“Wow - just got back home and already want to go back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos
Save Saved
You added Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos to your Saves list
Carretera Pavimentada Principal, West End, Honduras   |
Tampa, Florida
“Wow - just got back home and already want to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We just returned from Roatan and it was better than we could have imagined.

First off, the island is beautiful, the people are wonderful and everywhere we went people made us feel at home.

We decided to stay at Villas del Playa based on its location and the reviews. The location is ideal – its dead smack in the middle of everything and the view, oh the view – imagine waking up every morning to the subtle sound of waves lapping onto shore as a warm gentle ocean breeze drifts across your body – it was that and more. The condo is right on the beach – about 20 feet from pristine water and a dock. There is pool (you can see from the pictures) right on the beach.

Right down the beach are a number of bars / restaurants that can serve up a collection of local fare, or if you are aching for something from back home, a burger or fries are easy to come by.
Additionally, you can walk to a number of dive shops (Villas del Playa is right in the middle of some of the best diving in the world).

The condo themselves are beautiful; there are all the amenities we take for granted and they were all working, in good condition and clean.

I honestly would love to live here – if you look at the all information about Honduras it is ranked as one of the top destinations for expatriates, and Roatan is one of the best islands in all of Central American – easy to get to and all the amenities of home.

Villas del Playa is the cherry on top of what is an idyllic place.

We will be back next year

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My husband and I and our 2 teenage sons spent 10 days at VDP. Just got back and missing it already. We also miss being totally catered to by Sue Ann! The villas are beautiful inside, every comfort of home. The pools were a great place to float around at the end of the day and watch the sunset. Having access to the rooftop pool and enjoying our meals "up top" was fantastic. We also enjoyed hanging out on our spacious and comfortable balcony when we weren't out and about. The beach is clean and the water is the perfect temperature...well for me, anyway. I hate the cold.

The reef is amazing and one of the best dive spots, the Blue Channel, is about a 5 minute kayak paddle from the beach directly in front of the villas. The glass bottom kayaks were great and it was wonderful to have them whenever we wanted them.

West End is a great little town and just up the road (<5 minute walk) There are a lot of restaurants and bars to chose from. Sue Ann will give you the lowdown on them as you drive through to the villas. The road is dirt and the town is simply strung along the beach. We highly recommend the Chicken Rotisserie and not just for the chicken, which was exceptional. Dola's cinnamon buns are incredible! The Hole in the Wall is worth a visit. You'll find quite a cast of characters hanging out there and the food (all you can eat lobster and steak on Sundays) is great. Nova is also very good. We went there the night they had fresh pork and it was delicious. The Taco Man makes great tacos and gringas. And did I mention that you'll love the prices? Amazingly cheap for what you get at most places.

We found the people very friendly and, of course, Sue Ann knows everyone. We were there during the Easter celebrations, so town was a little chaotic, but still fun. Even with all the loud music and celebrating, once we were back at the villas, it was a return to peace and quiet. West Bay is a lovely beach, but quite frankly it is commercialized - resorts and condos all along it and we were very happy to just go by in Sue Ann's boat and see it from the sea.

Gilma (Vilma) is one of Sue Ann's employees and she is the GREATEST cook ever. Breakfasts every morning were yummy and when she made lunch it was to die for. Her tortillas and chimolte (pico de gallo) made my husbands mouth water. She was there every day to clean our villa. Miguel was also always there with a smile to get us the kayaks, get us an umbrella, carry our groceries up to the villa and anything else we wanted done. We are not high maintenance people and would have been glad to do all of that ourselves, but Sue Ann insisted we were on vacation and we were to do nothing.

Sue Ann IS Villas Del Playa. She is the hardest working, most organized, and energetic woman I've ever met. I cannot tell you all the things she did for us or this review would be longer than it already is. Some WOW moments:

Husband left wallet on the plane. We were driving away when he realized it. Sue Ann was back in the airport, spoke with her United Airlines contact and it was back in his hands in 5 minutes.

We had horrible flight connections back home. When we mentioned this at the last minute, Sue Ann was on the phone and had our 29 hour return trip down to less than 15 hours! She also convinced them to waive the change fee....unbelievable! Then she got us a FULL refund on the hotel we had reserved (2 rooms) for our original 11 hour layover in San Salvador less than 24 hours before we arrived. We would have lost the payment totally otherwise.

My youngest son is an avid fisherman and Sue Ann loves to fish as well. She took him out on her boat with my husband to fish a few mornings. She showed my son how to build some different rigs for his rod, ran around getting him the proper hooks and weights.....she even untangled a totally messed up line on one of his rods. My son caught a beautiful snapper and Sue Ann cooked it for us for dinner. Delicious!

There are so many things she does for her guests and she takes care of all the details, no matter how small. She has a huge personality and is a very warm, friendly and funny lady.

The atmosphere is very casual. We were all barefoot or in flip flops, shorts and a T-shirt were for getting dressed up. So go on down, sit back, relax and enjoy!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

This is our second trip to Roatan Island, the first time we stayed in Half Moon Bay. The VDP property is centrally located for many excursions. You are walking distance to the quaint West End Town and a short water taxi from beautiful West Bay Beach!

The Villas are very comfortable, especially with the roof top outdoor kitchen and private pool! We were pleased that they no longer do an inventory when you first arrive. The kitchen was well equipped and we had many delicious dinners watching the sun set.

Sue Ann was very helpful, starting with airport pick up, on to the grocery store and fresh fish outlet. Anything we needed, she was able and willing to help us out. We liked that she shared her supply of fresh tortillas and also chimolt (Thanks Gilma! ) The daily delicious breakfasts were a nice addtion while renting this condo! We did not feel that we were over charged for any services or were there any hidden fees either. Sue Ann was able to get us to Anthony's Key for a fabulous encounter and snorkel with 18 dolphins and made our departure virtually hassle free. She had us checked in, tourist fees paid and our boarding passes for us the day before we left. We basically showed up to the airport, went through security and boarded our plane. That's great service!!

