“Luna Beach is awesome!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West End
Luna Beach Resort
You added Luna Beach Resort to your Saves list
West End, West End, Honduras   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in West End
Vernon, Canada
“Luna Beach is awesome!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

My husband, 18 year old son, friends and myself stayed at Luna Beach for approximately ten days.

Booking
Booking was a peice of cake with Debbie the daughter of the owner of Luna Beach. She made everything run smoothly, and was very helpful with any questions we had. We met her father at the resort, he is such a nice man.

Getting to West End
Luna is a great place to stay, within just a few minutes you go from a quiet relaxing accomodation to a busy area of the West End to the shops and restaurants, The walk from Luna to the West End is a really quick and easy beach walk. Really nice. I would also like to add that it is totally safe and that you can walk on the beach. Everyone is very friendly. If you like you can also stand out on Luna's beautiful dock and get a water taxi into town. I'm not sure of the cost, but I don't think it's very much. They will boat you into the West End if you don't feel like walking or if you have things to carry.

The Hotel
Luna Beach is beautiful, with it's beautiful gardens of Hibiscus trees and palm trees. On site there are quite a few parrots who whistle and talk. They were rescued birds and everyone at Luna cares for them very well. Along with the Parrots are the friendly cats. They are trained not to bother you, and only come to you if invited. They too were cared for very well. My most favourite was an orange kitten I named "Gatto."
The rooms were spacious and were kept incredibly clean. The housekeeping staff was so friendly. The grounds of the hotel were manicured everyday and the pool was super clean and warm.

The Luna Beach Restaurant
The restaurant was amazing. I had several dishes, my favourite......the Lobster Salad. All of the dishes were delicious. The food was served promptly and hot. The restaurant staff was very nice and looked after us very well. The restaurant is open, and there are tables that sit under umbrellas and eves. There is a Wi-Fi bar that you can sit at that is also open. Having everything open was really welcoming.

The Dive Shop...
three great guys from all over the world...who make an incredible dive team.
Okay, I can't say enough about the dive shop. WOW!!!!! Arturo, is from Argentina and is the dive shop manager. He is wonderful. My son can't stop talking about how he such a great guy and awesome teacher. He was very understanding, patient, and meticulously safety oriented about our diving. I really took a lot of notice to this, as safety was my number one concern. We were truly looked after and when we first met him, we knew we were in good hands. He has a passion for diving and people. He was very encouraging to my son and made the education of diving a great experience. My son took many dive courses with him. My husband and myself took the deep dive course. It was so much fun. I highly suggest taking your budding dive teens to this resort to be educated in diving. You can get can get your complete dive levels here. The classes are serious not just a one day hotel recreation certificate on diving. I highly recommend taking your budding dive teens here to learn how to dive properly. What a great thing to do while holidaying. There's no one better to teach them then Arturo.
Adam is from Victoria, B. C., Canada, and was our dive master who again made sure we were comfortable with our dives and looked after our safety. He is a very skilled diver and knows everything there is to know about diving. He was very helpful with everything and was patient with our stupid questions that arose and our silly behaviours. You will learn a lot from him, even if you are well experienced yourself with diving.
Jose our dive master. I loved Jose who is from Mexico. He was sooo much fun on one hand, but safety conscious on the other. He really took the time to get to know everyone, not just on a dive level, but on a personal level. Jose took roll call many times on each dive. He was very concerned at all times and was very attentive with everything. He was an incredible dive master and made my day brighter and my diving a fun experience. I espeically enjoyed our jive on the dock. lol...
Ferman was the captain of our boat. He also took the time to get to know us. I can't tell you how many times Ferman helped me with my gear. He would help me up and make it easier to get into the water and be there to help me when I go out of the water. Ferman is such a great guy.

The Dive Gear
Although I brought most of my own gear, you can be rest assured that you are getting nothing but the best at the Luna Beach Dive Shop. Their gear is all in really top notch condition. They also have lots of reference books you can purchase at the shop if you feel like catching up on your dive reading.

I had such a great time at Luna Beach. It was so wonderful. I can't say enough good things about it. I will miss all of the staff, including the animals.

