“Best shop on the Island!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 30 Activities in West End
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of West End, Coconut Tree Divers is the oldest PADI IDC Centers on the island. The shop offers four daily dives: the morning boat leaves at 9:00 AM for two dives and returns at around 12:30 PM. The afternoon dives go out at 1:00 and 2.30 respectively. Night dives are available every Tuesday and Thursday. The shop's second boat, Wish U Were Here, is dedicated for cruise ship visitors on various cruise ship schedules. There is the option of a one day experience program, PADI Discover Scuba Diving, for those who want to try scuba diving for the first time. The program involves some basic theory in the classroom, a short session in shallow confined water, followed by a 45 - 60 minute dive in the afternoon. The shop's friendly, experienced staff will guide you through the various dive sites in Roatan's reef system. Nitrox and Trimix are also available. Snorkelers are also welcome.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Ovilla, Texas, United States
“Best shop on the Island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I went to Roatan last summer to do my Rescue course and Divemaster internship with Coconut Tree. I knew no one when I showed up and had more friends than I could count after my first night on the Island. They made me feel so at home and made me love the place so much that I decided to stay another month and do my Instructor Development Course as well, with Course Director Will Welbourne. He is an amazing teacher and I would not have chosen anyone else on the island to take my IDC with. I made some great friends and can't wait to go back to the island! Thanks so much to all of you guys down there...PJ, Gay, Tree, Jose, Natasha, Marco, Rags, Rick, Bear, Monty John, Justin, Capn Carl and Capn Fred, and of course our Barista Steve, you made my trip there something I will remember fondly forever. I think of you guys daily! CTD for life!

Visited October 2011
marcoa211, Manager at Coconut Tree Divers, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hey Austin,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us. See if you can make it back for the shop's 11th birthday party on April 20. Best of luck to you and keep diving.

--marco

El Paso, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Wow! Best Dive Experience I've Ever Had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Granted, I'm a pretty new diver, but I've been diving in Grand Cayman and Cozumel and I was blown away by my experience with Coconut Tree. First off, they did not charge extra for letting me use a wetsuit. Minor detail, but it was nice to feel like I wasn't being nickeled and dimed to death. Second, they went out of their way to accommodate our cruise schedule. It turned out our Cruise ship was leaving one hour earlier than anticipated and they worked with us to make sure we could still get a dive in with them. Next, the dive master went out of his way to check our equipment, the amount of weight we would need and made sure we were absolutely on the same page about what we would be doing. He looked us straight in the eye at all times and never rushed us. I cannot believe the amount of personal attention we received. The shop trains dive masters and these mentees are everywhere as backup support. They even paired us up with one of the mentees, so we got personal attention start to finish about the island, the reef, the dive, and anything we needed help with. She was also hunting lion fish during the dive, so it was fun to watch her snag one and feed it to the fish during the dive. Seriously impressed by these guys.

Visited August 2012
Hi Jim,

It's been a bit since you guys came off the cruise ship for a dive, but I remember your comment regarding the dive experience at the previous stop. It was something along the lines of geared up and splash in, with no briefing. Safety is paramount at Coconut Tree Divers and we thank you for your testimonial showcasing this fact. It was my pleasure to dive with your group. Blue Channel is usually a great dive.

Best of luck in your future dive adventures and we hope to see you again.

Cheers from Roatan,

-marco
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Dive Dive Dive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've been diving nearly 20 years and can't say I've encountered a better shop to dive with.
If you like to dive a lot, Coconut Tree is ABSOLUTELY the place to go. The staff is very knowledgeable, friendly both above and below the water. They do lots of dives a day and between dives don't mind treating you as one of their own "family" - even if you see them out in the evening too.

There are various DMTs in addition to paid staff, it took me a bit to figure out who was whom. The owners will assist you with any gear or guidance you need too. The shops location is pretty ideal for the West End.

