“There is no place like COCOLOBO in West End, Roatan, Honduras” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocolobo

and 1 more site!
You added Cocolobo to your Saves list
Cocolobo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada Principal at Seagrape Plantation, West End, Honduras   |
Announcement
Group Travel - free room
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in West End
louisville
“There is no place like COCOLOBO in West End, Roatan, Honduras”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Cocolobo was without a doubt, the most relaxing vacation I have ever had in all of my Caribean travels.
The rooms were huge as well as the bed.....and very comfy to sleep in at night. The hammock right outside our sliding glass door on our deck was so comfortable my husband and I could have slept in it all week.

Claire, Rory and Sallie were the BEST hosts imaginable....offering a cocktail each night before dinner in their open air bar overlooking the water and incredible sunsets.

Heidi's breakfasts were incredible. I particularly LOVED the bananna pancakes.

It was the best vacation we have taken in a very long while, and the owners had so much to do with this....their expert advice on what to do and with who was invaluable info.

Do not look elsewhere....Cocolobo is THE place to stay in West End. Crawford Louisville, Ky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

Cocolobo is a lovely, lovely place.

Three large buildings, housing a total of 10 very large guest rooms. Most have wraparound views, and a large terrace space, hammock. Ours had a TV, fridge, some handmade soap, plenty of towels, and a giant kingsize super-comfortable bed.

The decor is spare, and simple. White walls, white rattan or cane furniture, a plain bed with a locally-made spread. Bare floorboards - all the buildings are in plain wood.

Breakfast - fruit, coffee, cereals, and a hot plate made by Haidi: breakfast burritos, or eggs on toast, or banana pancakes. Fresh, homemade granola bread or cakes on Sundays.

Olivia, the housekeeper, was a marvel. Babysitting on tap!

Yoga on the deck on Sunday mornings, and the neighbouring hotel is also a yoga location for the same (excellent, Hatha) teacher, so there's a daily class within 2 mins walk.

Diving - so much to choose from, but we went with Ocean Connections in Half Moon Bay, and had a perfect time. Friendly, one-on-one service, and a superb divemaster/guide (Kent).

Hosts: Rory and Claire - suggested amazing restaurants (particularly the gourmet indian), picked us up at the airport and dropped us off, and shopped for baby supplies and odd food requests (tofu, soy milk) for us.

The bar is now up and running, although a trip to the Sundowners is a must too.

Things to know:
Roatan and its West End is very unspoilt Caribbean. No boardwalks, neon or hawkers here, and as such, often unusual electricity supply, bad television reception and sometimes unreliable weather in rainy season. If you want the comforts of a Westin, don't come here, but if you like authentic caribbean with gorgeous fresh fish and plantain dinners, cold local beers with lime, painted planking houses and no damned jetskis, you're in the right place!

• Liked — Views, location, easygoing attitude, rusticness
  • Disliked — No complaints at all!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

I stayed at Cocolobo for a week in the beginning of September. From the moment my friend and I got out of the taxi, Rory was an awesome and accommodating host. He was invaluable during our stay as a guide to the local activities--more importantly, he's an awesome person with whom to kick back and enjoy a Port Royal by the pool. Sadly, our combined drinking was not able to win us top prize at "Chase the Ace," but I have high hopes for the future. But I digress...
Cocolobo is located a short walk (5 minutes or less) away from the main strip in West End. I have heard reviews that have cited the extremely dark walk home at night and recommended bringing a flashlight, but I found the walk to be reasonably well-lit and could navigate it well enough even after a few Monkey La las at Sundowners. The rooms are large, beautiful, and airy. The one in which we stayed looked out on the ocean, which was a perfect spot to lazy about in the hammock (which we did constantly). The staff was attentive, and Heidi's breakfasts were delicious. Speaking of delicious, Rory went out of his way to cook Mac & Cheese (a special request) of my friend's for her birthday, and set up a laid-back dinner, which was fantastic, at Cocolobo.
I highly recommend staying at Cocolobo if you are looking in the West End area if not for the comfort, proximity, and amenities, then for meeting a great host that clearly cares about his guests.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

I recently spent 4 amazing nights at Cocolobo, and cant express enough how wonderful our experience was. The rooms were clean and cool with a great views of the water, and the infinity pool was a great place to watch the sunset and relax.
More importantly though, Rory was such a great host and went out of his way to make sure that our trip was perfect, from helping us book our sailing trip, to providing medicine when my friend got sick.
We arrived in Roatan with no plans, and had chosen Cocolobo from the guide book with no intentions of staying more than 1 night. Within the minutes of arriving though, we knew that we weren't going anywhere. In fact, it was hard to leave...

