“Sooo Sad...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos
Save Saved
You added Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos to your Saves list
Carretera Pavimentada Principal, West End, Honduras   |
Sugar Land, Texas
“Sooo Sad...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

So Sad because we had to come home today from an amazing paradise on Roatan Island.
Villas Del Playa and Sue Ann were amazing. That is one hard working woman to make sure all her guest are happy. Our two kids age 3 and 6 had an amazing time and found star fish, sea urchins and an airplane right outside our condo to snorkel. The condo was luxury from the granite counter tops to the penthouse bar, simply beautiful. I would highly recommend for all ages. I can not say enough about the perfect location as well. Close enough to twon to get food etc. but still far enough away to feel private. Everything was spotless nad food was wonderful.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, I would bring white noise to cancel out the roosters :) They wake up at 3:30.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I travel very extensively, but my boyfriend had only travelled once in 25 year (with me to Mexico back in October) so I wanted and needed this to be a great holiday for him so that he will continue to enjoy travelling with me, well mission was accomplished. When we returned from our last trip he said it was the best trip he had ever had, well now he says that our stay at Villas del Playa in West End, Roatan was even more wonderful.
The condo's are absolutely beautiful on the inside, a wonderful home away from home in a very comfortable classy way, then add in the pool that we enjoyed every afternoon after a morning of snorkeling... and the sunsets there are just breathtaking!!!
Sue-Ann and her staff are just amazing. Anything you need or they can do for you to make your stay a great one, considerate it done, just ask and Sue-Ann will make it happen, from getting your groceries, to taking you to Hole in the Wall (a must to do), to making dinner and transportation arrangements.... and much more.
I would highly recommend staying at the Villas del Playa to anyone who wants a wonderful holiday that they will never forget!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

My husband and I and another couple just returned from VDP. Our ten days went by to quickly. First of all, we had a delay getting to the island(long story that involves oxygen masks-thanks Delta) and we missed the last plane of the day to the island. We had to stay a night in Honduras and Sue-Ann took care of everything with one phone call such as getting us a driver(that spoke English) and had us a room booked in a safe and guarded hotel. She made the best of a bad situation and we really appreciated her help during this stressful time. We took the first flight of the day and arrived at the villa early-Sue-Ann was there to pick us up and had breakfast waiting for us on the rooftop. Great way to start the vacation! We checked out our villa which was everything the pictures show. HIgh end finishes and plenty of room for everyone to have their own space. We started our vacation kayaking(provided free) out to the a reef 10 minutes away. Nice to have a reef so close to the villa. Our husbands are divers and that is the main reason we chose Roatan. They hooked up with Tyll's dive shop-nice for divers that do not want crowded dive boats. They dove 2 dives a day and most of the time, the fist dive of the day, they were the only 2 on the boat. The dive masters were friendly and helpful.

The West end restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. Many authentic honduran shops to see great woodworking. The roads are having water lines installed and are a complete mess. Don't bother getting a taxi-just walk. It is quicker.
The restaurants were great-we recommmend the taco guy-fresh made tacos on the grill. Not fancy but taste great.
Nova bar for fresh fish of the day-$10.00 for wahoo, rice and vegtables. They also had good dance music at night.
Went to Gios-had to pay a taxi $35.00 and wait for over 2 hours for our food. Would not recommend.
Sundowners for Monkey La, La's cocktail-coconut cream, vodka and condensed milk. Taste soo good!

We went away from West End to see the rest of the island. We went to West Bay Beach for 2 days-best beach on the island. Make sure to visit Infinity Bay Resort-they have a great infinity pool that looks out the beautiful ocean. Bananama for great food, crab races(we won) and fire dancers. The last stop we made was a 45 minute drive to hole in wall-a restaurant that is on the water that serves all you can buffet of lobster tail and filet mignon for $25.00pp. The meal was fabulous and a must do!

To conclude, Our 10 days in Roatan at VDP was great. The difference between staying a large resort and here is that you are not a number. You are waited on every minute-you never worry about anything thanks to the staff, Sue-Ann, Miguel and Gilma take care of all your needs-big or small with a smile. We would recommend this villa to anyone traveling to Roatan waiting to get away from the resort vacation and wanting to relax.

Room Tip: Chose a second floor or higher-views are much better and less foot traffic by your windows.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at VDP in January, 2012. The property is exactly as described, right on the beach, with a beautiful pool and awesome 4th floor deck (with a splash pool).

Our week on Roatan was fantastic, complemented by VDP. Sue Ann, our hostess, was gracious, helpful, and went out of her way to make sure we had a great time.

This was my fourth visit to the island, and we are already considering another visit later this spring after Easter. I'm sure we will stay again at VDP.

Feel free to "personal message" me if you would like additional information on my recent stay at VDP, and this or any one of my other 33 reviews.

A quick note (my opinion) on TA reviews: I am not a beginner to TA. I use TA extensively when I travel outside of Houston (my hometown). I use it for restaurant recommendations, as well as lodging suggestions. I have travelled to many foreign countries, and have written reviews for quite a number of properties and restaurants. I urge everyone to beware of reviews from people who have only a handful of reviews on TA; that usually means they own (or are related to the person who owns) the property, or it means they have an "ax to grind." In addition, I put much more credence in TA reviews for a restaurant or hotel when there are many reviews, as opposed to a small number or reviews. Like managing employees at work, it is almost always best to look for repeated patterns of behavior, either good or bad.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We just returned from VDP where we not only found the villa to be exceptional but we also found new friends steming from guests to property management. Our trip was hosted by SueAnn who is a very component strong willed individual who takes great pride in maintaining the villas as if Ron was there beside her each and every day.

