“Excellent vacation.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa del Sol

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West End
Casa del Sol
Save Saved
You added Casa del Sol to your Saves list
Carretera Pavimentada Principal | Half Moon Bay Beach, West End, Honduras   |
Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in West End
Surrey BC
“Excellent vacation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed in the Casa del Sol over Easter and had a fantastic vacation. The location was really good, close enough to walk to shops and restaurants. The beach is only a block away. The room was incredibly clean and has the added bonus of a kitchen, with the all important coffee maker! I loved sitting on the balcony with my morning coffee looking at the beautiful tropical gardens.

We will be back!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
kansas city
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Recently stayed at Casa del Sol 31 Mar- 7 Apr 12. Last minute travel plans so was probably lucky to get a room anywhere at West End, but I would warn anyone that Casa del Sol should be more accurately described as a backpackers hostel.....it is pretty dumpy, and I'm not a guy that needs 5 star luxury. My room on the first floor faced east and the curtains on the window are practically see-through, so by 6:30 am the full sunlight was shining through....no sleeping for me. The walls are so thin you can hear anything next door, including the crying infant I had next door to me the whole week.....this is the first place I ever stayed in my life where I had to put mosquito repellent on at night to ward off insects.....too many gaps under the door I guess and who knows where else...I could have really used a mosquito net of some sort. The fan worked well but thought the room was excessively hot most of the time.....didn't use the air con ($15 extra a night) until the last night and it was the first decent night's sleep I had all week. There are a million barking dogs around the hotel on neighboring property who seem to want to bark for HOURS ON END at night, just to add to the misery.

The staff were all nice to me but basically this place is subpar.....I will not stay there again nor would I recommend it to anyone unless you want a camping style vacation.

Room Tip: Find another place in town!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
casa-roatan, General Manager at Casa del Sol, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are very sorry your stay at Casa del Sol did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look at the issues you raised during your stay for Semana Santa last week.

Easter week is a very, very busy time on the island as it is Central Americas biggest holiday of the year and the noise levels are very high – and unfortunately this does create a problem for us with the neighbouring dogs and the noise from the many Easter tourists who are out very late in the evenings.
Our goal is to keep ask our guests to respect the other guests and to keep our property as quiet as is possible during this very busy week. We were full for the week and I do apologize that you were disturbed by the baby staying in one of the rooms.
If we could have, we would have offered you a different room to reduce this annoyance to you- unfortunately as you mentioned we were full.
We will look at the issue regarding the light coming in through the curtains and also apologize for the problem you had with mosquitoes – we have had mosquito nets in the past and guest have told us that using the fans or the optional a/c has been sufficient at keeping them comfortable. As a result of your experience, we will look at having mosquito nets available for those guests who would like to use them.
April is a month where the weather patterns are a bit funny in Roatan - as there is a switch in the trade-wind patterns and it can be quite still and this change in the normal breeze we have from the east can also change the rooms’ comfort level reducing the airflow through the windows and keeping mosquitoes away. As many people opt to keep their windows open and use the ceiling fans - instead of paying for the optional a/c - I understand there can be noise travelling from one room to the other even though the walls are concrete (which does generally keep things cooler in the tropics).

Once again we are very sorry your stay in Roatan did not meet your expectations. But, we are happy to hear our staff and service from them met your expectations and that with the a/c you did get a couple of good night’s sleeps. We do hope you enjoyed the beaches and the great diving while on the island.

The Management Team at Casa del Sol – Half Moon Bay, West End, Roatan
Farmingdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I ended up having a flight issue and met Leigh and her daughter (review below) who allowed me to stay with them for a few nights until I left Roatan. The owner did not charge me for staying with them either. The hotel was very nice, clean, and good rates for longer stays. It is a bit expensive for shorter stays. Definitely worth it and close to the water (about a block away). Very quiet at night, no loud music. The owner and manager are very sweet and friendly too. Definitely worth it especially since theres a kitchenette where you can cook meals (with a mini fridge too)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here and found it met our needs very well - especially for the price! It is clean, comes with a basic "kitchen" so you can make your own meals when you want, hot shower and, if you want, air con. We have traveled a lot and of all the places we have been, this place had the most comfortable beds!! It's handy to the main drag/beach and very secure, thanks to the resident dogs!

