“Good option when snorkeling is bad” 4 of 5 stars

Roatan Shore Excursion: West Island Tour
Ranked #28 of 37 Attractions in West End
Maui, Hawaii
10 attraction reviews
“Good option when snorkeling is bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went to the Roatan butterfly gardens, but dont be impressed with the butterflies. I saw only one type there, the same type I have seen flying around the rest of the island. In fact I saw more dead ones, and broken wings on the plants than I did live ones. However what really made up for the butterflies were the parrots and other birds. Now while I was there, a flock of 5 scarlet macaws flew in from Gumbalimba that roam the island. so that was a treat to see them all about. Also a wondering coatimundi was roaming the grounds at feeding time for the birds. I made the mistake by trying to pet her, and she viciously attacked me. She didnt bite me, but she did claw my arm up and it looks like freddy kruger got me. So dont tease her with food! Also, one of the parrots bit my nose, and there is a chunk missing there too. So be careful with what you decide to hold. The staff there, and the care takers were more than pleasant to tell stories of the birds and animals. They have friendly deer that will lick your fingers, and their bite doesnt hurt at all. They have agoutis that scamper about their cage, and a beautiful toucan as well. There are about 3-4 parrots you can hold there, that sit out on the branches outside of their cages. Oh, also, I was told if I saved my receipt, I could come back any time within 7 days. So I went twice to give my first experience another try. So all in all, 4 stars despite all the bites and scratches.. 7 dollars to get in.. but knowing it goes to feed the animals is worth it. Great if you are a photographer.

Visited November 2012

Falls Church, Virginia
“Where were the butterflies?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Cute little place, though not a lot of butterflies. Great guide and loved all the other animals. Nice, lush surroundings too and low cost attraction.

Visited May 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Took the one year old”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The family loved the butterflies, and all the birds. The guide was informative. Nice morning.

Visited April 2012
california
“Butterfly garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Knowledgeable guide. Very small, but beautiful garden.

Visited February 2012
Montreal, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Fun to see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Guides are very knowledgeable and good for pictures of butterflies and flowers.

Visited March 2012