“Beautiful accomadations, great service and close to town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos
You added Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos to your Saves list
Carretera Pavimentada Principal, West End, Honduras   |
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Beautiful accomadations, great service and close to town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

My husband and I and another couple just returned from VDP. Our ten days went by to quickly. First of all, we had a delay getting to the island(long story that involves oxygen masks-thanks Delta) and we missed the last plane of the day to the island. We had to stay a night in Honduras and Sue-Ann took care of everything with one phone call such as getting us a driver(that spoke English) and had us a room booked in a safe and guarded hotel. She made the best of a bad situation and we really appreciated her help during this stressful time. We took the first flight of the day and arrived at the villa early-Sue-Ann was there to pick us up and had breakfast waiting for us on the rooftop. Great way to start the vacation! We checked out our villa which was everything the pictures show. HIgh end finishes and plenty of room for everyone to have their own space. We started our vacation kayaking(provided free) out to the a reef 10 minutes away. Nice to have a reef so close to the villa. Our husbands are divers and that is the main reason we chose Roatan. They hooked up with Tyll's dive shop-nice for divers that do not want crowded dive boats. They dove 2 dives a day and most of the time, the fist dive of the day, they were the only 2 on the boat. The dive masters were friendly and helpful.

The West end restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. Many authentic honduran shops to see great woodworking. The roads are having water lines installed and are a complete mess. Don't bother getting a taxi-just walk. It is quicker.
The restaurants were great-we recommmend the taco guy-fresh made tacos on the grill. Not fancy but taste great.
Nova bar for fresh fish of the day-$10.00 for wahoo, rice and vegtables. They also had good dance music at night.
Went to Gios-had to pay a taxi $35.00 and wait for over 2 hours for our food. Would not recommend.
Sundowners for Monkey La, La's cocktail-coconut cream, vodka and condensed milk. Taste soo good!

We went away from West End to see the rest of the island. We went to West Bay Beach for 2 days-best beach on the island. Make sure to visit Infinity Bay Resort-they have a great infinity pool that looks out the beautiful ocean. Bananama for great food, crab races(we won) and fire dancers. The last stop we made was a 45 minute drive to hole in wall-a restaurant that is on the water that serves all you can buffet of lobster tail and filet mignon for $25.00pp. The meal was fabulous and a must do!

To conclude, Our 10 days in Roatan at VDP was great. The difference between staying a large resort and here is that you are not a number. You are waited on every minute-you never worry about anything thanks to the staff, Sue-Ann, Miguel and Gilma take care of all your needs-big or small with a smile. We would recommend this villa to anyone traveling to Roatan waiting to get away from the resort vacation and wanting to relax.

Room Tip: Chose a second floor or higher-views are much better and less foot traffic by your windows.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at VDP in January, 2012. The property is exactly as described, right on the beach, with a beautiful pool and awesome 4th floor deck (with a splash pool).

Our week on Roatan was fantastic, complemented by VDP. Sue Ann, our hostess, was gracious, helpful, and went out of her way to make sure we had a great time.

This was my fourth visit to the island, and we are already considering another visit later this spring after Easter. I'm sure we will stay again at VDP.

Feel free to "personal message" me if you would like additional information on my recent stay at VDP, and this or any one of my other 33 reviews.

A quick note (my opinion) on TA reviews: I am not a beginner to TA. I use TA extensively when I travel outside of Houston (my hometown). I use it for restaurant recommendations, as well as lodging suggestions. I have travelled to many foreign countries, and have written reviews for quite a number of properties and restaurants. I urge everyone to beware of reviews from people who have only a handful of reviews on TA; that usually means they own (or are related to the person who owns) the property, or it means they have an "ax to grind." In addition, I put much more credence in TA reviews for a restaurant or hotel when there are many reviews, as opposed to a small number or reviews. Like managing employees at work, it is almost always best to look for repeated patterns of behavior, either good or bad.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We just returned from VDP where we not only found the villa to be exceptional but we also found new friends steming from guests to property management. Our trip was hosted by SueAnn who is a very component strong willed individual who takes great pride in maintaining the villas as if Ron was there beside her each and every day.