Yes, there are roosters that start up very early in the morning - bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. And West End has a dirt road and it's very bumpy ( in part to putting in water and sewer) , but it doesn't change the simple easy laid back feeling to this Island .

This won't be our last visit to Roatan or to this property! We will be back.

• Stayed March 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

So Sad because we had to come home today from an amazing paradise on Roatan Island.
Villas Del Playa and Sue Ann were amazing. That is one hard working woman to make sure all her guest are happy. Our two kids age 3 and 6 had an amazing time and found star fish, sea urchins and an airplane right outside our condo to snorkel. The condo was luxury from the granite counter tops to the penthouse bar, simply beautiful. I would highly recommend for all ages. I can not say enough about the perfect location as well. Close enough to twon to get food etc. but still far enough away to feel private. Everything was spotless nad food was wonderful.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, I would bring white noise to cancel out the roosters :) They wake up at 3:30.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I travel very extensively, but my boyfriend had only travelled once in 25 year (with me to Mexico back in October) so I wanted and needed this to be a great holiday for him so that he will continue to enjoy travelling with me, well mission was accomplished. When we returned from our last trip he said it was the best trip he had ever had, well now he says that our stay at Villas del Playa in West End, Roatan was even more wonderful.
The condo's are absolutely beautiful on the inside, a wonderful home away from home in a very comfortable classy way, then add in the pool that we enjoyed every afternoon after a morning of snorkeling... and the sunsets there are just breathtaking!!!
Sue-Ann and her staff are just amazing. Anything you need or they can do for you to make your stay a great one, considerate it done, just ask and Sue-Ann will make it happen, from getting your groceries, to taking you to Hole in the Wall (a must to do), to making dinner and transportation arrangements.... and much more.
I would highly recommend staying at the Villas del Playa to anyone who wants a wonderful holiday that they will never forget!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

My husband and I and another couple just returned from VDP. Our ten days went by to quickly. First of all, we had a delay getting to the island(long story that involves oxygen masks-thanks Delta) and we missed the last plane of the day to the island. We had to stay a night in Honduras and Sue-Ann took care of everything with one phone call such as getting us a driver(that spoke English) and had us a room booked in a safe and guarded hotel. She made the best of a bad situation and we really appreciated her help during this stressful time. We took the first flight of the day and arrived at the villa early-Sue-Ann was there to pick us up and had breakfast waiting for us on the rooftop. Great way to start the vacation! We checked out our villa which was everything the pictures show. HIgh end finishes and plenty of room for everyone to have their own space. We started our vacation kayaking(provided free) out to the a reef 10 minutes away. Nice to have a reef so close to the villa. Our husbands are divers and that is the main reason we chose Roatan. They hooked up with Tyll's dive shop-nice for divers that do not want crowded dive boats. They dove 2 dives a day and most of the time, the fist dive of the day, they were the only 2 on the boat. The dive masters were friendly and helpful.

The West end restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. Many authentic honduran shops to see great woodworking. The roads are having water lines installed and are a complete mess. Don't bother getting a taxi-just walk. It is quicker.
The restaurants were great-we recommmend the taco guy-fresh made tacos on the grill. Not fancy but taste great.
Nova bar for fresh fish of the day-$10.00 for wahoo, rice and vegtables. They also had good dance music at night.
Went to Gios-had to pay a taxi $35.00 and wait for over 2 hours for our food. Would not recommend.
Sundowners for Monkey La, La's cocktail-coconut cream, vodka and condensed milk. Taste soo good!

We went away from West End to see the rest of the island. We went to West Bay Beach for 2 days-best beach on the island. Make sure to visit Infinity Bay Resort-they have a great infinity pool that looks out the beautiful ocean. Bananama for great food, crab races(we won) and fire dancers. The last stop we made was a 45 minute drive to hole in wall-a restaurant that is on the water that serves all you can buffet of lobster tail and filet mignon for $25.00pp. The meal was fabulous and a must do!

To conclude, Our 10 days in Roatan at VDP was great. The difference between staying a large resort and here is that you are not a number. You are waited on every minute-you never worry about anything thanks to the staff, Sue-Ann, Miguel and Gilma take care of all your needs-big or small with a smile. We would recommend this villa to anyone traveling to Roatan waiting to get away from the resort vacation and wanting to relax.

Room Tip: Chose a second floor or higher-views are much better and less foot traffic by your windows.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at VDP in January, 2012. The property is exactly as described, right on the beach, with a beautiful pool and awesome 4th floor deck (with a splash pool).

Our week on Roatan was fantastic, complemented by VDP. Sue Ann, our hostess, was gracious, helpful, and went out of her way to make sure we had a great time.

This was my fourth visit to the island, and we are already considering another visit later this spring after Easter. I'm sure we will stay again at VDP.

Feel free to "personal message" me if you would like additional information on my recent stay at VDP, and this or any one of my other 33 reviews.

A quick note (my opinion) on TA reviews: I am not a beginner to TA. I use TA extensively when I travel outside of Houston (my hometown). I use it for restaurant recommendations, as well as lodging suggestions. I have travelled to many foreign countries, and have written reviews for quite a number of properties and restaurants. I urge everyone to beware of reviews from people who have only a handful of reviews on TA; that usually means they own (or are related to the person who owns) the property, or it means they have an "ax to grind." In addition, I put much more credence in TA reviews for a restaurant or hotel when there are many reviews, as opposed to a small number or reviews. Like managing employees at work, it is almost always best to look for repeated patterns of behavior, either good or bad.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos? Share your experiences!