come back for sure and highly recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2011
Moraira
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I had great expectations of this place but we were all rather disappointed. The rooms were rather shabby (the curtain fell down in the bathroom when I drew it) and there were cobwebs in the shower. The keyrings were made of the thinnest wire imaginable, my key fell off and luckily I saw it. My friends were not so lucky and it turned out there was no spare key. After searching in the dark for half an hour, the staff broke in through the window. One of my fellow travellers (who is a chief health inspector) saw the kitchen and was not happy with the standard of cleanliness.
On the upside, the gardens were very nice and the food was quite nice too (quite nice but not fantastic). Not the highlight of our trip and I wouldn't bother to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Carefully mantained small homestay. Cozy, clean, new cabins, nicly furnitured with beautiful view over the valley. Very friendly owners and staff look after your comfort. Indian and Continental breakfast. The cabins are located in the beautifule, quiet nature in the tea plantations of Munnar.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Ambady Estate is a place which has a power to call you back again and again. We consider ourselves fortunate that we had the pleasure of spending 4 days there.
It was a long search and re-search on internet, friends advise, Travel agents etc, and finally we took the biggest risk of going ahead on our own , by selecting Ambady estate through random internet search and we will never regret it
When I received the first reply email from the hotel Manager Mr. Baiju, I knew it that we are up for one of the best vacations ever. We were lucky that right at the airport, the cab driver who took us to our hotel in cochin, agreed to drop and pick us up from Munnar ,luckily he knew the place as it is before town but on top of a hill and can be a bit difficult to drive up till the reception.Once there, trust me you forget the whole world, you forget who you are, what you do and what problems you may have. You just feel so close to nature, its mystical beauty. We were there in the rainy season but arguably that’s my and my families favorite season. The tea estates were shining green, there was clouds and fog on the hills and once the fog even entered the room in the morning when we opened the back door to the garden.
The Cottage itself is very international, clean, tastefully decorated, on two levels and they fit 4 of us in one with 2 extra beds.Not that we didn’t want two cottages,but we as a family were going on a vacation after years and wanted to stay together. its a place where great stories and novels can be writen.
Staff- excellent, warm, understanding, empathetic. My father was cold so the hotel manager provided him with a shawl for the trip. Yes try and order food well ahead in time as they prepare fantastic food right from scratch.
if you are close to nature and just want peace, Ambady is your place. Well equiped, well serviced.They can also arrange for local drivers to take you around at a very minimal cost.
Don’t miss a trip to 1.Anamudi- the highest peak in South India- you will feel close to god here, its just magical, most moving experience of my life- due to rains there were so many waterfalls etc and the whole city was so cleam and bright soothing green
2.Eravikulam National Park and Kathakali performance (Local folk dance)
Do buy Spices and local handicrafts.
THERE IS A REASON THEY CALL KERALA GOD'S OWN COUNTRY...
thank you Ambady team for our most memorable hoilday ever!! ill be back no matter what .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Very mixed experience .
We were there 2 nights. We had our own driver who knew the place so getting there was enjoyable as tucked away and off the beaten track as it is...otherwise ......we would have never found it.
On the not so good side.
1...The bathroom door handle kept coming off from the inside of the bathroom The first time it came off it took me a while to get out. Though I made comment nothing was done to fix it
2...The rooms had the slightest hint of dampness and tiny bit of moldy odor. This could have been because the monsoons were extended beyond the normal season so it was wetter than normal I was told.
3..Drivers Quarters: This was the biggie for us. We asked to see the drivers quarters as one of our group organizes tours and is always concerned that the drivers also have a good experience . .Accommodation for our driver was apauling. Very small, very dirty room with beds with dirty linen jammed literally right next to each other ....Nowhere to shower or to wash clothes. No food available for him. There was nowhere nearby for him to go and buy a meal. He was not able to eat in the restaurant . This is reprehensible given the remoteness , tourists are unlikely to go there without their own driver who has to stay somewhere. There was nowhere for our driver to park his car overnight. He had to sleep in it. We were told by our hosts that the drivers prefer this...well I would too if my choice was my car or the accommodation they provided. We respected and loved our driver as a person of integrity and felt terrible for him.
4...The waiter who waited on us though very sweet, had very bad under arm odor which would waft out as he lent across the table to place or take dishes. It appeared to be his clothes were the culprit
5...Food took a long to come and dishes were often almost cold.
6...Phone line in cottage was so bad with static it was impossible to us.

On the good side ..
1...Beautiful setting and charming cottages for us guests.
2...Friendly staff .
3...Lovely vision for the future purpose of the property .
4...I left a favorite pair of slacks there and upon my request, they sent them to me in New Zealand .
5. When the food was good it was great.
6...Beverages like fresh juice and a beautiful herbal type coffee they make there were delicious.
7.. Timely room service
8...We left with gifts of cardamom seeds , black pepper and the beverage all grown and dried on the property.
9..Our hosts were very hospitable to us and eager to please us

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed for two nights at Ambady, and had a fantastic time. Thankfully we had hired a local driver who found the Estate with no problems, because I wouldn't have liked to drive on the mountain roads and try and find it myself, nor would I like to negotiate the incredibly steep and winding dirt track up to the Estate itself.

We were greeted by the owners and given a cardamom tea to drink (very sweet, like all Indian drinks, but pleasant). The estate is a working cardamom plantation and only has a few rooms, so there is a real personal touch to the service. We were shown to a little cottage set amongst beautiful plants and trees. The room itself was tastefully decorated and the second day when the room was made up again, the bed was decorated with a floral arrangement in jasmine, honeysuckle and rose petals.

The service was very attentive, although meals did take a while to prepare. However, I think this is because the food is prepared from scratch as there are not a lot of guests who stay at the Estate. I would recommend phoning around an hour before you want to eat, and letting them know what you want. There is a very extensive menu on offer, and a few of the things we asked for were not available. We had a chicken biryani one night which was delicious, and apart from breakfast we stuck to the Indian section of the menu.

Fantastic opportunities for photographs, and a very peaceful setting, a great place just to chill out and relax.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambady Estate? Share your experiences!