“Good Hotel in Portuguese area of Panaji” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Phoenix Inn
93, Nanu Tarkar Pednekar Road | Mala, Fontainhas, Panaji 403001, India   |
Ranked #8 of 47 Specialty Lodging in Panaji
Pushkar
“Good Hotel in Portuguese area of Panaji”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Located in the old Portuguese part of Panjim and owned by Ernesto who previously had Ernesto's bistro down the road, this is a pleasant hotel with a nice veranda, tasteful decor, large and stylish bathroom, with a great power shower. Although I only stayed for one night I enjoyed the stay and the friendly atmosphere of the place

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms with balcony are more 'private'
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hazelton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The hotel is located in a heritage building in the old part of town. My room was spacious with stain glass windows and a large bathroom with good shower and there is an awesome veranda on the upper floor to hang out on. WiFi is good.
My host Vishwanayh was super friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jaipur, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

welll,i stayed at this hotel for 2 nyts in march 1 st week 2013 ,location is great for those who want to roam around panaji,old goa,mandovi river,cruise,casino and market and also fountainhas ,its located just next to the lovely MARUTI temple...the person at the reception was very mannered and helfpul,although i dont remember his name,he arranged for an activa( 2 wheeler),but breakfast was just not good,only BREAD AND JAM WITH TEA/COFFEE..
its great if u want a peaceful,feel at home kinda stay ,not a luxury stay,HOtel has only 5 rooms
PROS:
1)GREAT LOCATION
2)NICE STAFF
3)PEACEFUL
4)CLEAN
5)BIGGGGG BATHROOM

CONS:
1)AVERAGE BREAKFAST OF BREAD AND TEA/COFFEE
2)NO RESTAURANT/PUB/BAR/SWIMMING POOL

Room Tip: suite rooms are good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cadiz, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Me, my friend and my son were at this hotel for 3 nights. I saw pictures before the arrival but I got a pleasant surprise because it was even more beautiful. The building is a great portuguese house and next tto it you can see the beautiful Maruti Temple. We stayed in the room in front of reception. The room is big and the toilet even bigger, kind of morocan style . The shower was great and the bed sheets god quality ones and really soft. The breakfast was ok, lots of toasts with butter and jam and tea or coffee. the balcony were breakfast is served its beautiful with nice views of the quiet area that surrond the place. The center town is within walking distance through really nice portuguese streets. The staff was great and they were really nice with my son and with us. Ernesto, the owner, gave us lots of info about what to see in Panjim also.

I recomend this place 100%. !

Room Tip: the rooms at the top may be nicer because you have the balcony outside your room but the ones dowsta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ratnagiri, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

A very peaceful hotel to stay in Panaji, Good Staff at Hotel Royal Phoenix Inn, Overall it was a great experience and was fully satisfied with the ambiance, cleanliness, staff and facilities.
Would always like to visit back to this place. A typical Portuguese style hotel with large rooms, wooden flooring and colorful windows. The hotel is situated in Panaji city. No Restaurant but can get good tea and breakfast. Flag's Inn is a got hotel in a walking distance of 5 minutes

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite are very good to stay
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you are looking for a room tucked away in a quiet neighbourhood with authentic Portuguese styled bungalow right in the middle of Panaji, Royal Phoenix would be a good value for money compared to other budget hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Generally I have been quite forgiving of places in my trip round India so far, but nowhere has been actually bad. This place was. I prepaid on Pagoda in full so had confirmation, and had been in email correspondence with the owner Ernesto about my late arrival and the checkout time, which I had found in the website to be 11am. My cabbie and I could not find the hotel because, even after looming the next ,morning, it does not appear to have a sign/name on the building, but mainly because the '24 hour reception' was no such thing and the number on my vopkong slop and website was just not answered. After asking a few locals at 1am on the streets, we found the place, which had a handwritten sign on the door with the unanswered number and another number, which the cabbie called and eventually it was answered. A man who had clearly been sleeping answered the door and proceeded to treat me as if I was inconveniencing him by coming to redeem a service I had paid for and had full confirmation of. I told him i had warned of my late arrival and showed him my confirmation slip. He turned to the calendar and said there were no expected bookings, despite being shown my slip. After some huffings and puffings he asked for 2 photocopies of my passport and visa and said I was told on 'the website' I was meant to bring these. This is a lie because I since checked and there is no such mention. Then he said checkout was 10am, which was not true as I had previously seen on the website it was 11am.

anyway, I finally was shown my room which was nondescript, with aircon . the next morning he knocked on my door and came with an apology of sorts, possibly to prevent me writing this review, I don't know. He said he had spoken to his boss, presumably Ernesto, and he had taken the booking, or something, and that the cabbie last night had spoken a different dialect and had been disrespectful, or something. He apologised for the misunderstanding, and asked for my passport so he could copy it himself (no mention of the demand of the photocopies from the night before) and said I could check out later, 11am or something, which was big of him....

Then he brought breakfast which was crap- toast, with butter and cheap jam, and hot water for tea. At least I got 2 teabags I suppose...

Then I went to reception to ask about leaving my bag for the day and he was looking at Agoda reviews of the hotel. He will see this review very shortly there. He was sweetness and light, saying to call if needed a taxi or anything, and helpfully gave me his name so I could shame him in person on here so there is no doubt whom it was who needs to be sacked. It was Vishwanath. I left my bag there for the day and he did not charge me, though when i came back he couldn't/wouldn't make me masala tea, a d even after the appalling service of the previous night would not switch the wireless on for me unless I paid. So I got a can from elsewhere in case he got a kickback from one he called, and got out of there.

You will see from other reviews that I am not a harsh reviewer, but I cannot stand this sort of attitude.don't go there unless there is a change of staff before you do.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Royal Phoenix Inn? Share your experiences!