“A real slice of paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West End
Luna Beach Resort
You added Luna Beach Resort to your Saves list
West End, West End, Honduras   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in West End
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
“A real slice of paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Luna Beach Dive Resort proved to be a great place for our party of 11 to stay in April 2012. They run their own dive shop, fully equipped and run pretty well - including the diver master and the boat captain Amos. My wife and I stayed in a bungalo just off the beach. Beautiful. Many in our party stayed in house 11. Big four bedroom. Nice cabin. All rooms very clean and comfortable.
The restaurant served pretty good food, good breakfast and excellent coffee. The staff was very laid back and accommodating. We had an impromptu party on the dock and some of the staff showed up and partied with us.

It's in a good location too. If you are interested in shopping for art or souveneirs, the west end is a 10 minute walk down the beach and the little town is pretty cool. Good food with some variety (we ate very good Thai food there).

Excellent venue for a dive trip.

The only ding on the trip was the sand fly's. If you don't take precautions - and take them seriously - you will end up covered in itching bites. They can be avoided and you can protect yourself from them to some extent, but not with DEET. DEET is TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE on the sand flys. google 'Roatan' and 'noseeums' for more detail.

Room Tip: for a couple, room K is awesome. house 11 is a nice four bedroom
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fairhope, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Just got back from second trip to Roatan. Stayed at Luna Beach both times because we enjoyed it so much. Quiet and relaxing. The dive operation is top notch especially for beginners. Adam and Amos makes sure everyone enjoys the dives. There is emphasis on safety but I see that as a positive. Our group of four dove all week with three of our group getting advanced certification. Many times we were only ones on boat. Food and drinks are adequate and comparably priced with other places in West End. Sand fleas are bad but mosquito repellent helps a lot. Looking forward to going again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Alberta Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed at Luna Beach from April 7-14, 2012, with my mother and my 10-year old daughter. The hotel was clean, quiet, and the staff was very pleasant. Our room was a dream - no TV, no phone, and a hammock on the front porch - who could ask for more? We spent many evenings reading or playing games on our porch, listening to the geckos serenading us. My daughter loved the resident cats and parrots, and the snorkeling right in front of the hotel was amazing. I haven't seen such bright colours underwater anywhere, and even saw octopus and eagle rays within 40 feet of shore. Wow! All three of us went out on the dive boat to the barrier reef one day - just amazing. Adam and Amos made us feel very comfortable - we only wish we had done it sooner in our vacation, so we had time to do it again! Guess we'll just have to go back!

The walk to and from West End was very safe, even in the dark - take along a flashlight, though, because it's REALLY dark!

Room Tip: We stayed in room B - we had one room with a double bed (and a couch and chair) and a second bedroom...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
hongkong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We came here for my husband to scuba dive. When we drove up to the resort through the lush grounds we were happily surprised. However the lobby and check-in are very basic, and the rooms are honestly not that great at all. Luckily the beach is very nice, which is where I found myself reading and relaxing on the hamock while my husband was diving. What appealed to us what that the location was quite private; it felt like a private beach. You can also swim and snorkel off the dock, which is also a great place to watch the sunset. The West End is within walking distance along the beach so you can bar hop and eat out if you like. With all this going on, we spent very little time in the room, but I would have given this place 2-3 stars if we had to be in the room more.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Teg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I traveled to Roatan for the first time with my husband on April 5th. I had read some awful reviews after booking our reservations on Luna Beach (I know, it should've been the other way around) and I was so anxious that we would not have a pleasant experience. When we got there, I was surprised that everything was better than I could imagine. The hotel was in good condition (It's as fancy as you can get in West End, but I think that they could exploit it more to make it better) and the staff was helpful and nice to us. Our room was clean and tidy, and the A/C worked just fine (contrary to a review I read a while back). In fact at night it got so cold that we had to turn it off and it wasn't noisy at all. The walks along the seashore at night (Luna Beach - West End) were pretty safe even at 2 am - just bring a flashlight to light your way. It was a memorable experience and we will be staying there next time we visit Roatan.

Room Tip: This is not a room tip - but a general tip: My husband got a cut and pretty much everything (includi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

As a new, just certified divers, feeling safe was very important to us. Adam, the dive master, took excellent care of us. On several of the dives it was just myself and 2 friends along with Adam. He gave gentle constructive criticism at the end of each dive. The thing about Adam is that he would follow up after each dive remarking on what we had improved and what we needed to continue working on.
The boat was large with plenty of room for all of our gear. Ferman was a great captain helping us get into our gear and into the water and helping each of us out.
Overall, we had a wonderful, very personalized experience. Thank you Luna Beach crew!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Belize City, Belize
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I have been to over 50 plus countries, 4 the last 3 months and we are not usually ones to complain... HOWEVER, this would probably be the worst place we have ever stayed for the money. Most of the positive reviews were from divers, which I would have to say that this place has a good center, HOWEVER, there are better places to stay with dive centers.
Everyone near us has had to move so that they can accomodate more people then move us back after one day??!!! DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Who stays for one night? And why would they not supply a different room for the ONE night for the other guest?? Not just us, but everyone around us as well. It is what it is?

Room Tip: Ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
spoiled1s, Manager at Luna Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
We are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Possibly next time you should call us directly and make your reservation, we could have accommodated you much better. Going thru an agent LASTminute just before Holy Week, might have been your problem. We had many e-mails thanking us for a great week, sorry you were not one of them.

Been to Luna Beach Resort? Share your experiences!