“In the best possible way, this place is NOT for everyone” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandy Bay
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Cahoon Ridge, Sandy Bay 33166, Honduras   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Sandy Bay
New York City, New York
“In the best possible way, this place is NOT for everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Don't let my subject line put you off, this place is awesome. However, if you want a traditional hotel experience, keep looking. If you are a savvy traveler and know how to make yourself at home and only need a little guidance along the way, there's no place better than TranquilSeas! We considered a couple other options on the island and after seeing them, we are especially glad to have been at TranquilSeas. The location is ideal. Remote enough, but easily accessible to West End and West Bay. Beautiful, clean, well-kept. And as with any smaller business, the people make all the difference. Chris, Monica, Paul, Alex, Kent, Barry, Juan, Victor, Isabel--I hope I'm not forgetting others (even Scrumpy, P, and Feo) were incredible. They even made my birthday extra special with a TranquilBreezer, amazing paella, and gooey chocolate cake with candle! I really could go on and on about the place, the people, the food, the atmosphere. We did all the requisite traveling around the island and never found a place we loved as much as TranquilSeas. I'll close with a couple of tips: This is probably not a great place for toddlers/little children (lots of stairs) and PLEASE consider bringing school supplies to be donated to schools in need!

Room Tip: View didn't matter to us. If you are in Turtle and you are a light sleeper, keep in mind there w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I just returned from an amazing week of diving at Tranquilseas. From the start, Chris was incredibly helpful organizing my AOW certification and providing me with an overview of the lodge. It's a beautiful spot situated on Sandy Bay. Monica is a terrific cook and Juan was great at the bar. The family like atmosphere was totally mellow and everyone was kind to remind me that this was "my vacation" and anything I wanted to do the island was easily arranged. Another couple and I rented a car on our last day and, having seen the rest of the island, I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else. Our dive master, Kent, was extremely knowledgeable and showed off some terrific areas. I'd recommend eating the Baleada every morning, lunches were great, and don't miss Tapas and Tunes on Tuesdays. It brings in people from around the island and is a really chill evening - again, killer food. If you're looking for a spot to go solo or as a couple, this is the place - I stayed in the Eagle Ray cabana and it was perfect. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a week at Tranquilseas and also didnt want to leave - the room was beautiful and clean and the food was great. Thank you to Chris and Monica for making the place so wonderful and our stay so comfortable. Kent was a great dive instructor and very patient especially with us not having dived in 10 years! We really enjoyed the refresher course.
Chris was a mine of information about the island and both he and Monica are very knowledgeable and helpful about places to see and visit.
My highlight was visting the Blue Harbor Tropical Arboretum - I was amazed at how many plants and trees there are on the island - some I have never heard of. I got some samples of fruit to try and had a lot of fun later that evening with friends trying the amazing "Mata Sabor" fruit. Amazing experience. Can't wait to come back again one day!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hummingbird room - it had good views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Visalia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful lodge, delicious food, gracious host and hostess (Chris/Monica), and friendly staff (Isabel, Juan, Kent). Anything that you need, from scuba to zip lines to massages, Monica can arrange it for you. Each room in the five, soon to be seven, suite lodge, is unique with special Roatan island touches. Roatan is reminiscent of Acapulco in the fifties and sixties, before corporate hotels moved in and turned it into a strip of condos and hotels. This was a serene and relaxing vacation in which we were lucky enough to have a wonderful dive instructor, Kent, who introduced us to the breathtaking underwater world. We enjoyed tasty lion fish ceviche that was caught on our dives by Kent and Chris's dad, Paul. Rustic luxury in a secluded setting. Come soon before the developers invade.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just want to think Chris, Monica, and Kent for making our stay at Tranquil Seas a perfect experience. Kent was hugely helpful in me gaining my SCUBA certification and Chris was the only reason that we were able to get back to the states through a storm.

Tranquil Seas is comfortable, beautiful, relaxing, and perfect. Standing on the dock with the entire staff and all the hotel guests, drinking a bottle of champagne, and watching fireworks over the island was the perfect way to transition into the new year.

Hats off. We will be back and I hope that it's soon!

Room Tip: The turtle was comfortable and cozy.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Tranquilseas is a lush and relaxing space, beautifully thought-through and ingenious in its use of space. I really appreciated the our well-designed room, and the open-deck "living area", where we spent most of our time.

Chris and Monica go the extra mile to make their guests feel taken care-of, yet simultaneously encourage them to make themselves at home.

Diving with the Tranquilseas crew was fabulous. Kent and Patrick took great care of us, and we had some truly excellent dives. The boat and our rental gear were all well-maintained, and aside from some troublesome O-rings we were perfectly comfortable.

When we weren't diving we spent a lot of time snorkeling out in front of the resort. Just off the pier is a small artificial reef that is fun to explore. A ten-minute swim gets you out on the actual reef, where you can spend literally hours fish-watching.

We took a few forays outside of the resort, and Chris was a master at getting us transportation, and even a deal at one of the local zip-lining operations. We learned early on to just "ask Chris", because he knew everyone and could find out anything.

All in all, we very much enjoyed our time at Tranquilseas. I appreciated their commitment to being environmentally responsible, and the myriad ways in which they encouraged us to do the same. This has to be the way of the future, and I am pleased to see that it can be done with such beauty and comfort. Thank you Chris and Monica!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

If you are looking to get away from the "city grind" and to have a rest full vacation this is great spot. No television, no computers. You can do some nice snorkeling just off the resorts peer or take boat trips for further snorkeling and diving spots. Neither I or my wife are divers but the resort It's truly designed for divers daily trips. Besides doing the orientations Jhanan runs the "Sunken Ship" bar and is the most accommodating and personable bar tender that you will ever meet....he let me play music from my Ipod thru the stereo system in the bar which made my vacation more enjoyable. The "Tranquil Breeze" drink is pretty potent so proceed with caution after two of them you wont feel any pain (the rest is up to you). Tuesday night they have a live band and it's Tapas Night (the Shrimp & Avocado salad is awesome). They have an honor system in which if he is not there you make your drink or pour your beer and mark it on your tab. Monica is great in the kitchen and very friendly and hospitable. Chris made sure that everything was going smooth. We had the best room in the house which is the "Hummingbird" a true lovers nest with a hammock, a table for two and front porch overlooking the ocean. If the bar is empty at night take a $3.00 cab to "West End" and enjoy good restaurants and bars (they show NFL in HD) almost everybody speaks English and there is basically no crime on the island. One of the high lights of the trip was that the locals are not "pushy" like they are on other islands. The resort is committed to natural preservation so do your part. We went to "unwind" and truly felt totally rested. It's a beautiful small resort and they will make you feel right at home and leave you alone at the same time. A memorable time. Let yourself go!

Room Tip: Look at the pictures of the rooms then choose whats best for you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center? Share your experiences!