“Beautiful, relaxing, spacious” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Las Orquideas

You added Posada Las Orquideas to your Saves list
Posada Las Orquideas
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada Principal | Half Moon Bay, West End 34101, Honduras   |
Special Rate
Big Low Season Promotion
Ranked #6 of 10 West End B&B and Inns
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful, relaxing, spacious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Someone in the West End told my husband and me about this hotel when we arrived in town and didn't like what we initially saw in the hotels there. We were in Roatan to dive, and we generally rise with the sun and like to get to sleep early after relaxing with a cool drink, so when we saw Posada las Orquideas, we immediately knew it was perfect for us. A short walk from the town center, it's located in a serene and beautiful setting. Every room has a patio or balcony (with hammock) facing the water. We stayed in room 14 (the best one due to its extra window for increased ventilation and third floor view of the water.) In March, we didn't need any AC (it costs extra) but during a summer trip the roof gets pretty hot so I would budget extra if your trip is during the very hot season. The room rates are incredibly reasonable, but if you are on a tight budget, or you don't feel like going into town for every meal, get a room with a kitchenette (which has a coffee maker, gas stove, mini fridge, sink, pots and utensils, and dishes for three.) Stock up on food and mixers for rum drinks at Woody's. There's free wireless but it doesn't always reach to the rooms, so we had to sit on the stairs to check our e-mail, but it's not really too much of an inconvenience. There is another hotel (Posada Arco Iris) close to town that has beach chairs and kayaks available for free for guests of both hotels. The staff has always been friendly and welcoming. We had no trouble contacting the owner regarding reservations (we e-mailed her directly). If you want a relaxed and quiet setting, reasonable rates, and don't mind being out of the town center, then this is the right place for you. My only negative comment is that the room could use a small table for late dinners when mosquitos drove us indoors. But we will continue to book rooms at Posada las Orquideas for all our visits to the West End.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor get a better water view, and #14 is the best because it's on the corner...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Great location on the ocean, away from the noise and bustle of West End.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Posada Las Qrquideas is approx a 10-15 minute walk from the center of West End. The town recently replaced the sewer lines leading to this area of the island (good thing). However, this has resulted in the dirt road being torn up and rain water drainage isn't great. Should it rain the road becomes very muddy and could suck your flip flop right off your foot like it did me.

My room was just as I had expected from the hotel website. Very clean room, cleaned daily, nice bathroom (new, clean, well maintained). Kitchenette was a great add. They provide pots/pans, glasses, cups, utensils, small fridge, coffee maker... Bring matches to light the gas stove burners. The mattress was clean but somewhat lumpy and worn. The best room is #14. It's on the 3rd floor but the attached photos show the view from the porch. All the other rooms have inferior views and must look over other porches to see the ocean. BOOK EARLY, I was told numerous times that other guests were trying to get this room. The room also has 5 windows not 3 like most others.

I had read earlier reviews about problems with hotel personnel; I thought they were great. They were very friendly, helpful with directions, and followed up on any request I had. I had a family emergency back in the USA while staying at the hotel. The staff left a very detailed message on my door from my sister letting me know what was going on.

So, if you're looking for a quiet, clean, low tech hotel room to escape the world this is a great place. If you want a full service resort, keep looking. No TV / Radio so bring or make your own entertainment. Muddy road was challenging but a funny memory now.

Room Tip: #14 is the best room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during our trip. We tried to book online but never got any reply. Rooms are spacious and clean with big terraces overlooking the sea. We took room without kitchen and we regretted we later realized we would like to make coffee and European style breakfast that is very expensive in West End. We were the only guest in the hotel despite this the staff was terribly lazy and any request took so long time to execute. We were provided with sunbathing chairs on the deck in front of the hotel with access to water. Otherwise you can use chairs of sister hotel Posada Arco Iris in Half Moon Bay. Free internet and decent library was there as well. The hotel doesnt have any restaurant and its a 10 minute walk to nearest restaurant, the way is badly lit and torchlight is recommended. Because of the construction site nearby the road is muddy, there was no noise from the site.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We have stayed in the hotel in July 2010 for a week. I have to say, this is an amazing place if you want to chill out and run away from the crowds. The rooms are huge, so are terraces. Each room gets a private terrace where you can dine and just rock in the hammock. The room had a little kitchenette so we bought fresh seafood and other stuff from the vendours in town and cooked and enjoyed our meal in the terrace. Amazing! The hotel is situated 5mins walk from the town centre which was absolutely great as it was so quiet.

We have been in South and Central Americal for 7 months and I honestly can say that this was the best hotel we stayed in. If I could, I would pack my luggage today and head to this place again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
La Lima, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed at Las Orquidias in West End in March for 5 days and we loved it. The hotel is quite new, with very nice rooms and we also had a fantastic little terrace with a beatiful view over the bay. The hotel is located a little bit outside of West End but it's only a 5 minutes lovely walk to the beach and all the action and restaurants. Personel at the hotel is very nice and helpful - we received great help with their internet service, laundry and tips about what to do in Roatan. I would also like to recommend their sister hotel Arco Iris and their restaurant 'Argentinian Grill', which according to what we learned ourselves, very well might be the best restaurant on the whole island. I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone, young, old, single or married - it's a great place. And don't worry about any practical issues. You will receive complete assistance from the staff at the hotel and at the administrative office down at Arco Iris.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Our room was on the 2nd floor at the very end on the left (#7). The room was great! It was spacious, clean, bright, with lots of windows and great views. If possible try to get this room or the one above it b/c the extra windows make a huge difference. All the windows have screens and there was a great breeze at night so we didn't have to use the A/C.
I recommend reserving a room on the left side of the hotel since the property to the right is undergoing construction. (I couldn't hear any noise at all from my room.)

The bathroom was clean, with nice tiling, and there was always plenty of hot water. The kitchen had a mini-fridge (very convenient). The balcony had a great view and comfy hammock, but was covered (so no tanning), and offered little privacy.
Housekeeping came daily and did a great job.
The hotel was very peaceful and quiet during both the day and night. (It is removed from both the main road and town).

The hotel has a small book exchange as well as free internet. They also sell beer, water, and pop at reasonable prices. There is no beach, but there is a private dock to lay out on. The dock only had 3 beach chairs which were always occupied. The hotel doesn't provide beach towels, so make sure you bring your own.

Location: 5 min walk to town. Although I always had friends walk me back to the hotel I would probably get a little nervous walking back alone at night.

The only negative thing I have to say about the hotel is in regard to the staff. I felt that they were unhelpful, unfriendly, unapproachable, and disinterested. Most of them wouldn't even smile at us. Whenever we approached them with a request or question they made us feel like we were bothering them and we came to dread having any interaction with them.

Overall: I would definitely stay here again. The fantastic room and location more than make up for the unpleasant staff.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#4 of 8 in West End
4.5 of 5 stars 496 reviews

Been to Posada Las Orquideas? Share your experiences!