Lorena (Lorna) Wood

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We started off with talking to Debbie, who helped us book our stay. She is amazing!!! I must have phoned her approx. 50 times. She was so friendly and patient with me that I felt like I had made a new friend. When we arrived our check - in was fast and efficient. We were settled into our "house" before we knew it! Our house was amazing!!! The staff was friendly and helpful. Richard and Hiram ( our bartenders/servers) were wonderful. Chuck, the owner, was so welcoming and nice. The security staff were friendly and helpful. Jorje and Alex were amazing! Always smiling and happy!!! And of course ever vigilant!!!! But we can't forget the dive shop. The dive shop ran like a well-oiled machine. Dive master Jose rocks!!!!! He made our dives some of our best ever!!! Our boat captain, Ferman, treated us like kings!! His assistance was invaluable on the boat!! Jose was more than a dive - master. He became a great friend and guide. Jose is someone that we would welcome into our home......anytime. We were very happy to see that the cats at Luna Beach are a part of the family ( as we are animal lovers), and are very well cared for. All in all, we would recommend Luna Beach to anyone! We loved staying there and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed with a group of friends in one of the Premium houses here. The house was HUGE, very clean and very comfortable. We had a nice view from our room, although we had to hike up quite a hill to get to it from the beach (good exercise though!). We loved the quiet of our location, just a short walk down the beach from West End. This is a great location to stay in for diving, with the operation right on premise and three dives per day offered just from the resort dock. The dive masters were really friendly and professional and the boat was the best in Roatan - very roomy (extra wide) and a nice sun deck to warm up on. We went from being relatively undecided about diving (not too into it) to feeling really comfortable and enjoying ourselves in just a short time, in part due to the staff - Adam in particular was really cool.

We did need to use insect repellent, mainly to ward off the sand fleas, so be sure to bring some. Also one complaint: while we were expected to wash our own dishes in the kitchen (no problemo) there was no dish soap provided and the utensils in the drawers were dirty when we arrived. Bring your own soap and paper towels! The office personnel was not very personable or service-oriented, so we didn't like dealing with them too much. And if you "pay ahead" for a 10-dive package, don't be surprised if they actually try to charge you MORE for doing 9 dives at the end of your stay (really!!!). Aside from that, however, we really enjoyed our time here and would come again! Definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Rome, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

My wife and I just returned from Luna Beach Resort, Roatan, Honduras. This was our 6th time there in the past 5 years. Once again we had a great time, the Luna Beach Staff always do a great job at meeting our needs. They always have the best food and their dive shop is outstanding! We are already planning to stay there next year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cutchogue, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Totally going back! It was heaven! The staff was friendly and helpful!! They treated me and my friend like family! The property and cabanas are gorgeous! We mostly snorkeled, they have a small little "reef" which is just adorable! The big reef is not too far away, but you cannot swim to it because of the boat lanes. But for a couple dollars, you can get a boat to take you out or you can go with the hotel's dive center! An amazing experience! They also have a "nature reserve" on the property, but we didn't have time to explore it. There was just so much to do! The "downtown" area is a minute walk from the cabanas and we saw some of the most gorgeous sunsets on our walks! We also felt completely safe, they had a guard on duty! 99% of the time we had the beach completely to ourselves, no mosquitos, bugs or cars on the beach! Maybe once a day we would see a local walk by, but that was it! The food is really good the baleada is like the king of all ballads! Not completely authentic, but so good! My friends and I are in our late 20's but we made friends with awesome ladies in their 70's and a family with small children, so it is a good time for all age groups! Very down to earth! I am planning on going back as soon as possible, there is just so much to do and see, and their location is ideal. This place is not for the superficial, it is authentic, warm, and amazing!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

The worst place to go. I would love to see this place go out of business. We were on our honeymoon and they did nothing to make us feel special. The owner was very unfriendly. When we arrived, there was no friendly welcome - just paperwork and a key to our room without any orientation about the resort or the island. We were the only guests there for the first few days until one other family came. The beach is not the greatest and littered with trash. The food is the worst! And way over priced. They nickle and dime you for every little thing - like when I asked for toast with my eggs, I was charged $2.95 more.
You have to pay for beach towels, snorkel gear, internet...
The staff seems spoiled and were not very friendly at all and didn't do anything to make us feel welcome. There is no hospitality at the resort at all. We were served a overpriced drink from the bar in a small plastic cup that was just over half full and weak to top it off.
The electricity went out on the island from 8pm to about 2am which occur sometimes we were told. The problem here is that even though there is a generator on the property, they didn't turn it on for us so we were stuck in the dark, with no fan or A/C. There is no phone in the room and not a single employee around so we completely stuck without help. Imagine if there was an emergency - or forget about it if you just needed something/anything after 7pm.
The decor is really dated and worn. No phone, no TV...there was a coffee pot and dirty mugs but no coffee. We stayed for 4 nights and our bed was always sandy which let us know that they didn't really clean very well. We had to shake our sheets out every night.
The resort is isolated and very lonely at night. It is a long (but beautiful) trek to West Bay where the beaches are superior. The walk to West End is about 10 minutes on the beach which gets old after the first couple of trips back and forth.
There must be better places to stay on this island and if we return to Roatan, we would never again stay at Luna Beach.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Watch out when you're leaving your house. In the bush they're waiting to break in and steal your things. The management want to silence that they have problem with burglery, so watch out.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Luna Beach Resort? Share your experiences!