Room Tip: We liked #1 on the bottom - no connecting room/door.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My partner and i stayed here for 5 nights and then stayed 2 nights at another hotel at the west end.

The positives were the rooms had a kitchen, good showers (hot water) and the option of air con if needed. Also, they supplied drinking water and was in a quiet location.

The negatives for us were that the rooms are just concrete blocks so felt unappealing and ours smelt a bit musty. Wifi didn't work in or outside our room, so we had to sit outside other peoples rooms closer to the hotspot. No mosquito nets (really needed on Roatan) or hammocks and the walls in the room are quite thin (don't play music or talk too loud). It's a little bit back from the main street, so bring a torch so you don't have to stumble back after going out.
Also, the manager organised a taxi to pick us up from the ferry, and for that service, we paid $20USD. We thought that must be the normal price for a taxi on the island and maybe just a small premium for her ringing for us, but when we organised a taxi back to the ferry, it was only $10USD (why the big price difference?). i just thought the manager should have told us that we will be charged a $10 premium for the taxi she organised.

Overall, it's probably really good for backpackers because of the kitchen facilities in the room, but we really preferred Posada Arco iris (stayed for 2 nights after casa del sol) which had superior rooms, private patio with hammock, was across the road from the beach, had good wifi coverage and the atmosphere was better.

Room Tip: if wifi is important to you. Make sure you get one of the rooms closer to the road/entrance for good...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We (my boyfriend and I) stayed in Casa del Sol in November 2011 for 15 nights and were so glad we were recommended it. It is located in a quiet area but just a 300metre walk to the dive shops, restaurants, and shops. The room we stayed in on the bottom level was great with it's ensuite, kitchenette, and patio area to for dining outside. The rooms were clean and tidy and the maid came everyday to clean and make the bed, towels and sheets were changed regularly. We consider it great value for money especially considering how clean and quiet it is and that you can cook your own meals on the gas stove, make your own coffee in the coffee maker or chill out in the garden or patio area. It was great for a longer stay as it was comfortable and it was nice to get to know fellow stayers and share dive experiences. The management was friendly and helpful and able to offer cheaper rates if staying longer than 6 nights. Our friends moved there from other accommodation in West End and ended up staying on another week! We definitely recommend it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

First off I was impressed with their use of social media. I had been looking for a place for us to stay during our visit to Roatan and had found several options when this hotel responded to my tweet with a link to their site & info that they have a trampoline for my son. The price for a place with a full kitchen was too good to resist. We were not disappointed either!

There are several dogs on the property, but they're harmless. They bark a lot when you first arrive, and then they calm down. The patio is WONDERFUL. It's nice and large, has a clothesline, a hammock, and a small table with some chairs. It overlooks the garden and has a wonderful tropical feel.

A/C is extra, which is common in Central America. The 1st few nights we did fine with just the ceiling fan; however, temps got a bit higher and humidity increased and we decided on the A/C. It's really worth the extra amount not only for comfort but also because the walls are very thin and when fellow guests are outside on their patios it makes sleeping with the window open difficult.

The only thing that could make the kitchen better would be a small microwave, but otherwise there are more than enough pots & pans, dishes, utensils, etc. We even made homemade gnocchi while there no problem.

The location is close to West End without being in the midst of all the hustle and bustle. It's also easy to grab a taxi on the road in front of the hotel.

The driveway to the hotel is a little rough, and we had family members slip on it twice, so be careful with that part. There is no TV in the room either. Not a problem for us, but if you need one . . .

Definitely recommend this hotel for solo, couples, and small families.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casa del Sol? Share your experiences!