We also encountered guests with varying degrees of personalities, expectations and opinions. All of which they are entitled to, however what we experienced over the 5 weeks was a very fabulous experience. We took the issues of the sewer and used that down time to regroup and plan our next adventure, or even went to the Blue Channel on the supplied kayaks. We made the best of an issue.... rather than let it ruin any portion of our vacation.

The villa where we stayed in was luxurious beyond our expectations, the service was prompt and SueAnn did an exceptional job to ensure our stay was comfortable, full of adventure and even ensured when my boyfriend got gout that he ate the proper foods, and received the correct medication. She even researched what was good food, bad food and went out to purchase the food for us and delivered it complete with ideas on how to prepare it.

There are some improvements that we discussed directly with SueAnn, but none of which are negative to discourage investing your vacation time. She took our suggestions to heart and was thankful for our help.

Having to do an inventory of equipment in the house is a bit different, but we turned it into a scavenger hunt and discovered what was available for our use! If we had not done that we would not have probably found the juice squeezer or that the place had funky deco art! It was a good giggle for the half hour it took to familiarize ourselves with the place.

The sewer issues were attended to immediately and a plumber was onsite to work on eliminating the problem. I have stayed in various locations throughout the Carribbean and Pacific and encountered worse issues that were never attended to. VDP and the team of people that work there worked diligently to ensure these issues were not intrusive to our stay.

The roosters, the small amount of rubbish, the villa's so-called aging look, the construction zones in the WestEnd, these are all very small concerns to me and If in fact if I were to let these issues cloud my stay, then I would have missed out on one of the most fabulous vacations I have ever had.

We also research the location, property and flights when planning our trips. SueAnn and Ron were a huge part of that experience. We will contiue to use SueAnn as our guide and even hostess. I have provided people with connection to SueAnn for their planning and lodging needs. I have no regrets of staying at the Villa or SueAnn's service as she helped us out in great ways. In fact, I would still be there had I not needed to get back to work.

Room Tip: bottom suite - Villa 1 - walkout right onto the patio, pool and beach
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Newton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Happily the Villas del Playa are located right on the beach in Roatan, and the view from the condos and the roof decks is marvelous, a delightful venue to watch the sunset. The West End of Roatan is very rustic,yet we found two delightful restaurants, Creole Rotisserie and Caribbean Cafe, both serving fine food at very reasonable prices. We dove from Tyll's Dive shop where we were well attended by Ava, an excellent divemaster. Samuel the boat captain was a delight and very helpful throughout. Close by is West Bay, where there is a magnificent beach (especially if there are no cruise ships in).
Villas del Playa has/had great potential. The units are large and confortable, easily accomodating 6 people, but they are showing signs of wear after less than two years. I was fortunate to be in the unit without major issues, but the rest of our family group dealt with sewage and a ceiling leak. The elevator's unavailabilty made it very difficult to communicate with the other half of our group. Also, the area around the condos is rough, with piles of brush and roosters who begin each day before 5am!
For me, the major problem was the manager who almost immediately "trash-talked" both the dive shop and the fishing boat captain we were planning to use, both operations that we totally enjoyed despite her warnings. Unfortunately she was also overheard using profanity, calling our group demanding. We also could barely believe that we had to do the inventory of the units on the first day, counting out the # of forks, knives, dishes, large slotted spoon, etc. I do not enjoy writing negative comments, but the manager's attitude created tension for all of us on this family vacation. (I was one of the people who avoided contact with Sue-Ann as the week progressed.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
La Habra, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My friends and I go to Roatan 2 -3 times a year!!! We love the Island, its people and these villas. Our last trip was in sept, we stayed here and also used their charter service for some deep sea fishing. EVERYTHING was wonderful!!! The condos are new and very clean, my friends and I had the 2 bedroom unit and we could not have been better taken care of then by Sue-Ann. We loved the location as its right in front of the blue channel, one of our favorite snorkeling spots!!! I would HIGHLY recommend this location for people of all ages, Sue-Ann goes out of her way to make you feel at home!!! Big ups to Villas del Playa!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Norwood, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