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connectict
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

Let me preface this by saying that I have never felt compelled to post a review on Tripadvisor before. My only fear is that by posting a positive review, Cocolobo will become very popular and there will be no vacancy the next time I want to go.

My husband and I stayed at Cocolobo for 5 nights at the end of August, and our stay there was the most relaxing vacation we've ever had. Cocolobo is a beautifully designed hotel -- basically a wooden lodge right on the water. We stayed in the Paya room which has an incredible, panoramic view of the ocean. I'm usually a very active person and treat hotels as just a place to sleep, but found myself spending a lot of time at Cocolobo -- either laying in the hammock on our balcony reading a book or hanging out by the pool in the main lodge. We did manage to rent snorkeling gear and snorkeled right in front of Cocolobo a few times, and usually walked into town a few times a day to shop or go to dinner. There is also a yoga class right in the main building on Sunday mornings, which I enjoyed.

Cocolobo's location is perfect. There is no beach in front, but the beach in the West End is narrow and not that great anyway. You're not missing anything by not being right on the West End beach. The town is a little hectic and always hot, so we always liked being able to get away and relax at the Cocolobo, maybe a 10 min walk away. Because of a shortcut path, it's actually a faster walk to town than it might seem on a map.

Our hosts, Sally and Rory, were amazing... friendly, interesting to talk to, and very helpful. The breakfast every morning was delicious too. Rory also organized and cooked a bbq dinner for all the guests our last night there, which was a lot of fun.

If you're looking for a peaceful, relaxing vacation in Roatan, you should absolutely stay at Cocolobo!

• Liked — location, ocean view, room/balcony, friendly hosts
  • Disliked — wifi didn't work in the room, but worked in the main lodge; pool could be bigger
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

Since this is my first ever travel review it means that something was either well off the shooting range or provided the perfect vacation. I'm delighted to report that Coco Lobo was the latter and provided myself and my boyfriend with everything we were looking for. After a year and a half without a holiday our wishlist was demanding: we were looking for something personal but with an edge to make it a more special experience; a sense of remoteness but with access to activities and a stroll to some bars; world class diving without being subjected to 'my dive story is better/deeper/scarier/more full of sharks than your dive story'; some romance, some adventure and some serious chill-out. I spent alot of time on the internet looking at different countries and accommodation and didn't think we'd ever find what we wanted. But we both agree that we found everything in Roatan and Coco Lobo. The setting close to the West End was perfect for activities, diving, nightlife; the accommodation was ideal for romance, chill out and watching the sunset; and the hospitality was an added bonus that we had never expected. Incredibly welcoming, easy-going and relaxing- It was like visiting old friends. The fact that our hosts Rory and Claire travelled to the other side of the island to return something I had left behind speaks volumes. Great value, setting, ambience and hosting. Thanks for the perfect holiday.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

For starters... The pictures on their website is exactly what you get....Of course the expansive view of the sky and ocean right outside is exactly what one would expect on a holiday to a beautiful island. The rooms where simple, open, spacious and clean.

Cocolobo is perfectly situated away from the main street where all the bars, resturants and dive shops are located. When I say "away" that would be a 4 minute walk. The only comotion you here is the crashing waves on the shore.

Rory, Claire and Sally where great. The type who instantly made me feel like a friend coming for a visit rather than a patron of their lodge. Drinks and great conversation on the deck at sunset just became a necessary part of my day. Additionally, they were very eager to help with whatever arraingments or advise I needed.

Breakfasts which are included were always simple, and good and made with love and a beautiful smile! Make sure you get to try Heidi's banana pancack's , or eggs and refried beans.

In sum, Cocolobo is an excellent value for what you get. This is not necessarily a "backpacker's hostel", but yet not much more than what some were charging, but with a far better atmosphere and location...and of course the view.

Try as I may, I think the only critique I can come up with is the need for stronger coffee in the morning :)

I cant wait to come back!!!

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cocolobo? Share your experiences!