“Coconut Tree Cabins Needs LOTS AND LOTS of TLC” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Tree, West End

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Coconut Tree, West End
You added Coconut Tree, West End to your Saves list
West End, Honduras   |
Dallas, Texas
“Coconut Tree Cabins Needs LOTS AND LOTS of TLC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I visited Roatan for a week to dive and using Coconut Tree Cabins would have given me a pretty good package. I requested a sea view cabin. However, upon arriving at Coconut Tree and being assigned to one of the cabins I was very displeased that it was on the back of the lot, not that I would have been able to see the water because the view is blocked in all of them. The moment I walked in I was ticked by the musty smell and state of disarray at the cabin with old beds and plastic table and chairs. I sat on the mattress for a second and it was very uncomortable. I realized this was not a place I could stay. I believe these cabins have great potential but as of today they are dark and musty. The owner at Coconut Tree Cabins could cater to many customers due to its convenient location. I'm sure there are guests that would not mind paying a bit more, just like I did, to get a room with a clean fresh smell, comfy bed and a nice environment. I understand there are renovations being made but for what I was able to see, they are slow.

I ended up staying accross the street in a room with a beutiful ocean view and did not feel the extra couple hundred of dollars spent as it was well worth it. I was happy that Coconut Tree was flexible enough to allow me to move without penalty, so I was not stuck at a place I didn't feel comfortable with.

If you can stand mildewy smell and below average cleanness and just need a place to crash and don't care to sleep on a stiff mattress this might be the place for you. If you expect a tidy place and a comfortable bed, I advise you look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I knew I would have a hard time finding a place that could compare to the incredible experience I had on Utila earlier in July, but diving with Coconut Tree Divers was great in its own right. The dive shop was an awesome combination of well-run, clean, safe, and a good time! The instructors were bad-[--] and skilled, and the clientele was fun to hang out with. Really enjoyed the personal attention I was given, yet larger boat groups made it a more enjoyable, caribbean party type atmosphere. Rates were good, and the location was central and easily reachable. I stayed in the dorms for $5 a night, and was pretty impressed; air conditioning and a large room size with lockers was really nice! Felt very welcomed and part of the group overall. Other dive shops on the island can't compare! Although it does seem to be a fairly male dominated shop, I didn't feel awkward or isolated or anything of the sort. One final note, if this sort of thing appeals to you, Coconut Tree offers reduced dives to medical volunteers on the island, which is incredibly noble and philanthropic of them. Very cool and socially responsible! Dive with coconut tree on roatan!

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
washington, dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

Worse Hotel I have ever stayed in. Very musty smell. Flying ants come out at night after midnight. Woke up to go to bathroom. Almost had a heart attack. Floor was filled with bugs and ants. Spent an hour killing bugs. After fighting off the bugs, laided back down, noticed a lizard crawling on the wall. Moved to a new room the next day. No bugs this time, but saw another lizard. Couldn't wait to get out of that place. Had to stay 2 more days because no flights till Thursday. Would not recommend this hotel at all. If you insist on staying, bring your bug spray, air freshner, bathroom cleaner and wash cloth. Hotel provided no wash cloth. Just 2 towels a day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Coconut Tree, West End? Share your experiences!