“Fun excursion, beautiful island” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 30 Activities in West End
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean Connections has something for everyone! We welcome divers and non-divers alike aboard our custom-built 52-foot power catamaran for some fun in the sun. Divers will love our brand new Aqualung gear and exceptional valet service. We also host the only location on the island of Roatan for BOSS underwater motor scooters. BOSS (Breathing Observation Submersible Scooter) is designed to allow you to breathe normally while you drive underwater and experience the undersea world. Featured on the Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, and the Today Show, BOSS offers an exciting new experience for the whole group!
Midland, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Fun excursion, beautiful island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I very quickly fell in love with the island of Roatan. It is beautiful. Time slows here. No road signs, street lights, or apparent road rules exist. Cohibas are dirt cheap in Coxen Hole. They produce phenomenal coffee. The locals are wonderful I LOVE it. Unfortunately, having arrived by cruise ship, we had a mere 6 hours to spend at port. The Ocean Connections BOSS dive was the only excursion that we booked through the cruise ship but it was well worth the money and we had a blast. The OC team provides outstanding service, puts everyone (including me who had not donned a swimsuit in well over 20 years) at ease. I can only explain a BOSS dive as an underwater ride on a one-man scooter whist one's head is cocooned dryly inside a very large helmet attached to an air line--a very unique experience to say the least. The OC team was incredibly organized and took us down with the BOSS equipment in groups of about 10. While we waited our turn, we were free to use snorkeling equipment, unguided and at our leisure. The reef views out there were stunning but if you are not comfortable swimming, you can just hang out in the sun or under the shade on the boat. The only negative that we encountered on this excursion was that the BOSS dive itself can be a bit nauseating and claustrophobia-inducing if you are prone to motion sickness (as am I). Overall, Ocean Connections does a fantastic job taking care of its customers. Frankly, the snorkeling alone was well worth the cost of the excursion but the BOSS dive is absolutely a must-do.

Visited May 2014
Amanda W, Manager at Ocean Connections Water Sports, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hi Heather! Thank you so much for your nice review - we truly appreciate hearing how much you enjoyed the BOSS tour and our beautiful island. I am most proud of how safe and comfortable you felt with my crew. They are a great group and it's wonderful to see how much they influenced your experience. Hopefully we'll see your family back here again soon!

Houston, Texas
“Excellent shop, great diving and underwater scooter experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I visited Roatan in March and went on a Discover Scuba dive through the shop with Jonathan, their dive instructor. My experience was so positive I decided to fly back and get certified with Ocean Connections. During the confined water dive, I had one-on-one training with Jonathan, who is extremely knowledgeable and attentive. His calming nature set my nerves at ease, along with his emphasis on safety and learning during the dives. I wound up diving 7 times with Ocean Connections, and each dive was fantastic. The staff and boat captains are extremely helpful and friendly. Amanda, the shop manager, is also extremely helpful and organized all my dives. She was an invaluable source of information on the island, suggesting places to go, restaurants, etc. We also decided to take a BOSS tour, which was a blast. After a short boat ride, we got into our own personal underwater scooters, and then scooted around the reef with divers as escorts. We saw tons of fish and even a sea turtle- it was perfect for people that don't dive but want the experience, or just for family fun. Again during the BOSS tour the divers were extremely attentive, and we thoroughly enjoyed the tour. The Ocean Connections team truly made our experience so special, we are already talking about visiting again soon!

Visited June 2014
Thanks so much for your lovely review, Lindsey! We had a great time with you in March so I'm thrilled you came back to get certified! You are a natural - Jonathan was just amazed. And thanks for bringing Andy this time, too. We think you guys need to come back on a regular basis from now on ;) Hope to see you soon!!
Waterford, Michigan
“Excellent open water diving experience with Ocean Connections in Roatan Honduras”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I just returned from a weeklong vacation (May 3-10, 2014) at the bay island of Roatan.
My girlfriend and I stumbled upon Ocean Connections during our 1st day when a curious dog stopped by our rental house to investigate the new neighbors. The dog’s owner (Jonathan) turned up a few minutes later to fetch Monkey LALA, which led to a special conversation talking about life, the Island and our adventures. I mentioned I had my PADI Open Water and was looking to do a few dives and snorkeling since my girlfriend is not a diver. Jonathan relayed he was a Dive Master (+ Marine Biologist) at Ocean Connections and they could accommodate our diving and snorkeling needs.
My girlfriend and I showed up the next day in preperations for my 1st dive and my girls top water snorkel. It’s been 4 years since my last dive (in Cancun), so Jonathan took a solid hour to go over the equipment, participate in gear set-up/breakdown as well as shallow water refresher skills in Half Moon Bay. He explained everything very well and in detail and the refresher gave me the confidence for a safe and relaxing experience to come.
After my 1st dive with Jonathan (Mandy's Eel Garden), I was immediately hooked. My girlfriend was also blown away by the snorkel with Tomek at her side watching my dive from above. Roatan's reefs are incredible and I ended up doing a total of 5 dives with Ocean Connections. I was not rushed and felt totally comfortable with Jonathan as my dive buddy. My favorite dives included the Cara a Cara Shark Dive (dive #3), swim through in the Blue Channel (dive #4) and an Advanced Open Adventure Deep Water certification at the 1997 wreck “El Aguila" (dive #5).
All in all, my girlfriend and I had a special experience with Ocean Connections and their staff. We even made some new friends (Amanda, Jonathan, Tomek and Jerrold) and plan to go back in May 2015. I will be signing up for at least 10 dives and my girlfriend has agreed to give scuba diving a try (DSD) based on our fantastic experience with Ocean Connections.

Visited May 2014
Amanda W, Manager at Ocean Connections Water Sports, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you so much for this awesome review, Jody! We loved having you guys as neighbors and I'm so glad you came to dive with Jonathan. He had a great time and we all appreciated your enthusiasm! Next time, Tiffani, we'll get you out there to try it :) Keep in touch guys!
Belgrade, Serbia
“Pictures”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I like the pictures that were taken underwater, they're beautiful, it's not just my opinion but of the other people who have seen them on Facebook and of my colleagues from the Caribbean Princess. The excursion itself is highly professionally and well organized, which includes the theory before diving and riding underwater scooter, as well as safety measures during the dive.

Visited April 2014
Amanda W, Manager at Ocean Connections Water Sports, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
I'm so happy you love the photos! And thank you for taking the time to review us, it means so much to hear that you enjoyed your day with us. Come back to visit soon!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Staff - Excellent experiences”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have dove, went on the under water scooters and this past week went on a snorkeling trip with Jonathan and OC. There were 6 of us on the trip and from the start, Amanda (who runs the operation) along with the rest of the staff, were pleasant and professional. Jonathan who lead us on the trip was very professional and is extremely passionate about the water world and in making sure the guest experience is nothing short of excellent. Once fitted with gear and on the boat we headed to Mandy's Eel Garden. Jonathan briefed us on what we should look out for and how we would navigate the reef. An hour and a half later we were exhausted with awe and it was back to the dock. All along the way Jonathan recapped all that we saw. Highly recommended dive shop for diving, snorkeling and the under water scooters.

Visited April 2014
OCWE, Manager at Ocean Connections Water Sports, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
We love having you over to play underwater with us! Thanks for being such a wonderful neighbor and for your awesome review. Very much appreciated :)