Instead of lugging my gear from the hotel back and forth, they gave me a locker to keep my gear overnight. The boat they have is pretty spartan and they offer only water - so if you get hungry between dives bring your own snacks.

There is also a fantastic sandwich "guru" that comes by after the morning dives and sells you a hot lunch for 50 lempiras or so.

Visited August 2012
marcoa211, Manager at Coconut Tree Divers, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hey Raj,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Our Hole in the Wall dive was amazing. We thought you would enjoy that. Not many people get to see the back cavern or the side room and the silversides were out in full force. We posted pictures on Facebook as we usually do. You left your custom mouthpiece on the front desk. Send us an address and we will make sure it finds its way home. Best of luck in DC and we hope to see you soon.
Bree, Belgium
“No one wants to leave Roatan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Me and my boyfriend James completed our PADI Divemaster at CTD over the summer of 2012. We have travelled alot over the past year but this was definitely one of the highlights, if not the highlight of the trip. We both learned alot and improved our diving skills immensely as well as made some great friends from all over the world.

The companionship from fellow DMT (Dive Master Trainee’s) and instructors is usually excellent and apart from working together social interactions after work are a ‘must do’ in order to enjoy the total experience of a Dive Master course in Roatan.
The information and training provided was generally excellent and the instructors will definitely make time to educate you on your mistakes and to perfect your skills, particularly if you take the initiative and ask for feedback.

The reef life is amazing with near perfect visibility, the coral formations make appreciate on every dive the amazing diversity of life under water and remind you each time why you like diving. On every dive you encounter a huge variety of fish species and almost certainly run across larger marine life such as turtles and many crustaceans. Even larger marine life such as Sharks and Rays are not as common but all the more special for that when encountered.

Doing out DMT with CCT was a great life excperience wich we wont forget soon!!!

Visited July 2012
marcoa211, Manager at Coconut Tree Divers, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Hello Sara,

We miss you as well. Thanks for your time with us at Coconut Tree Divers and for the review. Say hello to James. You know our number, call us, Maybe!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I Wouldn’t Go Anywhere Else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Since being introduced to Coconut Tree Diver’s, I have completed my Adv. Open Water, Rescue Diver and Divemaster. I’m now working on returning for my Instructor Development Course in the up-coming winter. Just like the title says, I won’t go anywhere else! The thorough academic curriculum, concern for safety and overall outstanding environment surpass any imaginable expectations.

Coconut Tree harmonizes the diverse background of staff, students and customers. Everyone plays their part. The staff is not only knowledgeable, but thorough, constructive, environmentally respectful and diverse in their teaching techniques. Students, whether they stay for a day or 10 weeks like I did, they share something with one another that no one else can. They know what it means to be a Coconut Tree Diver! While there, they are each other’s support system. They work together, play together, celebrate together, criticize each other (jokingly & professionally), and push each other to be the best diver at their given level that they can be. I know while I was there, I learned a new level of leadership, attention to detail, responsibility and respect for my sport! It was an influential, and in my case life-changing experience, to say the least. The customers and fun divers come in to complete the triangle! They bring an unstoppable, fresh energy onto that dive shop deck! Multiple groups might be there at once, but they have all come to Coconut Tree to dive! No matter who you are, you’re going to have a great time, being a participating ingredient in such a perfect recipe and combination of excellence!!

Visited June 2012
Hi Courtney,

Thanks for the review. Ten weeks is more than most people are able to commit at one time to improve their diving knowledge and skills underwater. In the grand scheme of things, ten weeks go by fast and usually students want to stay longer. It is rewarding for all of us to see the transformation of a new diver into a dive leader. From customer service, setting up the boat, describing courses, briefings, exploring the reef, respecting the marine life, being safety minded, pointing out and identifying critters, and working as part of a team, you rocked. Excellent! And who can outdo the barnyard dance, which I still do underwater? Thank you for hard work.

We look forward to your return as you continue in your PADI Pro objective and become an Open Water Scuba Instructor. Always wishing you the best CTD.