First the positives:
Villas del Playa is located in paradise. Roatan is a wonderful place to vacation because at very reasonable cost one can do anything from scuba to beach to reading to good food. And a visitor can walk to it all! Additionally there are trips to the Mangroves and other pleasures that transport can be readily arranged. The West End is small, contained, and absolutely delightful. Diving at Till's and fishing with Lonnie Miller (Roatan Anglers) gets no better and it is all a walk away.

Now for the rest:
Billed as a luxury villa, Villas del Playa offers little to go back for and management is not keeping property maintenance up and the facilities look older and are poorly functioning with moisture and sewer issues and a broken elevator. Luxury began and ended with an inventory of pots and pans. Service was minimal and always with an edge and often with hidden fees . All said, the West End is wonderful but unfortunately for this VDP there are just too many other better choices on places to stay. There is not one good reason to recommend this hotel until management owns its problems and addresses them . Blaming victims is never a good idea but even constructive feedback was not welcome and was greeted with defensiveness from management . The place needs immediate attention and management needs to improve!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed here between December 16 to December 30th in the penthouse. Since we were the first guests at this condo we had a few start up problems, which the manager (Sue-Ann) fixed very effectively. The penthouse is in great shape and is luxurious even by western standards. But it does not have enough crockery, cutlery and tupperware ( we were just 3 people and just enough)

Do not expect Roatan to be Hawaii or a developed Caribbean Island. The surroundings of the villa are quite dirty and run down. Our biggest disappointment was west end. This is a real crap hole. It was annoying to see how it was portrayed as a quaint Caribbean town. It did not even have a paved road- just a mud path which gets really messy when it rains. What was annoying was how some people from the west did not want this to be developed to retain its "flavor". Well, what about the local Hondurans - do they not deserve the development people in the west demand from tourist dollars ? However, the restaurants at the west end ( Creole Chicken, Splash inn) were all very good and very reasonably priced. This is a great place to pick up snorkeling/diving supplies . Mares is a good store

If you like the beach, West bay is possibly one of the best beaches in the world and a short water taxi from the Villa. The snorkeling just off the shore is just outstanding. If you do not mind doing this everyday ( like I did not) you will have a wonderful trip. Otherwise, you will be bored here.

Sue-Ann is the condo manager and also runs her own concierge business offering a variety of services. She is very helpful, but our suggestion- ask for the prices and compare. This is something we did not do and felt we were overcharged for some basic things like Tortillas and mailing letters at outrageous prices. Further, we had a free water taxi service, but you need to make sure she is available to take you. This did not work out all the time. I am used to renting a car and being independent. The roads and the development around the Condo did not permit this and this made it real annoying at times as we were almost captive to her service. Further, she kept suggesting restaurants and insisting we tell the owners she sent us. I found that very annoying. Finally, she will volunteer to tale you in all tours. That is very kind, but I suggest you ask around and compare prices. I

I have traveled to many tropical islands ( 41 at last count) around the world (Caribbean, Hawaii, French Polynesia, Thailand, Indonesia..) and the snorkeling and beaches in Roatan is amongst the best. It is even better than the great barrier reef ( easy access, warm and clear water and no jelly fishes). However, I would recommend this island only if you are
intensely in to snorkeling and the beach. Otherwise, a cruise stop should do nicely. But if you do stay here for a while, this Villa is an excellent option.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Barefoot Cay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
5.0 of 5 stars 477 reviews
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Villas del Playa - Luxury Condos? Share your experiences!