We also encountered guests with varying degrees of personalities, expectations and opinions. All of which they are entitled to, however what we experienced over the 5 weeks was a very fabulous experience. We took the issues of the sewer and used that down time to regroup and plan our next adventure, or even went to the Blue Channel on the supplied kayaks. We made the best of an issue.... rather than let it ruin any portion of our vacation.

The villa where we stayed in was luxurious beyond our expectations, the service was prompt and SueAnn did an exceptional job to ensure our stay was comfortable, full of adventure and even ensured when my boyfriend got gout that he ate the proper foods, and received the correct medication. She even researched what was good food, bad food and went out to purchase the food for us and delivered it complete with ideas on how to prepare it.

There are some improvements that we discussed directly with SueAnn, but none of which are negative to discourage investing your vacation time. She took our suggestions to heart and was thankful for our help.

Having to do an inventory of equipment in the house is a bit different, but we turned it into a scavenger hunt and discovered what was available for our use! If we had not done that we would not have probably found the juice squeezer or that the place had funky deco art! It was a good giggle for the half hour it took to familiarize ourselves with the place.

The sewer issues were attended to immediately and a plumber was onsite to work on eliminating the problem. I have stayed in various locations throughout the Carribbean and Pacific and encountered worse issues that were never attended to. VDP and the team of people that work there worked diligently to ensure these issues were not intrusive to our stay.

The roosters, the small amount of rubbish, the villa's so-called aging look, the construction zones in the WestEnd, these are all very small concerns to me and If in fact if I were to let these issues cloud my stay, then I would have missed out on one of the most fabulous vacations I have ever had.

We also research the location, property and flights when planning our trips. SueAnn and Ron were a huge part of that experience. We will contiue to use SueAnn as our guide and even hostess. I have provided people with connection to SueAnn for their planning and lodging needs. I have no regrets of staying at the Villa or SueAnn's service as she helped us out in great ways. In fact, I would still be there had I not needed to get back to work.

Room Tip: bottom suite - Villa 1 - walkout right onto the patio, pool and beach
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Newton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Happily the Villas del Playa are located right on the beach in Roatan, and the view from the condos and the roof decks is marvelous, a delightful venue to watch the sunset. The West End of Roatan is very rustic,yet we found two delightful restaurants, Creole Rotisserie and Caribbean Cafe, both serving fine food at very reasonable prices. We dove from Tyll's Dive shop where we were well attended by Ava, an excellent divemaster. Samuel the boat captain was a delight and very helpful throughout. Close by is West Bay, where there is a magnificent beach (especially if there are no cruise ships in).
Villas del Playa has/had great potential. The units are large and confortable, easily accomodating 6 people, but they are showing signs of wear after less than two years. I was fortunate to be in the unit without major issues, but the rest of our family group dealt with sewage and a ceiling leak. The elevator's unavailabilty made it very difficult to communicate with the other half of our group. Also, the area around the condos is rough, with piles of brush and roosters who begin each day before 5am!
For me, the major problem was the manager who almost immediately "trash-talked" both the dive shop and the fishing boat captain we were planning to use, both operations that we totally enjoyed despite her warnings. Unfortunately she was also overheard using profanity, calling our group demanding. We also could barely believe that we had to do the inventory of the units on the first day, counting out the # of forks, knives, dishes, large slotted spoon, etc. I do not enjoy writing negative comments, but the manager's attitude created tension for all of us on this family vacation. (I was one of the people who avoided contact with Sue-Ann as the week progressed.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
newton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I just returned from a weeklong vacation with my family in beautiful Roatan. The island is charming and rustic and the scuba diving with Till’s among the best in the world. Eva was a wonderful dive master and Samuel a fabulous captain! Fishing with Lonnie, who is just down the beach from our condos was magnificent. We ended up going out with him 5 times!! The only downside to our trip was Villas del Playa and their manager. Within the past few months the owner of the property, Ron, passed away and now is being run by his girlfriend. From conversations with islanders HE was the key to Villas del Playa’s success and charm. It was clear from our stay that things have changed.

We booked two condos in this complex that we believed to be “luxury” condos. Unfortunately, it seems since that the units and building have become quite worn down over the year and a half since it was built. The elevator was not working which would not have normally been a problem but, since our two units were on opposite sides of the building it made for an irritating long walk back and forth. Unit 3 had sewage back up issues that made for a very unpleasant smell in addition to one of our guests not being able to use his bathroom and shower. They also had a large ceiling leak as a result of the air conditioning unit that resulted in the ceiling partially falling through. The strangest part of the week in terms of maintenance though was when they decided that they were going to paint one of the bedrooms. Granted the condos do need painting, but we weren’t really sure why they were painting during our stay…shouldn’t that be done on their own time and not ours…Very Strange and certainly would never happen in a luxury place!

Within the first day of being in our units we immediately realized that we had a very strong personality running the condo complex. Although always with a smile and the usual quote “anything to make you happy” Sue Ann had a way of making you feel like everything you asked was an inconvenience. She had an underlying attitude to everything she said for most of the week making us all feel like we should have stayed somewhere else. By the end of the week several of the group was dodging her presence all together. I made a choice on our trip to keep my mouth shut and just observe over the week. What I left with was a very sour taste in my mouth and the certainty that I would never return or recommend Villas del Playa.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos? Share your experiences!