“Pleasantly Surprised with Food and Service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Portland, OR
“Pleasantly Surprised with Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Two of us had dinner out on the deck just after sunset and the view was stunning. Throughout the meal we were able to watch distant lightening storms and listen to the waves across the bay. The service was prompt and courteous and the food excellent. We started with lemonade (best so far we have had on the island) and fish balls. The balls were large and came with a tangy/fruity sauce. The salads were fresh and the coconut bread warm. We had the barracuda for our entree and the sauce it came with was light and herby. The fish was tender, fresh and our favorite dish over the last week we have been here. We are planning on going back next week.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Denver
“Romantic Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have visited the lighthouse a couple times the last couple years we have gone to Roatan. I would agree with some of the other reviews that it is a bit pricey and service a bit slow. I would say for West End it is the place to go for a Romantic dinner. It is a little bit off the main road and so quieter. I don't know of a another place in West End that has table clothes. We ordered the fresh catch (Tuna) which was excellent. If you don't mind waiting for the bill while you talk and stare at your sweetie in a Romantic candle lit setting overlooking the night lights of West End I'd say your safe here. Stay with the fresh catch. This is not the place to take the family for quick casual dining.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Best spot for Island style Marinera Soup”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This honestly is the best spot for Island style Marinera Soup. It's cheap (cheaper at lunch time) but you get sooo much sea food in it- lobster, shrimp, crab, conch etc, the bowl is huge i struggled to finish

Visited August 2012
West Palm Beach
“Slow Service, O.k. Food, Cats, Kerosene Fumes at the Table”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I should have guessed when I arrived and didn't see a single guest sitting anywhere, that I was either at the wrong place, or perhaps the wrong time. (It was 7:00 p.m. on a week night.) After waiting a few minutes near two folks engrossed in a conversation, they finally noticed me. I asked if they were open and they said, "Of course, pick any seat you'd like".

I went out to a table near the water. After about five mintues they brought a menu and the specials board. Then they brought out a kerosene lamp that they set on the table--complete with kerosene fumes which were kind of nauseating. I pushed the lamp to the farthest corner of the table away from me and used a flashlight to read the menu. One of the several cats crawling around decided to sit under my table and brush against my leg: I'm allergic to cats and definitely a dog person.

For dinner, I ordered the coconut shrimp special. It seemed to take a very long time for the meal to come out. Great sweet rolls with dinner. The vegetables were also very good and seasoned deliciously. The coconut shrimp was a bit chewy--the shrimp were large, but not tender. After eating, I almost bused the table myself, as I had to wait so long for the server to come out and check on me. (I'm glad I had ordered a large bottle of water, as I fear I would have been dry throughout the meal.) Overall, this was not the worst dining experience of my life. But I have had many better. It was "o.k.". The view near the water is nice. The food is a mix--some good, some not so good. I could do without the Kerosene fumes served tableside. A battery-operated lantern would be sufficient and get the job done nicely.

Visited August 2012
Zacatecoluca, El Salvador
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Disappointing is the only word for it. Although the food itself was very good, the service was unacceptable, and that is saying a lot as we are not very picky. Anyone can have a bad day, or get discombobulated when it's real busy, we understand that. I am hoping it was just a bad day. There were only three couples in the place so it wasn't busy. The appetizers, drinks, and entrees arrived simultaneously. We never got our side orders (rice and vegetables), only the plate of seafood. We were then charged extra when we requested two additional dinner rolls - rolls that were microwaved to death. After reading good reviews of this place in Lonely Planet, it was surprizing to have this experience. But the seafood itself was excellent, abundant and well-prepared. Better luck next time.

• Visited August 2012